UKBouldering.com

Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread) (Read 1357811 times)

Dr T

• forum hero
#3825 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
February 18, 2012, 07:34:02 pm
 :wavecry: silverware... again

well lets hope that's the last we ever see of Squillaci

Thought Sunderland did exactly what was expected
Thought they deserved it
Arteta looked short of ideas
The Ox did try his heart out and you have to feel for him with that goal
If some more players had his spirit.....

Hope Graeme's having a drink or five

Dr T

• forum hero
#3826 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
February 19, 2012, 10:29:26 am
just been watching the highlights (from the other matches)
excited to get Ryo back next season
especially if Bolton can do half the job they did with the boy Jack...

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#3827 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
February 20, 2012, 12:21:00 pm
Well it was Liverpool 3 Brighton 4 at Anfield last night, unfortunately we put three of them in the wrong net.

C'est la vie.

We actually played really well in the first half and it was a sickener to go 2-1 down just before half time. The third goal killed it but rather than go for damage limitation Poyet took off a defender and brought on Vicente. "Better to lose 7-1 than not have a go." I said........

Proud we carried on playing the Brighton way despite everything (apart from the comedy defending!). Now we'll concentrate on the league etc etc.

;)

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#3828 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
February 20, 2012, 01:16:58 pm
When that goal went in just before half-time I said "oh dear" 'cos Brighton had been playing so well, keeping the ball, accurate passing and confident attaching football.  Up until then I thought you might win it or at least come away with a draw.

Your goalie looked _really_ nervous though and contributed to the OGs, shame he couldn't hold onto the ball instead of punching it away.  You looked like a Premiership side though for the most part...

:thumbsup:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#3829 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
February 20, 2012, 01:29:53 pm
Cheers FD.

Yeah Brezovan lost his place last season when we brought Casper Ankegren in. The main reason being getting in a flap on crosses and punching too much. This was in League 1 and he didn't really look up to it at that level.

However Ankegren (after a great run last season) hasn't always inspired confidence and when he got injured, Brezovan got his place back and has kept it.

We also have David Gonzalez (ex City) but I've no idea what the score is with him as he's not played yet.

It's a problematic position for us for sure.

tomtom

• forum hero
#3830 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
February 20, 2012, 02:53:24 pm
Coming up to 'ull on Wed eve J?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#3831 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
February 20, 2012, 03:15:34 pm
No unfortunately (sorry I forgot to reply to your earlier post) as I've got some work I need to sort out Wednesday evening. Plus I'm a fair weather soft bastard who can't be bothered to travel anywhere on a wet Wednesday (school) night in February.

Should be a good game. I'd happily take a point although a repeat of the last away league performance would be nice:

;D  :P

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#3832 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
February 20, 2012, 03:44:32 pm

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#3833 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
February 21, 2012, 11:31:35 am
Football fantasists, myths and the internet:

http://www.wsc.co.uk/content/view/8369/38/

Wonder if the same thing works with running 4 minute miles......  :whistle:

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
#3835 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
February 21, 2012, 07:46:09 pm
Nice touch of class here from Mansfield:

http://yfrog.com/oc6xtimj

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#3836 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
February 23, 2012, 10:21:31 am
Oh dear Porto. Oh dear:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/feb/23/manchester-city-hulk-unsporting-porto

The Porto version of events that it was actually both sets of supporters chanting in support of Hulk and Sergio "Kun" Agüero. "Kun, Kun, Kun; Hulk, Hulk, Hulk," Cerqueira said at the time, demonstrating the chants. "These can be easily confused with racist chants."

All of which was a strange explanation given that Agüero was not even on the pitch at the time. Incredible, you could say.

Chinny reckon.

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#3837 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
February 23, 2012, 12:37:34 pm
ok been quiet for a while. here is my 2 pence on the Clark and Grayson issue:
Clark being sacked was harsh but I can see why as the home performances have been dire all year and season tickets due on sale next week.
My personal opinion is I am not happy with Grayson as manager and confirmed that I will not be getting a season ticket next year. This was the final straw amoungst other factors. Grayson has a good record of getting teams promoted but he's crap in the second half of the season, which is the period we are in and he needs to be at his best. Plus he's a leeds fan and ex manager.

The chairman has stated he had lost faith in Lee Clark's ability, a lot of the fans had too. Very average this year and drew from winning positions in 13 games. Also as a colleague at work (blades fan) kept reminded me we were on the most pointless unbeaten run in history. 42 games unbeaten but only top of the leage for two-three weeks in that time.

Gutted that warnock went to leeds. I thik if he had not he would be town manager not Grayson. A lot of fans I have been speaking reckon this to be the case but only the chairman will know for sure. Grayson is in a bad position The fans already are not happy with him hbeing leeds through and through. If he does not win the next 6 matches in a row he will have the fans on his back. This is very do able with the fixtures coming up.

Any way enough hudds bullshit, I see hull and brighton drew 0-0 last night fair result? How is Barmby getting on now hes been in chage for a while. I see pearson is doing well for liecester  :doubt:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#3838 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
February 23, 2012, 12:58:35 pm
I wasn't at the game like tomtom but I listened and I'd say 0-0 was probably fair. After the first 10 mins or so it sounded like a really good open game (Tom said it was a cracker).

Hull will probably feel they should have won it having had shots cleared off the line and hitting the bar etc but we created plenty of chances ourselves and could easily have nicked it.

Really enjoying this Championship season. With only 12 points separating the top 10 I can see the race for the title / automatic promotion / playoffs going right down to the wire. There's not much between any of the teams and it's way more interesting than the Premier League (please win that though City).

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

tomtom

• forum hero
#3840 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
February 23, 2012, 03:32:27 pm
I wasn't at the game like tomtom but I listened and I'd say 0-0 was probably fair. After the first 10 mins or so it sounded like a really good open game (Tom said it was a cracker).

Hull will probably feel they should have won it having had shots cleared off the line and hitting the bar etc but we created plenty of chances ourselves and could easily have nicked it.

Really enjoying this Championship season. With only 12 points separating the top 10 I can see the race for the title / automatic promotion / playoffs going right down to the wire. There's not much between any of the teams and it's way more interesting than the Premier League (please win that though City).

Sorry, been busy all day.. I was roped in after the game to write an article for a City fanzine, so after a bit of tip-tapping (I forgot what happened in the second half!) this is what I sent in. Obviously City biased :) and my first hack at football journalism (and probably the last!) :D You should have come up J, it was a good match!

After five minutes all I could think was “There’s goals in this”. Five minutes from the end - it still felt like there should be a winner, with McLean inevitably turning a flick shot over the bar then looping an overhead kick straight at the Brighton keeper. But goal-less it remained.

The first half started sharply. With no major squad surgery, Barmby started Brady instead of McLean and it looked like Hull were set up with 5 across the middle and Fryatt on his own up front. Some were still taking their seats when a cleared cross from the right fell to a deserted Cameron Stewart on the left corner of the area, with their keeper scrambling back to his line. Realising he had time, Stewart cooly let the ball drop, took a touch and passed the ball perfectly past the Brighton keeper  straight to a covering defender who had manned the line. Chances continued, with Roseigner and Brady combining well down the right – with Brady looking tougher, more sensible and playing to orders than in previous games. Koren was pulling the strings in midfield – and nearly played Fryatt through the middle twice. It looked like Brighton had done their homework, and rapidly crowded out Fryatt several times, stopping the little dink and run balls he seems to like. Brighton also worked hard to crowd out Stewart – though 15 minutes in he turned and ran onto a high ball that split the Brighton defence. With Stewart well clear of the last two, their keeper stopped tending his bouffant and charged off his line with an unexpected turn of speed. Choosing not to round the keeper Stewart tried to blast a shot and it smacked straight into the keepers chest.

But this certainly wasn’t one way traffic for City and though Brightons defence looked suspect and their midfield a little disinterested, Mackail Smith gives them some muscle up front – and a smart turn and shot from the edge of the area warmed up Manone’s hands. Chances and half chances were traded from both sides with Brady overhead kicking a shot straight at the keeper and Manone saving twice from distance. As the half continued Roseigner took some yelp-inducing mid-air studs to his calf, ending his forward forays. Towards the end of the half the pressure was notably coming more from the home side and close to the whistle Stewart shot from the edge of the penalty area to be denied by the cross bar and possibly they faintest of touches from the Brighton goalie. 

The second half was equally entertaining – though frustrating - as again we seemed to just not quite make it in the final third. Maybe this was testament to Brighton’s stoicism, but from our vantage point in the East stand it felt more like chances not taken. Fryatt came close again, side netting rippled, and Mclean came on for Brady. This bought fresh impetus and Mclean style scrapping up front, which provided a bit of oomph that seemed to have left city at this point. Hard work around the box led to more chances again for Fryatt and City won a series of corners. None were converted, and our impotence at corners is a glaring gap in our arsenal – City seem more likely to score from a Manone goal kick than a corner. Cairney came on for a hard working Evans, who hadn’t had the best of games. What has happened to young Tom Cairney? Where is that talented, composed and creative midfielder who seemed to bloom when working with George Boetang for a few weeks in the Premiership twilight? He seemed sluggish, ineffective and disinterested – a shame. Still, the game finished with a few final chances, Mclean nearly flicked a low cross under the bar and at the death directed (another!) overhead kick at the Brighton keeper. Final whistle and a standing ovation from a largely appreciative though frustrated stand.

We’ve not shipped a goal since early January but sadly, as with Doncasters visit, a lack of clinical finishing still seems to be preventing us from pushing into and above the playoff positions. However, whilst the result is frustrating, its great to see the Barmy touch at work. We’re not Ajax, but recently City seem to be playing their own version of ‘total football’ that’s far easier on the eye than Pearsons regimental 4-4-2 lines.

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
#3841 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
February 24, 2012, 06:53:56 am
If there are any Manchester City fans out there I hope you are all thoroughly ashamed of the vile, sickening abuse you were prepared to heap upon visiting players.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/feb/23/manchester-city-hulk-unsporting-porto

Plattsy

• forum hero
#3842 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
February 24, 2012, 08:34:16 am
Jasper's about 20hours ahead of ya arfk.

Foreign decoder pub vs sky saga continues

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#3843 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
February 24, 2012, 09:10:33 am
This is good re football fandom's "Blank Generation" and it's ultimate product, Piers Moron as a pundit.

http://thetwounfortunates.com/football-fandoms-blank-generation/

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#3844 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
February 24, 2012, 12:54:03 pm
Such is the blessing of the shambles: if you limp in, nobody minds too much if you fall on your arse

http://thefcf.co.uk/2012/02/24/euro-2012-excuses-full/14409/

:lol:

Dr T

• forum hero
#3845 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
February 24, 2012, 09:24:56 pm
Looks like Andre the Meerkat is going home to Meerkovo (Zenit) - I doubt he'll come back

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#3846 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
February 25, 2012, 09:41:27 am
This has just depressed me.  Did ask him this time last year if trophies were important to players, guess he's been thinking about it ever since.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2012/feb/24/secret-footballer-cash-trophies?newsfeed=true

clm

• forum hero
#3847 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
February 25, 2012, 03:59:09 pm
True, 2 things it made me think about.
Weird how someone on 150 grand a week is worried about 'more money'. Like they'd notice. Bet they're incapable of spending what they earn.
Secondly, Craig bellamy brutally honest attitude, apparently not arsed about silverware,yet one of the hardest working players you will ever see. Sets an example.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#3848 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
February 26, 2012, 09:05:59 pm
Most people want 120% of what they've got - having more money just (ahem) moves the goalposts..

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#3849 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
February 27, 2012, 08:49:03 am
Strange goings on at The Amex on Saturday as Ipswich fans unfurled a banner before the game....

Aside from the fact that it made no sense, nobody was sure what point they were trying to make. Anyway, it wound the Brighton fans up nicely and songs of "where's your banner gone" and "you can stick your fucking banner up your arse" were heard as we thumped them 3-0.

Apparently the ITFC director's apologised to ours and most Ipswich fans have no clue as to why it was done.

See here:

http://www.twtd.co.uk/news.php?storyid=20278

All very odd!  :shrug:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal