UKBouldering.com

Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread) (Read 1358220 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
#2325 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
February 23, 2011, 09:41:39 am
I pay £8 a month to get all of Sky sports (and ESPN) on my Ifern through the sky player app. I then have an AV cable that plugs into the back of the TV and the phone and bobs your uncle. Quality is OK, though not quite as good as regular def TV (kind of Iplayer standard qwalidy). Certainly quite watchable - I watched chunks of the ashes on it.. (it gets a bit blocky when the camera pans rapidly and the codec struggles with the changing image - Many flags waving in a footyc rowd seems to give it a headache!)
You have to jailbreak the phone and use the Tvout app via Cydia, but it all works fine... as long as you have a wifi or 3g signal (it works really well over 3g surprisinly, but eats that data allowance!)

A good solution for me, as I dont want to spend c.£30 a month for all the sky shizzle, and I can take it and watch it at both of my abodes... It also works on 3g, 3gs and ipod touches.... (and it used to be only £6 a month.. grr...)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#2326 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
February 23, 2011, 09:49:13 am
I guess it depends what subscription you have and how many individual games are pay-per-view and their respective costs, if monthly thats < £118 through Sky then you'd be saving cash.

Exactly. Sky Sports doesn't cost £118 a month for individuals.

At the risk of sounding like a complete fukcwit, I think Spanish teams can negotiate their own TV rights withe the consequqnce that they have a big2, rather than our 4ish

I think that's right. It would be a shit path to go down.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

Dolly

• forum hero
#2328 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
February 24, 2011, 01:56:40 pm

Speakers or headphones needed

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#2329 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
February 25, 2011, 11:33:40 am
Good news for Scum supporters! The Glazers are staying!

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/885540/glazer-family-stress-commitment-to-manchester-united?cc=5739

The EBITDA figure they quote is the biggest load of bollocks ever invented. As they're reporting that rather than "Profit" I take it they're still making a loss.

Teaboy

• forum hero
#2330 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
February 25, 2011, 01:12:58 pm
The bond they issued last year (£500 million) costs £45 million in interest, makes you wonder how anyone could value the club at £1.6 billion, i guess football clubs are an asset bubble like any other.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#2331 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
February 25, 2011, 01:42:08 pm
Yeah most analysts seem to think that the Glazers paid top whack which is why they're not really in a position to sell anyway. The £1.6bn is what they've said they value the club at (or so I believe) so it means fuck all. Hicks and Gillette "valued" Liverpool at a few hundred million more than anyone would ever have actually paid them for it (which is why their court cases are a total nonsense).

I reckon the Glazers would love to sell. They're struggling to keep their heads above water not just with the Scum but with their other businesses and although they keep banging on about increasing revenue, there's little point when it's all getting eaten up in interest charges. Simple fact is that there's no fucking way the club is worth what they want/need to get for it so unless some mentalist sheik steps in they aren't going to find a mug/buyer.

Teaboy

• forum hero
#2332 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
February 28, 2011, 10:44:54 am
Who'd be an Arsenal supporter? I'm gutted for them and their not my team.

Snoops

• obsessive maniac
#2333 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
February 28, 2011, 11:49:10 am
Who'd be an Arsenal supporter? I'm gutted for them and their not my team.

Born with it. Shit happens, anyways Birm played well, and we could easily have been 2-0 down with 10 men early on.
Fixture congestion is an issue though, 2 matches a week never ending is getting a bit silly.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#2334 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
February 28, 2011, 12:02:26 pm
Strangely I'm not, the best team on the day won, and besides they've got bigger fish to fry, do hope they win the league and european cup.

Anyway, I bombarded twitter with my ramblings until I passed out in the early hours, don't wish to keep going on and sounding like gloating but what a day, made all the better by my ticket falling through on Friday and having to fork out extra for a Club Wembley seat.  Quite a surreal experience a long way removed from the terraces of the 70s & 80s and great old grounds like Leeds Rd, Milmoor, Griffin Park and many others.   But in the end it really did make the day.

And the view of the action was spot on too, we were right under the trophy presentation and the players walked back down with the trophy right in front of us.  The seven year old boy in me leapt to the fore and I slapped backs, grabbed hands (including McLeish) and told them all what legends they are.  Must have been getting over enthusiastic because Keith Fahey even gave me a slap back.

There's lots more pics on flickr if anyone's interested, not sure how to link to a set and I have to go back to tthe real world now.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#2335 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
February 28, 2011, 12:05:10 pm
There's lots more pics on flickr if anyone's interested, not sure how to link to a set and I have to go back to tthe real world now.

Got to the set and embed a link as per anything else.

Teaboy

• forum hero
#2336 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
February 28, 2011, 12:51:28 pm
Strangely I'm not, the best team on the day won, and besides they've got bigger fish to fry, do hope they win the league and european cup.

Obvioulsy I'm pleased for your lot that they have won something but I just want Arsenal to win someting to keep the Wenger project going. If they contiue to fail to win anything then they'll start haemorrhaging players and the last chance for someone other than Man U, Chelsea or Man City to win the league will have gone.

Their win against Barcelona was te worst thing that could have happened to them, since then thhey've taken their eye off the ball and lost the Final and now have an extra game to play. Even if they go through against Barca all they will have achieved is doing Man U and Chelsea's hard work for them, to whom they will probably go out in the next round.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#2337 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
February 28, 2011, 04:41:18 pm

Anyway, I bombarded twitter with my ramblings until I passed out in the early hours, don't wish to keep going on and sounding like gloating but what a day, made all the better by my ticket falling through on Friday and having to fork out extra for a Club Wembley seat. 

Did they have fans like this is at Club Wembley?

tomtom

• forum hero
#2338 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
February 28, 2011, 04:43:15 pm
That could (just) be Nai on the left you know...

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#2339 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
February 28, 2011, 04:48:06 pm
I think they'll keep losing players anyway due to Wenger/the clubs reluctance to break wage ceilings.  It is a shame because he really could produce something amazing and I would love to see him win the CL but with the better players heads being regularly turned it will be very difficult.

Were it not for a defensive mix up they would have won yesterday, we'd done very well in the second half to retain possession better but were starting to lose shape and give it straight back again.  Several players were out on their feet and Ben Foster couldn't keep them out forever.  Just one tiny lapse of concentration which I think will resolve them for their upcoming games.

What is good to hear is praise for the match yesterday, we're not the best liked team but to hear Hansen et al say we deserved it, Sav choking up while commentating and praise on 5live today for the fans, the atmosphere, the celebrations, saying the competition has been given some honour back.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#2340 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
February 28, 2011, 04:52:04 pm
 :ohmy:  :blink:  there is a similarity there.  I'm sure I'd have remembered that tho.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#2341 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
February 28, 2011, 04:54:50 pm
That could (just) be Nai on the left you know...

I did notice the similarity eventually 

tomtom

• forum hero
#2342 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
February 28, 2011, 05:32:43 pm
Sav choking up while commentating

I thought he dropped his shopping :)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

Teaboy

• forum hero
I don't know if anyone else listens to the Guardian Football Weekly podcast but the James Richardsons comment on the Ashley Cole was particulalry funny today (maybe it wasn't and I'm just childish but its usually worth listening to anyway)

Dolly

• forum hero
Anyone watch chelski vs man u tonight ?
Now I'm no man u apologist but Chelsea kicked them off the fuckin pitch and were lucky to have 11 on by the end.
Luiz is talented but dirty and Terry is a cheating cockney wanker.
At least the humble charity worker who goes by the name of Ashley Cole had the decency to royally fuck up his free kick at the end of the first half

tomtom

• forum hero
Yup a great game. I was glad to see Rooney get a taste of his own medicine from Luiz (who looks like a top notch signing) seeing as the FA has FA balls.

This was always going to be battle of the wankers - but it was actually a really good game... Dolly, did you have your red underpants on tonight? Vidic was right to go, penalty looked about right and Nani was play acting and referee badgering all the way. I thought it was about equal on the who are the biggest wanker front..  My best 'moment' was after the whistle, when rooney went to argue with the referee and had is 'im angry little boy sticky outy chin' :)

Dolly

• forum hero
I completely agree re Vidic.
Thought Evra was cut to pieces though.
Terry and Cole are still wankers

Dolly

• forum hero
No to the red pants BTW. Too close to the Blunts(Blades) for me  :)

tomtom

• forum hero
Yup. Cnuts would be about right for those two... Ramirez is also a good signing from Ancellotti..

(my pants are always tiger skin - furry side inwards before El-Stallioni asks..) ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal