UKBouldering.com

Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread) (Read 1357769 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
Congrats to Rich for winning the Fantasy League this season, third time lucky lad!  :thumbsup:

A disappointing 8th for me despite a strong start. Need to finish a bit more like Everton next season...

Any chance you could post up the full result table (lost my password..)?
and congrats to Rich....

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

#   Team   Manager   GW   TOT
   1   Woolton Wanderers   Richard Hession   36   2,063
   2   Snowtown FC   Ben Tyrrell   33   1,981
   3   sxrxg fc   Ste Graham   34   1,916
   4   Lincoln Latics   Adam Lincoln   35   1,889
   5   Real Insitu Draws CF   Jasper Sharpe   31   1,863
   6   Big Viv Allstars   Andrew Platts   31   1,850
   7   Youngys Crushers   Mark Young   43   1,826
   8   Fatnecks Flops   Simon Huthwaite   45   1,797
   9   Barmbys Ball Bags   Tom Tom   45   1,794
   10   Ari's Gold   NK S-T   40   1,771
   11   Supersharpshooters   Daniel Short   32   1,771
   12   Wooden Spooners   richard dickens   38   1,732
   13   Z-Tone United   Tom Crane   42   1,717
   14   HughtonsHuff+Puffers   Ian Thomas   47   1,677
   15   High Peak 11   Ben Tye   43   1,668
   16   Wimberry Wanderers   Dave Laking   17   1,630
   17   NICK CLEGG LEG DROP   phil johnston   32   1,618
   18   Grubers Losers   Luke Donaldson   39   1,582
   19   Golts Goal Scorers   Mike Tyson   30   1,504

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Well done Rich. Absolutely pissed it in the end.

rich d

• forum hero
Was just going to ask for someone to post up the FF table too, as I'd lost my password months ago. I think next year I may have to change my team more than twice.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Well well well. What a day. A real emotional roller coaster.

I'm 41 and have been supporting City since I was tiny as an inheritance from my parents and grandparents who were all born and raised in Rusholme and Fallowfield.  Gran had a house on Dalton Avenue, one of the small terraced streets surrounding Maine Road.  My first girlfriend at school, was Joanne Parker, now Lake and married to Paul. I married a true blue, Nicola, a season ticket holder with her Dad.

Yesterday, I took a train into town with Martin (Daley), his brother and Pete and we found a pub near Piccadilly showing the match.  Full of Blues and a bunch of Leeds supporters on a stag-do rooting for City.  Nerves settled a bit after Zab scored and we were horsing around after half time when QPR scored. Shit.....

When Cisse scored the second we were distraught, shouting at screen trying to summon something from our players who seemed unable to hit the target. Screaming at Barton. I went outside for a cigarette (I gave up smoking a long time ago) and talked to a girl outside saying 'We've blown it'. I couldn't believe we'd thrown it away.  Then a roar from inside the pub, the equaliser. I ran back down the steps and we stood clutching each other as the minutes ticked away.  C'mon, c'mon, c'mon. Then it happened, the miracle. Aguerro, keeping a cool head slots the ball away to win the fucking league in injury time.  The place erupted, screams of joy and elation. Tears, songs, champage being sprayed and drinks shared.  I cried.  Those of you that know me well know its been a tough year and I always thought I'd be celebrating this moment if it ever came with my wife but sadly that's not to be.  I just hope she didn't leave the match early with her Dad to beat the traffice and missed the goals.

Outside the pub, cars passing, horns tooting with flags and scarves draped out of the window. We go to another pub to celebrate.  Feeling drained and reflective.  Some food at a Chinese restaruant and then onto Piccadilly with hundreds of others. To cheers, two young lads climb the statue of Wellington draping a scarf round his neck and placing a trophy in the hands of the male warrior at his feet.  Then a lift home from a generous girlfriend of Pete. "you lot stink" Burp....

I fell asleep on the sofa in my rented flat and woke up, contact lenses glued to my eyes in the small hours and slunk off to bed.  Woke early without a sore head and have been on the computer watching replays and reading all the news.  I know it's only a game but days like that will stick in the memory.

Thanks for all the Tweets, texts and best wishes.  I'll be off to the victory parade later if anyone's in town and fancies a pint or two.  It'll be a good one and welcome to anyone.

CTID.

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak

I watched SSN all afternoon yesterday following my spanking at the cliff. It was brilliant telly. Sod the punditery, Merson singing blue moon, and going mental saying they got love bites and every thing was possibly my favourite sky sports moment all season. Well that or Hunt scoring in the second half on saturday

Plus the live footage of a guy on his phone in the united end and the look of horror as he gets told city have scored. A moment to live in the ages.

#   Team   Manager   GW   TOT
   18   Grubers Losers   Luke Donaldson   39   1,582
Thats pretty shocking will have to try harder next year

Well done Rich

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
This is really good. Footage from Sunderland and Manchester in real time, side by side.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
The guy at 3.25 listening to the radio is fucking priceless (as mentioned by Grubes). You can just make out him saying "they've scored" (or similar) as it cuts away from him.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/alex-ferguson-puts-on-brave-face-as-premier-league-title-is-ripped-from-manchester-united-7743451.html

There was cruelty, when sections of Sunderland supporters began doing an impromptu Poznan, the dance of the blue half of Manchester.

:tease:

tomtom

• forum hero

There was cruelty, when sections of Sunderland supporters began doing an impromptu Poznan, the dance of the blue half of Manchester.

:tease:

Its a huge playground...

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Footage from the stands at Sunderland when the news comes through.  Classy reaction from the Sunderland fans  :thumbsup:.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
This is a good little piece about why people (Man United fans) saying City "bought the title" need to have a think:

United spent almost £20m on Anderson and even when he's fit, he hasn't been good enough. And what of £30m Wayne Rooney and £30m Dimitar Berbatov? United have no moral high ground on spending.

http://sport.uk.msn.com/football/back-of-the-net/manchester-city-a-title-won-not-bought

I've been trying to point this out to people for ages. Yes, Man United generate their own income but why this means they supposedly take the moral high ground I'm not sure? It's only because they were successful at the right time and in doing so gained loads of glory seeking supporters from Essex to Singapore.

They have always had the spending power to hoover up all the best talent, particularly from rival premier league clubs, and seem to think this is some sort of divine right. So when another club, Blackburn, Chelsea or now Man City come along and do the same it's somehow not right.

Bollocks to em.

rich d

• forum hero
I managed to avoid the score all day, so I could watch it "live" on match of the day. Only to look out of the front window at home (nottingham) and see some fat bloke in a city shirt skipping past my house singing championays! But it was truly amazing, and for most of MOTD I assumed he was just pissed and got it wrong.  love the fact that City won it, loved the fact that they beat the scum, loved the fact that the scum thought they'd won it, was jumping around the living room when City won it. (Amazed I came 12th in the FFL, obviously forgetting your password and not doing anything for months is a recipe for mid table mediocrity, pretty much what Neil Wharnock has done with us). Now just the disappointment of the Euros to look forward to until it all starts again.

tomtom

• forum hero
Of course they bought the title. As have Manu, Chelski, and Wengernal over the years.. Spurs recent success is driven by... Kerching.. Pompey enjoyed their greatest success due to... Exactly.

Liverpool have spent loads too.. But not had much success ;) Graeme.. Sunderland (coughs) investment and results... Look how much randy wandy has spent at Villa for what?

So we knew how much it cost for Balcakburn.. And for Chelski, now we can see its c.£200 mill per year for 3 or 4 years... If you look at Chelski and City - they have done what lpool and Manu have been doing for ages - having a huge academy structure to bring the talent through and make money from them too...

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
Match ticket £45
Beers and Pies £15
Dodgy tash -£10 for not buying a razor
Having your face on TV the moment you realise that city have won Priceless

The poster boy of city's win.  :jab:

Nice profile pic Jasper

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
I can't stop watching that clip. It's hilarious.

tomtom

• forum hero
I managed to avoid the score all day, so I could watch it "live" on match of the day. Only to look out of the front window at home (nottingham) and see some fat bloke in a city shirt skipping past my house singing championays!

THeres a classic episode of the likely lads, where they spend the whole day avoiding trying to find out what the England scores are from a game in the afternoon (matchon the telly in the evening) - they nearly get tipped off along the way, end up spending a couple of hours in church so no-one can tell them.. and the punchline is (when they get home to watch it..) see from c.7:15 onwards...

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
some great stuff here  ;D
I was thinking about you going through the wringer yesterday, FD, always thought there'd be a late twist (although was wrong about a. qpr sitting on 0-1 after half time and waiting to see if Stoke got back in it before they opened themselves up, and b. it not being a sunderland equaliser) had a huge grin on when the winner went in.  The feeling will fade in  afew days but that moment will give you chills for years, still get them watching this

I loved the fact that the first fan Radio 5 talked to afterwards said they hadn't give up hope and referenced beating Gillingham in extra time in the play-off final to get out of the third division, many more said the same, good to see they remember the bad times in such a moment.

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
I have been very quiet on this thread about the playoff after my over excitement last year .. However it iskicking in now. I am not going to get ahead of myself. We have all been there. Franchise FC can still beat us by three goals at our place and would not surprise me I still remember barnsley in 2006.

I just got sent this video of town fans singing at McDons away

It sounded bloody loud in the pub I could not hear the TV so missed this.

When this goal went in the pub went mental. I lost half a pint and had two thrown down me. Broken glass all over the place from flying pint glasses and droppped bottles.

Ainley and box man enjoying themselves in the carpark

I love away daze!

clm

• forum hero
Well well well. What a day. A real emotional roller coaster.

I'm 41 and have been supporting City since I was tiny as an inheritance from my parents and grandparents who were all born and raised in Rusholme and Fallowfield.  Gran had a house on Dalton Avenue, one of the small terraced streets surrounding Maine Road.  My first girlfriend at school, was Joanne Parker, now Lake and married to Paul. I married a true blue, Nicola, a season ticket holder with her Dad.

Yesterday, I took a train into town with Martin (Daley), his brother and Pete and we found a pub near Piccadilly showing the match.  Full of Blues and a bunch of Leeds supporters on a stag-do rooting for City.  Nerves settled a bit after Zab scored and we were horsing around after half time when QPR scored. Shit.....

When Cisse scored the second we were distraught, shouting at screen trying to summon something from our players who seemed unable to hit the target. Screaming at Barton. I went outside for a cigarette (I gave up smoking a long time ago) and talked to a girl outside saying 'We've blown it'. I couldn't believe we'd thrown it away.  Then a roar from inside the pub, the equaliser. I ran back down the steps and we stood clutching each other as the minutes ticked away.  C'mon, c'mon, c'mon. Then it happened, the miracle. Aguerro, keeping a cool head slots the ball away to win the fucking league in injury time.  The place erupted, screams of joy and elation. Tears, songs, champage being sprayed and drinks shared.  I cried.  Those of you that know me well know its been a tough year and I always thought I'd be celebrating this moment if it ever came with my wife but sadly that's not to be.  I just hope she didn't leave the match early with her Dad to beat the traffice and missed the goals.

Outside the pub, cars passing, horns tooting with flags and scarves draped out of the window. We go to another pub to celebrate.  Feeling drained and reflective.  Some food at a Chinese restaruant and then onto Piccadilly with hundreds of others. To cheers, two young lads climb the statue of Wellington draping a scarf round his neck and placing a trophy in the hands of the male warrior at his feet.  Then a lift home from a generous girlfriend of Pete. "you lot stink" Burp....

I fell asleep on the sofa in my rented flat and woke up, contact lenses glued to my eyes in the small hours and slunk off to bed.  Woke early without a sore head and have been on the computer watching replays and reading all the news.  I know it's only a game but days like that will stick in the memory.

Thanks for all the Tweets, texts and best wishes.  I'll be off to the victory parade later if anyone's in town and fancies a pint or two.  It'll be a good one and welcome to anyone.

CTID
Where were you? I spent an hour on top of a phone box outside kendal with the ropegun. eye to eye with the top deck.of the bus

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
Been away all weekend and catching up on everything now!

what a relief to win ff after being 2nd the last 2 years!

Even more happy when I read about how city won the title. Awesome day by the sound of it  :icon_beerchug:

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
it was fun at the time but then you realise oh shit that was actually a bad idea
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18067191

The sign was thought to refer to a 2009 response by Ferguson, when asked if United would ever be City's underdogs.
Fergie "Not in my lifetime"

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
Hi CLM, I was in a pub near Piccadilly. Bar Rogue or something watching a Greek feed of the game :-)

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
100,000+ turned out last night. I got in the Square early so got to see the buildup. Great fun.

Meanwhile down the road, SEVEN fans turned out to welcome Utd to their end of season awards dinner at OT. 

Dolly

• forum hero
Glad you did in the end FD  :)
Grubes do I win a fiver for predicting you against the blunts at Wembley ?
Must admit
I've got mixed feelings here. On one hand I'd love some more Steel City derbies, but then again would be great to see the pigs beaten by another Yorkshire team in blue and white stripes at Wembley  :-\

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
to quote last year
Fuck me. Did anyone see that? My heart cannot take a night like that.
Definitely a game for the neutral.

Oh well looks like am off to old Trafford! Wembley
They allways do it the hard way.

Glad you did in the end FD  :)
Grubes do I win a fiver for predicting you against the blunts at Wembley ?
Moneys in the post Boss, honest have you not got the check yet? I will cancel it and send you another one ..
would I lie to you
I've got mixed feelings here. On one hand I'd love some more Steel City derbies, but then again would be great to see the pigs beaten by another Yorkshire team in blue and white stripes at Wembley  :-\
you know the answer:

My mate was taking the piss on crack book yesterday joking about fightin with Franchise FC fans and drinking bovril.
I responded "come on you know the real target is Alan Smith" turns out I was right
Fucking nutters - warning daily fail link

He seemed to enjoy it though  :shrug:

First trip to the new wembley is planned tickets getting booked at 10am :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal