UKBouldering.com

Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread) (Read 1357843 times)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

Interesting discussion, surprised so many mentioning Blues as promotion candidates but Brighton attracting lots of praise too.

http://twofootedtackle.com/the-championship/five-go-predicting-the-championship/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ChrisNee+%28twofootedtackle%29

Yeah I read that earlier, quite interesting. People do seem to be ignoring the fact that we are still woefully short of cover at the back while waiting for El Abd and Elphick to come back from injury. As it stands if Gordon Greer gets injured or (more likely) suspended we are fucked.

tomtom

• forum hero
Its going to be wide open again this year in the Championship...

I've been reading some pre season rumblings about Hulls squad - average age of our back 4... 22, avge age of midfield 24 (exluding Bullard, Kilbans and Olif who will not play..)... I'm looking foward to the season. Playoff position has to be the goal really... but to be honest I'm really interested to see how a young side gels together...

Roll on friday :)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
TomTom is kilbans not gonna play can we have him again?
 ;)

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
just spotted this on the bbc site talking about the decline of the standard of football in yorkshire http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14365978.stm

not the best article as it does not mention the fact that hull are a well established in the championship. With potential to push on for play off as are L**ds.

But it does have some interesting stats.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
It is interesting that. Having lived in Sheffield for the best part of 20 years I never thought I'd see the day when both Wednesday & United were in the division below Brighton.

With potential to push on for play off as are L**ds.

From what I've heard from Leeds supporters they aren't looking forward to this season that much. There seems to have been a lot of bullshit spouted by the club and no action regarding replacing the players they have lost.

tomtom

• forum hero
just spotted this on the bbc site talking about the decline of the standard of football in yorkshire http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14365978.stm

not the best article as it does not mention the fact that hull are a well established in the championship. With potential to push on for play off as are L**ds.

But it does have some interesting stats.

Yes amazing, an article about Clubs in Yorkshire and it doesnt mention Hull once.. despite being the last Yorkshire team in the PL..

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
From what I've heard from Leeds supporters they aren't looking forward to this season that much. There seems to have been a lot of bullshit spouted by the club and no action regarding replacing the players they have lost.
All the l**ds fans at work seem quietly confident.
I really hope they have a fantastic season and lose in the play off final again It really does make my season watching them lose big games on TV.
It makes me remember them all spouting about there god given right to be the best team in yorkshire and the fact they where champions of europe :-\
Ok here comes my favourite photo of leeds fans

Sorry been missing the l**ds v town banter at work needed to vent. I feel better now will give the l**ds hate a rest for now.

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!

Blackburn's cheapest adult season ticket is £225 for this season coming. Seems pretty good value to me.

At least we're top of a table for the coming season, don't try to steal our glory!

Speaking of Blackburn.......

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/blackburn-rovers/8668315/Blackburn-Rovers-squad-used-in-Venkys-chicken-advert-with-predictably-hilarious-results.html

Has anyone got a link anywhere for the truly gruesome "Scotch on the Rocks" Chrysler ad from 1978?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
The only hideous Scottish football related 1978 Chrysler advert I can find (after 10 seconds Googling) is this one:

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
I'm a Leeds fan (albeit of the armchair variety) and think it would be a minor miracle if we scraped into midtable.  The squad is much weaker than it was at the end of last season with Kasper Schmeichel, Kilkenny and Johnson all leaving during the window.  Any money from those sales and that of Delph etc. has presumably disappeared permanently into whatever Cayman Islands tax dodge now owns the club.  The only "signing" has been a 34yo Michael Brown on a free and nobody expects that there's more yet to come. 

Added to that, our first choice strikers (Becchio and Somma) now have long term injuries - both out for up to 6 months.  The records of their replacements (Paynter and McCormack) make Heskey look prolific.  The only bright-spots are that we still have Snodgrass and Gradel, although the January transfer window will likely bring fresh horrors in that respect.  There's a feeling that the squad is a hostage to the whims of Ken Bates; if he wants to buy a new fitted kitchen, he'll have no hesitation in asset stripping the squad to pay for it.  In essence, I would be very surprised if our downward trajectory at the end of last season didn't continue.

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
The only hideous Scottish football related 1978 Chrysler advert I can find (after 10 seconds Googling) is this one:

That's my boy!

The only SotR videos I found - via YooToob - were of  the "Black Watch" single version circa 1975.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

tomtom

• forum hero
I'm a Leeds fan (albeit of the armchair variety) and think it would be a minor miracle if we scraped into midtable.  The squad is much weaker than it was at the end of last season with Kasper Schmeichel, Kilkenny and Johnson all leaving during the window.  Any money from those sales and that of Delph etc. has presumably disappeared permanently into whatever Cayman Islands tax dodge now owns the club.  The only "signing" has been a 34yo Michael Brown on a free and nobody expects that there's more yet to come. 

Added to that, our first choice strikers (Becchio and Somma) now have long term injuries - both out for up to 6 months.  The records of their replacements (Paynter and McCormack) make Heskey look prolific.  The only bright-spots are that we still have Snodgrass and Gradel, although the January transfer window will likely bring fresh horrors in that respect.  There's a feeling that the squad is a hostage to the whims of Ken Bates; if he wants to buy a new fitted kitchen, he'll have no hesitation in asset stripping the squad to pay for it.  In essence, I would be very surprised if our downward trajectory at the end of last season didn't continue.

I'm afraid I've only ever had unpleasant experiences at Elland road and (sadly) of Leeds fans in general (present company excepted) and I find the general 'we are the best' (including last year) trumpeting from many a white as distateful as that of ManU fans.. Lets just say I dont warm to the club.

But, I do have a sympathy for any club that is being badly run, especially by Satans Santa aka Ken Bates. God knows what sort of hidden, carribbean banked state your finances are in... From the outside I was under the impression that Leeds had bottomed out (financially as well as league wise) and was in a reasonable state to progress or bobble about where they are.. I guess thats not the case..

tomtom

• forum hero
Some strong words from Gustavo on the new 'only 5 subs allowed' rule...

http://www.skysports.com/video/inline/0,26691,16428_7074055,00.html

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
He's right. It's a fucking stupid decision.

rich d

• forum hero
As a Leeds fan I hold out very little hope for the coming season, as has already been said we have a weaker squad and already have players out injured. I don't think that casper is much of a loss (and not just because he comes from scum stock) he looks good on highlights as he's a good shot stopper but in the flesh he's pretty poor and cost us points last season.
Grubes me and my mates don't think we've got a god given right to be anywhere apart from where we are. For most of my time as a supporter we've been in lower divisions and been pretty shit, so where we are feels kind of normal to us. I suppose we do look like a big club compared to Huddersfield so can understand where you're coming from ;)
Can't be bothered going back through the thread but whoever was moaning that the piece on Yorkshire football missed out Hull isn't that because Hull is in Humberside and not Yorkshire.

tomtom

• forum hero

Can't be bothered going back through the thread but whoever was moaning that the piece on Yorkshire football missed out Hull isn't that because Hull is in Humberside and not Yorkshire.

Have a free geography lesson ;)

Humberside was born in 1974 and died in 1996... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humberside

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
 :boxing:

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
obviously that news hasn't reached the bbc yet:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/england/humberside/

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
Seen this?
Mario Balotelli: I don't like Manchester and I'm homesick
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/aug/01/mario-balotelli-manchester-city-homesick

going back to this as I just saw they have the interview the bbc site.
BBC Sport - Mario Balotelli unhappy in Manchester
The translation I heard was him saying he loves playing for man city, the manager, the team etc. Its just manchester he does not like but he has no interest in leaving. So nothing to worry about. Plus they are in the champions league so he will get see nice warm places (or he might end up away in russia in november and see the beauty of manchester)

TomTom is kilbans not gonna play can we have him again?
 ;)
meh hes gone to Derby

tomtom

• forum hero
Yup, Killers gone to Derby.. I like him, though he does have the manoeuvrability of a super tanker nowadays... Richard Garcia's left in no mans land, I think the club are helping him but hedid his knee in just after contract negotiations began, and then his contract expired..

nai, yes good old BBC and the 5-0 are still called humberside police.. Historically it's always been part of Yorkshire, which in it's time was effectively a country within the UK. East Riding of Yorkshire is where it sits nowadays - which is confusing as there is Hull County Council and the East Riding of Yorkshire Council outside of the city limits. Confused? Welcome to the sometimes bonkers world of unitary authorities. RDA's are another matter again... *yawns*

tommytwotone

• forum hero
  • Southern jessie turned Almscliff devotee

Doncaster is the second most expensive  :o who the f.. is gonna go there?

Still paying off the new stadium I should think!

Will report on the pie cost benefit...I'm there for the Hammers' first away game next weekend, should be an interesting one, my first West Ham game as an away supporter.

I'm really not sure what to expect from the coming season for the Irons, obviously we've lost a lot of key players but Nolan looks like a good acquisition. Rumours that Joey Barton might be coming our way though!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal