UKBouldering.com

Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread) (Read 1357848 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
Nice way to start the season. Is it on sky?

I dont know, but as it's 7:45 on Friday, with no other games on I'd suspect it is..

tomtom

• forum hero
TomTom, welcome back to blighty.  Yeah I've seen the Balotelli story and to be honest I tend to ignore everything that's written about City players in the press as speculative or spin unless it's a direct interview with someone at the club.

Cheers :) good to be back. I think it's shaping up to be a cracking season.. New steeliness at City, Resurgent scousers, ManU will be as strong as ever, interesting to see how El Chelski will shape up, Arsene will doubtless find some new Gallic wonder kid and play lovely tippy tappy again... Harry 'knees up mother brown' will keep spurs rolling along.. All looking interesting...

Are there any hoops fans here, as Qpr seem to have had a poor transfer window and I'm not fancying their chances much...

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
It's far from just a poor transfer window. Linked this very informative article a bit back which is well worth a read:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/jul/25/neil-warnock-queens-park-rangers

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams

I dont know, but as it's 7:45 on Friday, with no other games on I'd suspect it is..

You suspect correctly

Massive stroek of luck for me this weekend, sister-in-law visiting with no hubby, just kiddy.  A generous tactical offer to babysit on Saturday night has relieved me of daytime responsibilities so I'm off to Derby.  In one of those backs-to-the-wall gestures Blues have sold fans have shrugged off their apathy and bought the whole 4,000 allocation so it should be a great atmosphere.  Cup final aside I haven't been this excited about a match since villa in our first premier league season of 2001.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
I know it's only a friendly tournament but City looked very good playing Inter yesterday.  I'm looking forward to the Charity Shield next Sunday as I have the feeling that for once, it will be a competitive game with Utd having something more to prove than the Blues.

I read that David Silva ran the game. Think he could be massive for City this season.

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak

You suspect correctly
Cool enough of an excuse to go se my parents to watch the football ask them how there holiday was

The Cup final aside I haven't been this excited about a match since villa in our first premier league season of 2001.
I am can't wait for the season to start now. We have Bury at home and we have just signed a midfielder from bournemouth. Apprarently he likes to put his foot through people and thats what we need

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Sounds as if Newcastle have released Joey Barton. WTF!?

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
tune into twitter at 4pm when all will be revealed

https://twitter.com/#!/joey7barton

tomtom

• forum hero
Sounds as if Newcastle have released Joey Barton. WTF!?

HMP Newcastle? ;)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
It's already been confirmed. The club told him this morning that he can leave on a free transfer.

What the hell are they playing at?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Looks like Enrique could be next then, never a dull moment at the Toon! What's happened to the Carrol money I wonder? They are looking favourites for relegation at this rate.

philo

• forum hero
have you read his arguments with fans?

Joey7Barton Joseph Barton
@
@TheFurlz ha u think am that naïve?....wouldn't be surprised if u were a plant from a certain discount retail org. Do me a favour and jog on

Joey7Barton Joseph Barton
@
@TheFurlz ur that much of a nugget, u can't even spell moron. After I'd spelt it for u before.

:2thumbsup: :2thumbsup: :2thumbsup: :wank:

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
For anyone who likes a bet, the Racing Post's Big Kick Off supplement is in tomorrow's issue.  Fairly invaluable if you're tempted by a punt and a pretty good pointer to the season even if you're not.

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
nai, you just beat me to the heads-up!  Just to re-iterate: the RP's football season preview is generally well worth reading.  Lots of stats to quote in arguments with cliche-mongers (actually, I think you'll find they had a good away record...) and lots of interesting opinion pieces of a generally more considered nature than the newspapers (afterall, these people tend to back up their opinions with cash). 

For punters it lists lots of the "special" bets available.  These are often not widely publicised and can give better odds than a "standard" bet for a practically equivalent outcome (e.g. if the odds of a team to get relegated are too small, you might find a bet at better odds on them to do worse than team that'll likely be mid-table ).  All in all, definitely worth a look for a couple of quid.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
and it's got the pricewise antepost tip for the Leger, which will no doubt be worth a flutter

Interesting thing on bbc today, the price off football (Championship posted as it effects most of us):

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14366246.stm

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
for those of you who like pie charts. Heres a chart that includes the price of pies

I am quite surprised liverpool is the most expensive I would of thought it would be arsenal (they came second)

Doncaster is the second most expensive  :o who the f.. is gonna go there?

To me the most depressing thin on there is that fulham and man city don't even do pies?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Quite interesting but as it's basing it on match day prices rather than season tickets the stat extrapolating the cost saving over 23 home league games (or 30 seasons) is rather meaningless! If you were going to that many home games you'd not be paying on the door every week.

A major reason that Brighton have sold 18,000 season tickets is that they are very reasonably priced in comparison to match day prices and people could get them on monthly DD with no big deposit.

galpinos

• forum hero
A major reason that Brighton have sold 18,000 season tickets is that they are very reasonably priced in comparison to match day prices and people could get them on monthly DD with no big deposit.

Blackburn's cheapest adult season ticket is £225 for this season coming. Seems pretty good value to me.

At least we're top of a table for the coming season, don't try to steal our glory!

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
just been to buy an RP but the supplement is on tomorrows.
namibian is the leger tip tho at 10-1.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

Blackburn's cheapest adult season ticket is £225 for this season coming. Seems pretty good value to me.

At least we're top of a table for the coming season, don't try to steal our glory!

Speaking of Blackburn.......

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/blackburn-rovers/8668315/Blackburn-Rovers-squad-used-in-Venkys-chicken-advert-with-predictably-hilarious-results.html

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
Absolutely brilliant, been meaning to look that out for a few days.  No opposition fans will mention it I'm sure.

tomtom

• forum hero
Shame to see we're 6th in the pie chart ;)

Very happy to have been granted a pass out for Fridays game... :)

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
effort, tomtom.

Looks like up north is the place for pie deals .

Might see if Kili are home when I'm up there in a few weeks if I can pick up a £1.60 bargain

Interesting discussion, surprised so many mentioning Blues as promotion candidates but Brighton attracting lots of praise too.

http://twofootedtackle.com/the-championship/five-go-predicting-the-championship/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ChrisNee+%28twofootedtackle%29

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
ROLL UP ROLL UP TELL YOUR FRIENDS ETC ETC:

It's that time of year again ......

http://fantasy.premierleague.com/

League code: 306635-89634

;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal