UKBouldering.com

Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread) (Read 1357784 times)

galpinos

• forum hero
#3500 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
November 29, 2011, 01:40:45 pm
From what I've seen, they have some very good players but they have no confidence, no direction and no gameplan. Surely most of this must be the manager's fault?
 :-\

I know you're right, what happened to people being chuffed with a 1-1 draw at Ewood Park. Sides are now gutted if they only put three past us.  :'(

I'm just a terrible optimist. I believe that this side are only a couple of good results away from actually being half decent. It's just getting the couple of results to get their confidence up!

galpinos

• forum hero
#3501 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
November 29, 2011, 01:43:18 pm
still don't understand the venkys move. Sam looks like a perfect person for advertising a fried chicken company

With an advert this good, it doesn't need improving....

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#3502 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
November 29, 2011, 01:53:27 pm
I'm just a terrible optimist. I believe that this side are only a couple of good results away from actually being half decent.

They are.  As Keen says in the interview, they have a squad capable of a top half finish.  Which they do, just not under his management

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#3503 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
November 30, 2011, 10:49:01 am
Although he would disagree.  :P

philo

• forum hero
#3504 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
November 30, 2011, 11:12:13 am
could be worse, you could have steve bruce in charge....

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#3505 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
November 30, 2011, 12:37:23 pm
could be worse, you could have steve bruce in charge....
Been there ... fuck that!!!!

following on from my rantabout fucker bruces jnr I have been receiving several complaints saying the defense was shit and the reason we lost the unbeaten run was because of alex fucking bruce.
Even I think this is a bit harsh with him being an unused sub ... maybe?

Sorry I promise this will be my last post about alex bruce maybe

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#3506 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
November 30, 2011, 12:52:18 pm
Did anyone take up the RP tip and back Bruce for first to be sacked?  Have an inkling that 3T did?

He did great for us, signing Alex aside, until he expressed interest in the Newcastle job and the owners stopped backing him.

Mind, Kean's admission to forfeiting a game's not going to go down well

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15957699.stm

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#3507 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
November 30, 2011, 02:27:34 pm
and the reason we lost the unbeaten run was because of alex fucking bruce.

Hey Grubes (and anyone else) what do you reckon to the argument that the unbeaten run was a load of bollocks cos you lost the playoff final? I heard Adrian Durham going on about this on Talk Sport and (although he's a tit) I think I agree. While it's not a standard league fixture, it's still technically a league game as it decides which league you're going to be in so how can an unbeaten league run include losing it?
 :devil-smiley:  :-\

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#3508 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
November 30, 2011, 02:47:47 pm
personally inclined to agree with ya. The football league say its an unbeaten run I say bollocks old trafford felt like and was a loss!  :chair: Bloody peterborough wankers
Its like the arguement that we were unbeaten all season until the 4-1drubbing by swindon. This was because the two matches we lost were not lost over 90 mins one was in extra time and the other on pens. Its bullshit.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#3509 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
November 30, 2011, 02:59:05 pm
So had you won at wembley old trafford and been in the championship then your "unbeaten" run would have actually ended earlier against better teams.  So by losing you actually prolong going unbeaten.  :shrug:

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#3510 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
November 30, 2011, 03:03:38 pm
er yes?

galpinos

• forum hero
#3511 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
November 30, 2011, 03:52:54 pm
Mind, Kean's admission to forfeiting a game's not going to go down well

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15957699.stm

I was a bit concerned at how easy we got turned over by Cardiff but as I now know we let them win, my mind is at rest...........

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#3512 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
November 30, 2011, 05:18:49 pm
GOOOOAAAALLLLLLL!!!!!!

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#3514 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
November 30, 2011, 06:02:11 pm
Just seen on Twitter, Bruce "parted company" with Sunlun

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#3515 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 01, 2011, 07:43:38 am
yup http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15975008.stm
so did TTT put money on him being first?

Have to say december seems quite late for the first sacking?

-edit- that was fast Sunderland want hughes apparantly with O'neil being book makers favrourite
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 08:06:35 am by Grubes »

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#3518 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 02, 2011, 07:57:47 am
good piece on Bruce:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/nov/30/steve-bruce-sunderland-sacked
great article really sums it up
nice quote here:
2: His second sacking. Bruce resigned at Sheffield Utd, Wigan (twice), Crystal Palace and Birmingham
Jumped before he was pushed!
Hudds were the other team to sack him .. he fucking deserved it. Him and rubery (owner at the time) had no clue about the way football works and eventually lead to admin and the club almost going under. Many Hudds fans blame him for the spiral and almost demise of our club (me included)

Now you can see my reason I am not happy to have Alex C**ting Bruce at my club.

Ok I will try not to post on bruce again ... Just ends up in a rant.

tomtom

• forum hero
#3519 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 02, 2011, 08:44:10 am
Grubes, I see we've recalled (or he wanted to come back) Liam Cooper who was on loan to Hudds.. any story there? Last time I saw him play he looked like a very accomplished centre half for a 19 year old...

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#3520 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 02, 2011, 08:58:40 am
Unfortueatly he did not really get an oppertunity. His loan was until Jan I believe but with brgining in that twat hes moved down the pecking order and not even getting on the bench. According to what I have read he asked to go back to Hull not been sent back.

He had a tough task trying to break into the team with our captain and probably our best player Peter Clarke as main centre back. Anthony Kay moving from mid field to Centre back and being Solid. Tom clarke due back from Loan, Nat clarke also coming back in Jan. He was proably not going to get a oppertunity.

Also with the new manager at Hull he probably thinks he will have achance to break into the team there. All the best there is no hard feeling at our side apparrently.

He got one league start and looked out of his depth which was probably nerves. He played well in the cup where he played a couple of matches.

tomtom

• forum hero
#3521 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 02, 2011, 09:01:43 am
:) last saw him play in a CC match against everton. We were fucked over 0:4 but he played very well...

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#3522 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 02, 2011, 11:06:03 am
good piece on Bruce:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/nov/30/steve-bruce-sunderland-sacked

Really good article that, I didn't realise what a dinosaur he was. When you compare his methods to the way the majority do things nowadays it seems amazing that he's been in various top management positions for so long.

Interesting perspective here on the annual management merry go round:

http://dispatchesfromafootballsofa.com/2011/11/27/revolutionary-road/

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#3523 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 02, 2011, 02:51:16 pm
 I didn't realise what a dinosaur he was. When you compare his methods to the way the majority do things nowadays it seems amazing that he's been in various top management positions for so long.
[/quote]

I didn't realise either despite him having been at my club for almost five seasons.  imxed feelings about him really, he got us promoted in half a season, played nice stuff, couple of respectable finishes (actually 10th in 2nd season was spectacular if we're honest) then it all went wrong, a couple of dragged out, utterly turgid relegation battles then off he went to Wigan.

Repeat to fade....

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#3524 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 03, 2011, 08:50:08 am
Anyone else never been convinced by O'Neill?  He's seems a decent motivator and wil probably get more out of Sunderland's underachievers than Bruce did.  But, I've always felt his reputation owes more to giving good soundbites to journalists than mangerial ability (like Rednapp).  Tactically his teams are nearly always ugly hoof-ball merchants.   His transfer record is also poor - tends to overpay for UK/Irish hasbeens, often poached from the club that last employed him.  Only successes I can think of are Ashley Young and Milner.  A bit like Keane, Bruce, etc - you would not be surprised if his transfer strategy was based on a 10 year old copy of Football Manager.   He spent a fortune at Villa (£120m) - for a mediocre return and Lerner supposedly fell out with him over his poor results, unending demands and continued inability to mine overseas leagues for undervalued players.  I can't see that changing at Sunderland - I reckon their problems would have been best addressed by nicking Graham Carr - NUFC's chief scout!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal