UKBouldering.com

Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread) (Read 1360971 times)

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
do you mean @joey7barton, it's @robbiesavage8.

Good stuff between those two last night.

Sorry was getting two gobshites with bad hair confused ;)

Not to mention @PiersMoron has been wading into the "debate", too.

Speakinfg

Dr T

• forum hero

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
Hmmmm. I think its going to be another season similar to last, going off this weekends games. Am a little worried about De Gea, maybe a bit too young, but the next few games will either make or break his season i think. Going to be a tricky few months for us in defence now too.  :-\

Dr T

• forum hero
Going to be a tricky few months for us in defence now too.  :-\
welcome to my world....

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
It's very early, but Leeds look to be having problems (sorry rich_d)
Ok going back to Leeds for once I am not going to take the piss out of them. I am not even going to take the piss at the fact they lost a load of players and they have no money to spend. I am not even going to comment on the fact they have lost both their first games.
I found this while looking up on the protests: http://www.thedrum.co.uk/news/2011/08/09/24652-leeds-united-fc-follows-rangers-fc-s-lead-with-bbc-ban/
BBC’s in-house magazine Ariel, said that BBC Radio Leeds reporters were refused access to a press conference at the club last week, and that it will not allow the company to cover press conferences or interview team members until further notice, unless they were legally bound to do so.
A BBC spokesperson told PressGazette: “We have been informed by Leeds Utd FC that there will be no co-operation with the BBC outside the existing contractual agreements.
This seems like "oh fuck they still want to know who the owners were ... erm ah .. ban them from as much as we can keep Journo's away from the dark secrets we want to keep hidden!

Any way the point I was going to make is that the protests are completely pointless. The reason Leeds have no money to spend and maybe even the reason they  had a shit second half of the season last year is bates does not want Leeds in the premier league yet.
he made a deal with the creditors that if Leeds got in to the premier league by next season he would pay off all the outstanding debts the club owe. See wiki
after it was revealed that each creditor would receive 1p for every pound they were owed if Bates' bid was successful. The deal however contained a clause that this would rise substantially if the club attained promotion the Premiership within the next five seasons (before 2012-13)
All I can say is sorry Leeds fans protest all you want but you have no chance of getting money out of bates this season why would he want to pay out more money to the creditors than he has to?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Bates really is a proper twat isn't he.

Hmmmm. I think its going to be another season similar to last, going off this weekends games. Am a little worried about De Gea, maybe a bit too young, but the next few games will either make or break his season i think. Going to be a tricky few months for us in defence now too.  :-\

The trouble with De Gea is that the opposition already know his major weakness:

Weaknesses: Susceptible to shots from outside the area as demonstrated by Edin Dzeko's goal in the Community Shield. Only two goalkeepers in the top five European leagues conceded more times from long-range efforts than De Gea in 2010-11.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/player/_/id/108482/david-de-gea?cc=5739

Presumably this is something which Ferguson thinks can be ironed out as otherwise it puts into question the wisdom of the signing. Unless / until that happens, opposition managers are going to tell their players to bang shots at him at every opportunity. Mind you, Man U even managed to win stuff with Barthez in goal so I wouldn't worry too much!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

rp

been looking forward to this season on a few fronts:
1. as a life long reds fan who grew up with kenny in charge - it's almost too good to be true that it could happen again - he's under a lot of pressure after spending lots of cash - will be interesting to see where they are at christmas.
2. swansea city, ace to have a welsh team in the league - even better that it's not cardiff. south wales police and the trains must love the fact that every train back to swansea from everywhere in england goes through cardiff central station.
3. wrexham fc, almost dead and buried - the end of football in north wales - bring back the spirit of mickey thomas and donate a few quid to keep the club alive.

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
I still can't get my team sorted on the Premier League site, pretty annoying now!  :shrug:

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
It's busy again right now, generally is during and straight after games.  Try again during the week, should be quiet til Friday after tonight

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
I know it was "only" Swansea (who I thought looked very composed on the ball and played very well) but blimey what a debut for our new man.  Dzeko looked far better than last season too.  Toure playing further upfield as he did after 20 mins makes such a difference.  Great start to the season for City.   ;D

philo

• forum hero
bastards, i knew i should have stuck with aguero in my fantasy team. 

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
City have finally sealed the deal for Aguero http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14226198.stm

Now should I sawp hernandez for aguero in my fantasy team  :-\
Nah, he's south american, won't settle, waste of money.  Could have bought Andy Carrol for that and still had the loose change for Cameron Jerome.
Damn why did I listen to this I stuck with hernandez .. hes bloody injured and I missed it  :wall:

tomtom

• forum hero
The auto completed had selected Dzeco as my captain. Well done computer :) I may try transferring my worst player each week and letting auto select the new one..

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
Damn why did I listen to this I stuck with hernandez .. hes bloody injured and I missed it  :wall:

Sorry, I should have used the appropriate smileys to indicate that this was indeed sarcasm of the lowest order, the press seemed to think it was a gamble buying a young, skilful, quick, intelligent striker while the purchase of an atypical English centre forward - strong, one good foot, strong, drink problem, etc - for similar money was good business.

Likewise, FD, my *only* Swansea comment should have come with a healthy pinch of salt, Swansea were a very tidy side and it was a mightily impressive City performance with several standout individuals.  Exciting season ahead.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
I still can't get my team sorted on the Premier League site, pretty annoying now!  :shrug:

They've issued a statement:

http://www.premierleague.com/page/Headlines/0,,12306~2421213,00.html

Everyone has unlimited transfers up to the Gameweek 2 deadline so any points deducted will be restored. This means if you didn't get to set your team up properly you can change it completely now.

We also have the option to start scoring in the mini league from Gameweek 2, cancelling out this week. Don't think I'm really in favour of this as it's only one week and with the unlimited transfer option the problem can be corrected. However if anyone feels really strongly about it then we can have a vote?

I had Aguerro in my team but went with heart over head and put Balotelli in instead!  :badidea:

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
I took out Aguero and Suarez, replaced with Dzeko and Carroll and then took out dzeko for Bent  :thumbsdown:

rich d

• forum hero
I'm having problems accessing the fantasy league from my phone now - when does the first league scores come out?
Still back to real life and a UKB derby tonight between the mighty Leeds United and Hull (we're from Yorkshire honest). Be happy with a point tonight (and somewhat suprised). There's a bit of an opinion that it might be better (in the long run) for us to get beat a few more times to force Captain "fucking chelsea scum" Birdseye to put his hand into his personal Caribbean offshore slush fund that is LUAFC. I'd put up with relegation again if it got him out of the club.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
More good stuff from DT on the potential at City.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/aug/16/sergio-aguero-manchester-city-debut?CMP=twt_gu

Seems TF didn't live up to his start:

Francis made a promising start at the club, scoring two goals against Stoke City on his debut, but over the course of the season he was frequently injured. In total he scored 12 goals in 26 games and made the squad for the 1982 World Cup in Spain....

Back at his club, financial problems were again an issue. Francis' contract gave him a salary of £100,000 plus bonuses, which the club could no longer afford to pay to a player who regularly sustained injuries.[5] As a result, Francis was sold to Italian club Sampdoria.

Imagine not being able to pay a player £100k per annum

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
Form is temporary class is ever lasting and well Bates has no class

Bates said: "I'm saying I'm unimpressed by the demonstrations of a few morons" ... "I ain't going anywhere soon. Some fans may not like me, or agree with me, but you're stuck with me."

Bates added in his programme notes: "I saved your club in 2005 and 2007 when nobody else would."

Unlucky Leeds fan colonel sanders is staying a while on the bright side you have some nice new restaurants and a few more corporate boxes

tomtom

• forum hero
Traa laaa traa laaa traa laaa... I've still got my fingers in my ears and eyes shut. The world is fine last night didnt happen.. traa laa... (repeated manically..)

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Can't get that link to work.  :shrug:

Amazing stuff from Brighton last night. Our best start to a league campaign in 53 years.

http://thehovian.com/2011/08/18/cardiff-1-3-albion/

Far too early for predictions or gloating but it's all good.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

tomtom

• forum hero

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal