UKBouldering.com

Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread) (Read 1358250 times)

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#3300 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 25, 2011, 06:21:50 pm
just watching MOTD Balatelli must of had a right match he looks awesome

It was a bit of a war TBH.  Everton behind the ball grinding City down all the way to the whistle.  That goal came from a brilliant move by Aguero running across the box, drawing several defenders in his wake then back heeling to Balo.

I'm beside myself with excitement for my trip to Munich on Tuesday... :bounce:  :beer2:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#3301 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 26, 2011, 10:45:18 am
Class match Jasper especially injury time.

Amazing game and amazing night for me. The Amex more than lived up to expectations, if anyone gets the chance to watch a game there, grab it with both hands. Going to football can often seem like you're treated as cattle and only a good result can make it an enjoyable experience. At The Amex it's a totally different day / night out.

Spacious padded seats, friendly helpful stewards (plus nobody told to sit down from what I saw), mini real ale bars so if you don't want food you can get a beer quickly (there are also loads of food outlets), an amazing view from pretty much every seat and the noise is unbelievable. For the first ten minutes I was there, wandering around and taking photos I was having to hold back the tears. After 14 years it was hard to comprehend it was all real.

They've thought of everything it seems including not rushing people out of the ground. Because the stadium is out of town and no parking is allowed there the trains / buses are obviously rammed straight after the game. But there's no need to rush off as you can hang about in the concourses with a beer, look around other parts of the ground, spend loads of money in the superstore or go have a drink in the glass fronted bar that overlooks the train / bus station so you can see how busy it is and decide when to leave.

The game was pretty decent one to go to as a first experience too! (although at half time I thought I'd jinxed it). Second half we were awesome but a draw was a fair result as 1st half Leeds were far better.

BBC Sport - Brighton 3-3 Leeds

My seat was at the left hand end of the West Stand so I had a great view of all three Brighton goals including Ashley Barnes sticking this penalty away for 2-2. The idiot shouting really loud is me. I only got my voice back fully today:

Can't wait to go again.  :bounce:

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#3303 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 26, 2011, 09:01:47 pm
Passport, Euros, wallet, Rennies, Zantac, ticket, scarf and sunglasses packed.  Keep your eyes peeled for me on Sky HD2 tomorrow.  C'mon City!!!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#3304 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 27, 2011, 07:58:25 am
Passport, Euros, wallet, Rennies, Zantac, ticket, scarf and sunglasses packed.  Keep your eyes peeled for me on Sky HD2 tomorrow.  C'mon City!!!

Good luck!

I will be listening to the BIG game tonight. Brighton v the Palace scum.  :chair:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#3306 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 27, 2011, 12:27:52 pm
NLS news.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14901438.stm

"It's a great privilege. I intend to add vibrancy and fresh ideas to our approach off the field,"

"Much work has been done to develop relationships with key businesses in and around the area, and we must continue to work hard to ensure that our off-the-field commercial activity increases in an attempt to make the club self-sustainable."

:wall:

http://twitter.com/OliverKayTimes/status/118642448225419264

Teaboy

• forum hero
#3307 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 27, 2011, 03:54:04 pm

http://twitter.com/OliverKayTimes/status/118642448225419264

Who'd have thunk it? That said Kay's "Role model" comment is pretty fatuous, are we now expected to believe that children mimic, not only the players on the pitch, but people in the board room? What a tit.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#3308 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 27, 2011, 04:42:50 pm
True.

This a quality find (by @Beardedgenius on Twitter). You know those little figurines of football players and managers that are clever caricatures of their subjects? Yeah, er.......

Guess who?

That's right! It's obviously David Beckham.

More here including "Emile Heshey".

http://www.nognab.com/soccer-figure/index.php

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#3309 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 27, 2011, 05:07:59 pm
 :lol:

you can excuse them this one though, he was never in the shirt long enough to be modelled.

http://www.nognab.com/soccer-figure/Michael-Owen-Newclasle.php

But teh fact they bothered to make a model of Owen at Newclasle highlights a flaw in their knowledge of the game over here, wonder how many adoring Geordies have snapped Owen dolls.

tomtom

• forum hero
#3310 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 27, 2011, 06:29:01 pm
That beckham figure looks more like Craig Bellamy! Aka the angry ant..

robertostallioni

• forum hero
#3311 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 27, 2011, 09:25:56 pm
Passport, Euros, wallet, Rennies, Zantac, ticket, scarf and sunglasses, rope, razorblades, painkillers,  packed. 

Fucking hell. Feel for you. Sounds shite. Good of Tevez, eh? Checkmate.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#3312 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 28, 2011, 08:05:58 am
La la la la. Nothing to see here. Last night's football? No, can't remember a thing.......  >:(

tomtom

• forum hero
#3313 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 28, 2011, 11:21:02 am
Caros Tevez. What a wanker. What a waste.

I'd reccomend watching Mancini's TV interview on this page (its about 1/2 way down, the story on the page is usual gubbins)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15086878.stm
He is seriously pissed off - and its interetsing to hear how surprised the sports reporters are with whats happened. His eyes.. man he'd had a bad evening...

When FD gets back I'd be interested to see how it went down from the fans point of view? Did anyone at the game know he'd refused to come on etc..? I suspect he'll get a silent poznan if he ever 'graces' the turf at the Ethiad again...

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#3315 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 28, 2011, 12:14:48 pm
TomTom, we got back about 1:30am this morning having a done a day round trip so feeling a bit  :yawn: today after 23 hours of travelling, walking around Munich and the Oktoberfest lubricated by god knows how many litres of very good Duetsche Bier.

"Tevezgate" has marred what should have been a cause for celebration, i.e. playing the Champs Leage at places like Bayern in spite of the results. 

We knew that playing Bayern away was going to be the toughest game in the group so we went into this one hoping for a point at best.  To be frank, apart from a twenty minute spell in the first half where we attacked and kept possession, we got our arses kicked and Mancini has to accept some responsibility for the starting line up which included an unfit Kolo Toure.  We lost the game in the midfield with Barry and Kompany caught flat footed and conceded both goals from attacks down the wings where we were very exposed.  I felt sorry for Joe who made two excellent saves from which both goals were toe poked into the nets on the rebound.

We had no idea what was going on in the dugout during the game and were totally non plussed when De Jong came on. City went completely flat after that and the second half was a non event.

It was only after the game was over when we started to check Twitter and get texts from people back home that the Tevez situation became apparent.  We have a saying 'Typical City' derived from our ability to shoot ourselves in the foot over the years and there's a feeling at the club that we've left those times behind.  Sadly, last night demonstrated we have some way to go yet.

On the bright side, it's interesting to see the reaction of fans, pundits and professionals this morning with most  siding with the club, the other players and the manager rather than jeering.  Not Utd fans of course, they are full of glee and I can hardly blame them given the rather childish manner in which we rubbed the Tevez signing in their face with the Welcome to Manchester banner.   I hope he feels the full force of the board and whatever contractual or disciplinary measures can be brought to bear to end his contract and get him out of the club and into no mans land.

Finally, I had a brilliant day out. It really is something to see your own club scale to these dizzy heights and the joy of the fans was apparent when the Champions League music is ringing around a stadium of 75,000 people and we're all belting out Blue Moon.  I also came home with a hangover, having made some new friends and wearing a silly Bavarian hat with a feather in it.  So on balance, good times  :)

tomtom

• forum hero
#3316 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 28, 2011, 12:44:16 pm
Superb post.. sounds like a great trip despite the result :) Interestingly, I've seen quite a few ManU fans posting supportive comments about Mancini on post article comments. I dont think Tevez knows what he's done really.. he has for want of a better expression, captured the ire of the nation (re selfish extravagent primadonna footballers etc..).

I also came home with a hangover, having made some new friends and wearing a silly Bavarian hat with a feather in it.  So on balance, good times  :)

Thats excellent - still smiling 5 min after reading that.. its why life is worth living - and why football is so great :)

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#3317 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 29, 2011, 08:12:28 pm
Wonder if Slovenian prematch entertainment would work on a wet January night in Stoke/Grimsby/insert dire venue of choice

NSFW  :

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#3319 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 30, 2011, 04:47:37 pm
Backpass/Goalkeeping FAIL

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee
#3320 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 30, 2011, 10:35:18 pm
Interesting - The Hammers appear to have picked up Manuel Almunia on an emergency loan from The Arse. I know he wasn't that great for the Gunners but will be good to have him while England's No.1 is out having his knee knack sorted.

NB: ignore the horrible grammar in the following report:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/sep/30/manuel-almunia-west-ham-arsenal

philo

• forum hero
but will be good to have him while England's No.1 is out having his knee knack sorted.

Joe Hart is a hammer?   :blink:

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
With the recent managerial appointments upsetting the fans who will get sacked first?

Alex McLeish - Went from local rivals. Recent record includes 2 relegations, plus side is he won the FA cup.
Steve McLaren - Fake dutch accent, Most boring brand of football I have seen england play.
Danny Wilson - just had a team relegated, managed local piggy rivals, Got a team to the play off finals, relegated the following season.

Not sure about the forest fans stance but the other will be on the managers back from before kick off.

My money is on McLaren  :wank:
He dint get sacked but he has walked http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15145175.stm
Next england manager may arse  ;D

:tease:

tomtom

• forum hero
A good win for the Tigers :) And we've sneaked into the playoff places... its going to be an interesting year...

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
Bonus for us at the weekend, 3 points and forcing a managerial casualty.

I always enjoy being the straw that broke the manager's back. 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal