UKBouldering.com

Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread) (Read 1357818 times)

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#3550 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 20, 2011, 01:05:56 pm
Wow...

(neither he nor his teammates seemed that bothered)

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#3551 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 20, 2011, 04:43:30 pm
Fantasy Footballers note it's a new gameweek tonight, don't forget your transfers and team changes.

Who'd have thought Blackburn Bolton would be an exciting prospect?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#3552 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 20, 2011, 05:06:01 pm
Nice one. I've got problems in my squad as several players are 50% - 75% to play. It's not worth transferring them but I'm risking another crap week.

tomtom

• forum hero
#3553 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 20, 2011, 05:23:40 pm
Nice one. I've got problems in my squad as several players are 50% - 75% to play. It's not worth transferring them but I'm risking another crap week.

Woot! managed to change my team name :)

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#3554 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 20, 2011, 05:35:18 pm
Woot! managed to change my team name :)

Me too.

Had a couple of decent weeks now I've remembered to play, too far behind now though unfortunately

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
#3555 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 20, 2011, 09:06:54 pm
Hurrah for the mob at Blackburn.

Loos like all their wishes might come true tomorrow.

(God bless their little hearts)

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
#3556 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 20, 2011, 09:59:04 pm
He's going to resign tomorrow, isn't he?

There's no way anyone should have to put up with that sort of shit.

Blackburn have now got to allow him the dignity of an exit from this - it'll be  a demonstrtion of their character.

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#3557 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 21, 2011, 07:54:42 am
Suarez 40k fine +8 match ban
Liverpool say "The FA wated to ban him before this review started" (or words to that effect)

So are liverpool saying that they disagree with the results of an independant panel? They have not apologised for the players comments or blamed the language barrier.
I know the results came late last night but still I would have thought the club would try and at least act like racism is a bad thing.

tomtom

• forum hero
#3558 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 21, 2011, 08:20:39 am
Suarez 40k fine +8 match ban
Liverpool say "The FA wated to ban him before this review started" (or words to that effect)

So are liverpool saying that they disagree with the results of an independant panel? They have not apologised for the players comments or blamed the language barrier.
I know the results came late last night but still I would have thought the club would try and at least act like racism is a bad thing.

Standard punishment for a member of the crowd making racist comments is lifetime ban.... I'd say he got off lightly....

BenF

• forum hero
#3559 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 21, 2011, 08:22:26 am
As a red I agree entirely, its a very bad day for the club. 

Suarez has disgraced the club and must go (I am sure he'll want to leave anyway now).  Liverpool need to stand up and show their support for the FA's stance against racism.  I'd rather we lost than play Suarez.

Andy F

• forum hero
  • Ex-ex-climber
#3560 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 21, 2011, 08:25:35 am
"We find it extraordinary that Luis can be found guilty on the word of Patrice Evra alone when no-one else on the field of play - including Evra's own Manchester United teammates and all the match officials - heard the alleged conversation between the two players in a crowded Kop goalmouth while a corner kick was about to be taken."

"It is key to note that Patrice Evra himself in his written statement in this case said 'I don't think that Luis Suarez is racist'.  The FA in their opening remarks accepted that Luis Suarez was not racist."

The FA have made a judgement on the word of one player who admits the other isn't racist. Had it been the other way round (an LFC player making the accusation towards a Manc), the FA would have done sweet FA.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#3561 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 21, 2011, 09:31:20 am
That's the problem. This case has been all about MUFC v LFC rather than what actually happened. I'm undecided on the whole thing.

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#3562 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 21, 2011, 10:09:18 am
surely using the mufc v lfc excuse is absolute bollocks. Its about right and wrong.
Racism is wrong in any way shape and form, simple as.

Evra would not of raised it if he did not think it was an issue or took offense.
The over outstanding case for racism is our England captian John Terry against Anton ferdinand. The last update I saw was the police were getting involved in that one.

Suarez has got off lightly to only got a 8 match ban and 40k (about half a weeks wage if that?) as Tomtom suggested.

Evra gets abuse from other players in every game, all players get abuse of the other players every game. So my opinion is that something unacceptable must of happened or he would not of raised it.

tomtom

• forum hero
#3563 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 21, 2011, 10:46:27 am
surely using the mufc v lfc excuse is absolute bollocks. Its about right and wrong.
Racism is wrong in any way shape and form, simple as.

Spot on....

Interesting 5 live debate about this earlier...
The main argument against the punishment seemed to be that what he said was normal, or the words had a different meaning in Uraguay.. which may well be the case..
But in my view
1. He's not in South America, he's in England... and I dont believe he is that naive to think that all words have the same meaning here as there...
2. Do you think he was saying these things to be nice and friendly to Evra, or was he trying to wind up an opposition defender...?

They also re-played Gus Poyets comments on the matter, which to be frank didnt make good listening...

Some good satire from Australia...

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#3564 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 21, 2011, 10:55:29 am
All fair points. Certainly Terry has absolutely no excuse about things being lost in translation. Apparently the tv footage is quite conclusive (although this is hearsay) and if that's the case then I hope they throw the book at him.

tomtom

• forum hero
#3565 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 21, 2011, 11:03:01 am
All fair points. Certainly Terry has absolutely no excuse about things being lost in translation. Apparently the tv footage is quite conclusive (although this is hearsay) and if that's the case then I hope they throw the book at him.

Yup totally agree. Terry has no cultural excuse to hide behind use, so he should have the book thrown at him (if he's guilty).

Apparently the CPS is issuing a statement this afternoon.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#3566 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 21, 2011, 11:05:14 am
It's a fucking embarrassment having him as England captain anyway.

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#3567 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 21, 2011, 11:23:41 am
heres the fail's article from the 01/12 where they write what he says
there is a video is on the Guardian's website but I can not play it at work

It's a fucking embarrassment having him as England captain anyway.
yea completely agree. Will be interesting to see the out come as this one seems more clear cut ...

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#3568 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 21, 2011, 11:44:21 am
Ta. It is quite conclusive then!

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#3569 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 21, 2011, 11:48:34 am
No doubt what he says but apparently the words "I never called you a...." are what we don't see when someone gets in the way, which is feasible.  Can't imagine it's the only camera that caught it though.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#3570 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 21, 2011, 11:51:16 am
Clever defence there!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

tomtom

• forum hero
#3572 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 21, 2011, 12:23:36 pm
is he wearing a denim jump suit?

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#3573 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 21, 2011, 01:59:58 pm
bbc have released liverpools statement in full: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16277126.stm
"Liverpool Football Club is very surprised and disappointed with the decision of the Football Association commission to find Luis Suarez guilty of the charges against him.

"We look forward to the publication of the commission's judgment. We will study the detailed reasons of the commission once they become available, but reserve our right to appeal or take any other course of action we feel appropriate with regards to this situation.

"We find it extraordinary that Luis can be found guilty on the word of Patrice Evra alone when no-one else on the field of play - including Evra's own Manchester United team-mates and all the match officials - heard the alleged conversation between the two players in a crowded Kop goalmouth while a corner kick was about to be taken.

"The club takes extremely seriously the fight against all forms of discrimination and has a long and successful track record in work relating to anti-racist activity and social inclusion. We remain committed to this ideal and equality for all, irrespective of a person's background.

"LFC considers racism in any form to be unacceptable - without compromise. It is our strong held belief, having gone over the facts of the case, that Luis Suarez did not commit any racist act. It is also our opinion that the accusation by this particular player was not credible - certainly no more credible than his prior unfounded accusations.

"It is key to note that Patrice Evra himself in his written statement in this case said: "I don't think that Luis Suarez is racist." The FA in their opening remarks accepted that Luis Suarez was not racist.

"Luis himself is of a mixed race family background as his grandfather was black. He has been personally involved since the 2010 World Cup in a charitable project which uses sport to encourage solidarity amongst people of different backgrounds with the central theme that the colour of a person's skin does not matter; they can all play together as a team.

"He has played with black players and mixed with their families whilst with the Uruguay national side and was captain at Ajax Amsterdam of a team with a proud multi-cultural profile, many of whom became good friends.

"It seems incredible to us that a player of mixed heritage should be accused and found guilty in the way he has based on the evidence presented. We do not recognise the way in which Luis Suarez has been characterised.

"It appears to us that the FA were determined to bring charges against Luis Suarez, even before interviewing him at the beginning of November. Nothing we have heard in the course of the hearing has changed our view that Luis Suarez is innocent of the charges brought against him and we will provide Luis with whatever support he now needs to clear his name.

"We would also like to know when the FA intend to charge Patrice Evra with making abusive remarks to an opponent after he admitted himself in his evidence to insulting Luis Suarez in Spanish in the most objectionable of terms. Luis, to his credit, actually told the FA he had not heard the insult."

Also just in Terry has been charged by the CPS http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-16284813
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 02:29:03 pm by Grubes »

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#3574 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 21, 2011, 02:32:02 pm
And this by Andi Thomas (@Twisted_Blood) explains why their position is ludicrous:

http://www.surrealfootball.com/2011/12/21/luis-suarez-the-verdict/

N.B. Andi Thomas is a Man United supporter.  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal