UKBouldering.com

Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread) (Read 1357843 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
Bonus for us at the weekend, 3 points and forcing a managerial casualty.

I always enjoy being the straw that broke the manager's back.

:) I remember a few seasons back three teams in a row played Hull and the week after each one of their managers were fired!

I remember with Preston (I think) all (Home and Away) fans chanting your getting sacked in the morning to a beligerant looking manager (cant remember who..). It was quite powerful - when the whole stadium is doing it.. poor bugger.. 

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
Alan Irvine?

Just after Gary Megson got sacked (somewhat unjustly) by West Brom they came to us and we tanked them 4-0.  A few Blues fans started an ironic "only one Gary Megson" chant but the Albion fans joined in and it soon felt like the whole stadium was singing while the new incumbent (Bryan Robson?) shuffled in his seat.  Great stuff.

philo

• forum hero

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Rather good.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
reminds me of that Andy Cole goal where he couldn't seem to get it under control then somehow managed to tuck it away.

edit: without the bicycle kick obviously

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
reminds me of that Andy Cole goal where he couldn't seem to get it under control then somehow managed to tuck it away.

edit: without the bicycle kick obviously

That sounds like pretty much every goal he scored.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
This is going to take some googling, back next week....

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
more good news on the England managers job.
He has told SSN that he is not interested in the england amangers job as he is not expeienced enough. So will not throw his name in the hat. After watching man city towards the end of his rain and some of the under 21 performances I am quite happy about this. I am sure FD could give an Man City perspective on their former manager  :dance1:

So far the list of thank god no:
Stuart Pearce
Steve Mclaren
Sven - not doing much with a lot of money

Anymore that have / need to kill their oppertunity
hopefully Woy Hodgson and Mick McCarthy will have a bad season (sorry any WBA and wolves fans).

tomtom

• forum hero
Alan Shearer is another no.. he said in a Guardian interview that he'd love to do it but there were many other better qualified people for the role.

To be honest, I'm really not at all excited by international football. The last few years of England hyperbole followed by frankly ferk all means I cant be bothered watching.. if its on and I've finished my Ugly Betty box set then it might get a look in ;) but England wise I'm largely underwhelmed..

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Must admit I feel the same. Gave up supporting England when they gave McClaren the job and have struggled to get excited about the team since. Not that I don't want to care it's just that too many pathetic, disinterested performances from players who I can't stand as people (Rooney, Cashley, Fat Frank, Steevee Geee etc) have really put me off.

Anyway, this is interesting as Karen Murphy wins her latest case v Sky:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-15162241

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
And this is really good. Why Steve McClaren's hair is to blame. For everything:

http://www.surrealfootball.com/2011/08/17/lunatic-fringe/

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
That McLaren article ish fantashtic Jashper.  :lol:

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
too many pathetic, disinterested performances from players who I can't stand as people (Rooney, Cashley, Fat Frank, Steevee Geee etc) have really put me off.

getting a bit of interest back now the changing of the guard is underway.  Watching the world cup was fucking painful, seeing the team so unbalanced trying to accommodate the same old faces.  Getting knocked out was a relief.  Qualifying has been better but looks like the faces are slowly coming back, so glad Gerrard is/has been injured and is out of the squad, temptation to revert removed.

tomtom

• forum hero
too many pathetic, disinterested performances from players who I can't stand as people (Rooney, Cashley, Fat Frank, Steevee Geee etc) have really put me off.

getting a bit of interest back now the changing of the guard is underway.  Watching the world cup was fucking painful, seeing the team so unbalanced trying to accommodate the same old faces.  Getting knocked out was a relief.  Qualifying has been better but looks like the faces are slowly coming back, so glad Gerrard is/has been injured and is out of the squad, temptation to revert removed.

I can handle watching crap football matches... and underperforming players (I am a HCAFC fan after all...) but its the hyperbole that surrounds each game that really turns me off. That and ITV's coverage... If its on and I just chance on it fine.. but all the media build up... yawn....

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
I lost the passion towards the end of when sven was incharge.

Having my birthday in the national competitions and being born on the hand of god day. This meant I tended to have birthday parties (as a child) watching England matches.
I avoid them at all costs these days (except the last one  :o  :blink: :sorry: :chair: etc)
I am hoping a new manager will bring change and a new England will emerge ...  :jab:

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
Fair play, first champions league & now Internationals, ITV is single-handedly attempting to kill the football behemoth that Sky has created.

philo

• forum hero
http://www.footballtransfertavern.com/2011/10/premiership/breaking-news-sky-football-in-pubs-contrary-to-eu-law

"Pub landlady Karen Murphy has won her European Court battle against the use of a foreign TV decoder to screen games.

The European Court of Justice has judged that an exclusive system of licences for the broadcasting of Premiership football across the European Union that currently prevents bars broadcasting games was essentially, ‘contrary to EU law’."

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
Sounds like an awful injury to Accrington's 18-year old Tom Bender - suspected broken neck, match abandoned

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15176078.stm

Let's hope it proves to be not as bad as intially suspected.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
from @lee_short on twitter
Jack Bender is fully conscious and talking + his scans all clear! RT PLEASE

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
nothing happend last night ....
I was not spouting shit on twitter ...
Football is not important ...

Ah FUCK!!!!!!!!!!  :wall:
At least we only lost on pens. Abosolutely awesome match I ended up sat 4 seats from windass in his shocking gold coat. Played like a training match with some nasty challenges all over the shop proper yorkshire derby!!
Match stats:
Huddersfield v bradford
shots on 6 - 3
Shots off target 13 - 2
cornors 10 - 4
fouls 11 - 10 (most of them propper ones as well 10 yard away flying in ones and odd elbow here and there)
Yellow cards 3 - 2

Bradfords going down, their going down, Their going
Bradfords going down ...

Good night almost makes me wish sadfud were in the same league of us ... almost!! first team to play in the premier league and get relegated out of the football league? (wimbledon went bust so does not count imo)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
This is worth reading about the Leeds / Bates situation. What a nightmare:

http://www.twohundredpercent.net/?p=15412

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Wayne Rooney's dad, uncle and cousin arrested:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/oct/06/wayne-rooney-father-alleged-betting-scam

I can't work out what the best bit of this is. Finding out that Wayne Rooney's dad is called Wayne Rooney or realising that someone exists who looks even more like a potato than Wayne jr.

:-\

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
I am sure FD could give an Man City perspective on their former manager

He was rubbish.  Unpredictable, prone to overreaction, tactically niaive etc. The worst thing was that he knew it to.

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/oct/06/wayne-rooney-father-alleged-betting-scam

I can't work out what the best bit of this is. Finding out that Wayne Rooney's dad is called Wayne Rooney or realising that someone exists who looks even more like a potato than Wayne jr.

Oh come. Doesn't even compare to finding out former Manyew stalwart defenders Gary and Phil's dad was called "Neville"

tomtom

• forum hero

Oh come. Doesn't even compare to finding out former Manyew stalwart defenders Gary and Phil's dad was called "Neville"

MrsTT just commented that Wayne snr walks like a fat gerbil :) excellent.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal