UKBouldering.com

Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread) (Read 1358203 times)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#3250 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 13, 2011, 09:12:45 am
Cracking article.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#3251 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 13, 2011, 11:24:40 am
"Interesting" talksport call

Jonathan in Swansea - I Hate Matt Forde

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#3252 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 13, 2011, 12:37:08 pm
sheff u away tonight get in!!!!

been to bramell lane once before and watched them get relegated from the premier league by wigan.
Loads of mates are blades so this is about bragging rights
 :jab:

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#3253 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 13, 2011, 12:47:01 pm
Aren't you supposed to be boycotting it over ticket prices?

Should be interesting, certainly seems to have piqued the interest of both sets of supporters - both sides unbeaten, Utd averaging 3 goals per game at the Lane, it has all the makings of a cracker.  So 0-0 then?

I was hoping to go with my neighbour but my record as an away fan at BL is 3-1 & 4-0 defeats with Blues and a 5-0 (might have been more) thrashing with Morecambe, so probably best I stay away.

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#3254 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 13, 2011, 01:00:47 pm
a lot of huddersfield fans are but my mate put it into perspective.
it cost £25 (£28.5 tonight) to go to hartle pool in the arse end of the world (no offence to any one from the north east). The amount of peotrol used to get to hartlepool on a tuesday night compared to a drive to sheff is gonna make up the difference.
plus my dad wants to go

Also I just spent £39 on a train ticket to london and back for charlton away so not an issue for a couple of quid

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#3255 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 13, 2011, 01:39:42 pm
This is interesting re the FA and drugs tests:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/gordonfarquhar/2011/09/one_of_the_more_absurd.html

I was unaware that the WADA put no requirement on associations or clubs to test players for use of recreational drugs when not competing. It's an interesting one but I think it's right and actually can't see why the FA need to test for cocaine, cannabis etc at all.

Surely it should be a matter between the club who pays the player's wages and the individual. If Ferguson is willing to put up with Rooney getting pissed and smoking then so be it. What's the difference if he has the odd line (he probably does anyway)? OK it's illegal but then so is prostitution and he's been afforded that vice too on numerous occasions.

What I mean is, if what a player does in his private life is affecting his performance / attitude etc then the club will want to do something about it. If what they do is not stopping them from doing their job to a level that the club is happy with then what's the problem and why does anyone else need to be involved?

The "role model" argument is also a crock of shit. I'd much rather my son was "looking up to" a player who it turned out had occasionally used recreational drugs than one who had sexually assaulted women, killed someone while driving pissed or was as fucking boring as Michael Owen.

tomtom

• forum hero
#3256 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 13, 2011, 02:23:50 pm
One for De Gea's scrap book...

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
#3257 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 13, 2011, 03:08:11 pm
One for De Gea's scrap book...

Well, least he wasn't to blame this time...  ::)

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#3258 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 13, 2011, 06:07:00 pm
.... or was as fucking boring as Michael Owen.

The thing with Michael Owen is that he's quite passionate and enthusiastic... but about horse racing rather than football! Did anyone see the interview where he broke down in tears when Brown Panther, a horse he's bred, won a race at Ascot.  I also remember him being interviewed in the Racing Post about his stables.  He was waxing lyrical about his dream of retiring, sitting in the back garden with a bacon sandwich, and watching his horses frollic about.  This was when he was being paid a fortune by Newcastle United... and people wonder whether he was entirely giving his all!  Incidentally, re Owen's training base - it's huge -  proper commitment - not just a horse or two, but an entire training operation with a dedicated, top level trainer. Still, I find something vaguely noble about pissing away money in horse ownership - it's a doomed romantic dream that keeps lots of malnourished Irish midgets in employment!  Far better than just buying horrible blingy cars and jewelry or keeping some gold-digging tart in Versace.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#3259 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 13, 2011, 06:15:26 pm
All very true.  And it is proper huge operation, like you say, fair play to him putting his money where his heart is:

http://www.manorhousestables.com/

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#3260 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 13, 2011, 06:56:07 pm
All very true.  And it is proper huge operation, like you say, fair play to him putting his money where his heart is:

That said, the recent expansion is because of massive investment by a billionaire Betfair founder.  Although there's no doubt Owen is willing to back his thinking on the horses with money.  My brother used to work for a bookies where Owen had a special, high-flyer's account and he'd regularly phone in huge bets. 

Mind you, lots of other footballers would also bet fortunes.  Some of them sounded like quite tragic cases, betting fortunes on stuff they quite clearly didn't understand ("want to bet on the red one on tellywith a "2" on it"  type stuff).  Stuck at home watching the racing channel etc and just feeling compelled to punt on sme meaningless US or all-weather meeting to give the day some interest.   

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#3261 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 14, 2011, 07:36:03 am
YYFY >>>  :punk:
What a night well worth my money ... there was a great chant going last night and summed the night up quite well

Your shit, and you charge too much
:lol:

It was a nice visit to sheff.

-edit- Statement corrected
What a night well worth my Dad's money
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 07:55:34 am by Grubes »

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#3262 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 14, 2011, 07:50:12 am

Yes it must be nice for all those Newcastle fans to see where their cash is being spent.  :P

Mind you, lots of other footballers would also bet fortunes.  Some of them sounded like quite tragic cases, betting fortunes on stuff they quite clearly didn't understand ("want to bet on the red one on tellywith a "2" on it"  type stuff).  Stuck at home watching the racing channel etc and just feeling compelled to punt on sme meaningless US or all-weather meeting to give the day some interest.

John Terry?

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#3263 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 14, 2011, 08:29:26 am
John Terry was never mentioned - they were mainly comparatively low rent Premier League players.  The sort whose names you recognise but are hard to place (I always end up assuming they play for either Blackburn or Bolton).  I remember one call my brother took from a player was on a match day afternoon and, from the echoey noises, sounded like it was coming from the players tunnel (bizarrely, as I recall, the bet was on something completely random and unrelated to that day).

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#3264 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 14, 2011, 08:33:44 am
The perils of paying massive sums of money to relatively unintelligent young men who have loads of time on their hands.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#3266 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 15, 2011, 12:46:25 pm
Pretty much agree totally with this piece about the Football League show:

http://theseventytwo.com/football-league/championship/2011/09/15/media-week-buses-and-fake-brickwork-the-football-league-show/

I found myself shouting at the tv, calling Claridge a moron the other week when he said that Brighton had lost Elliott Bennett but that we have Liam Bridcutt who "plays exactly the same role" (one a winger / attacking midfielder who took set pieces, the other has the holding role and orchestrates play). But as the article says, you can't really expect him to know every player of every team..........

Hold on, that's his job "FUCK OFF CLARIDGE YOU MORON!!".

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#3267 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 15, 2011, 12:51:16 pm
there is an effort every week to get #steveclaridgeisawanker trending on a saturday night.

Dick as a player useless at reviewing matches. Sadford scum!!

Dolly

• forum hero
#3268 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 15, 2011, 02:03:27 pm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14928049.stm

Such a lovely modest self effacing man

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#3269 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 15, 2011, 03:14:14 pm
As someone on Twitter said, people don't hate him because he's rich, handsome and is a great player. They hate him because he says he's rich, handsome and is a great player.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#3270 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 16, 2011, 09:32:13 am
Oops

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
#3272 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 18, 2011, 12:53:41 pm
NLS news.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14901438.stm

"It's a great privilege. I intend to add vibrancy and fresh ideas to our approach off the field,"

"Much work has been done to develop relationships with key businesses in and around the area, and we must continue to work hard to ensure that our off-the-field commercial activity increases in an attempt to make the club self-sustainable."

:wall:

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
#3273 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 19, 2011, 08:25:49 am
Eddie Mitchell - Bournemouth Chairman

Don't you just wish the chairman of your own football club could demonstrate this level of passion?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#3274 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 19, 2011, 08:45:24 am
The total mess at Plymouth gets worse and worse:

http://www.twohundredpercent.net/?p=15146

Players sold, ground being sold, massive debts, dodgy chairmen with ulterior motives, manager struggling to do his job gets sacked. It's all very familiar.......

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/outside-the-box-brighton-fans-make-pilgrimage-to-help-plymouth-pay-the-bills-2356512.html

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal