UKBouldering.com

Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread) (Read 1357783 times)

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
Did you go to Hillsbro today Jasper ?
I'm not asking to crow  - just to talk about the game

Yes. we did. It wasn't very good.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Indeed. It was pretty bad and the referee and linesmen were utterly useless.

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
Indeed. It was pretty bad and the referee and linesmen were utterly useless.

i.e. "He gave some decisions against Albion"

cowboyhat

• forum hero

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
Good to see a nice competitive start to the FF season with 7 points covering places 2 to 6. It's a fierce pace being set by Toby so far, hopefully we can reel him back in  ;)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
For the Wednesday contingent (in particular):

http://www.twohundredpercent.net/?p=8684

Dolly

• forum hero
Interesting read that Jasper.
TBH I've stopped following the "alleged takeover" as there have been so many rumours and counter rumours from those supposedly "in the know" on Owlstalk. It does seem pretty clear that most of the current  board are not blessed by competence but the rest of it is mired in the trading of counter opinions. I think I'm right in saying that the guy from the Yorkshire Post has a bit of a reputation himself as well

I thought the ref was poor on Saturday - but probably for different reasons to you. By the linesmen being weak do you mean the decisions against you in the last 10 minutes ?
Hard to see from our seats TBH.

I enjoyed the match really - not just cos we won but the crowd was fairly lively and the Brighton fans were in good voice as well. Good atmosphere walking back with both sets of fans in Hillsbro Park

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
I thought the ref was poor on Saturday - but probably for different reasons to you. By the linesmen being weak do you mean the decisions against you in the last 10 minutes ?
Hard to see from our seats TBH.

Yeah particularly the incident when our player chased the ball down and kept it in (we were a few feet away and I don't think it actually touched the line) and the linesman flagged that it had gone out. He must have been too far back from play to have seen anything as if he'd been in line he'd have known what happened which means he made the decision based on.....er......I'm not sure what. I don't even think the Wednesday fans were making a fuss as it was so obviously not out.

The ref seemed weak and intimidated by the crowd (fuck's sake it wasn't exactly Wembley). Fair enough with the Mellor / El Abd incident he probably got it right as El Abd was a dick and went down like Rivaldo but the two footed tackle on Painter had to be a straight red and if a player gets shoved to the ground while chasing the ball in the penalty area, it's a penalty.

To be fair, without our two suspended new signings and Navarro (who's out for the season and we need to replace) plus the need to get at least three more players in to have a full strength squad, we didn't do too badly.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Interesting article this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2010/aug/25/england-capello-walcott-johnson-arteta-scholes

Agree with 3/4 of his observations but I think Arteta should be given a chance. It's all very well getting on your high horse about not blurring the lines on nationality but that horse bolted a long long time ago.

Citing Spain as a nation who don't need to do this because they're good is rather foolish when they have a Brazilian playing for them. Look at the German side, Eduardo playing for Croatia, all the African players playing for France etc etc (not to mention the "Irish" "Scottish" and "Welsh" sides including Andy Townsend, Neil Sullivan and Vinny Jones).

Virtually every other national side includes nationalised players so why not England?

Dr T

• forum hero
I think Arteta should be given a chance. It's all very well getting on your high horse about not blurring the lines on nationality but that horse bolted a long long time ago.

fair play

Virtually every other national side includes nationalised players so why not England?

becuase the redtop readership are generally zenophobic types who would rather not have anyone with a vaguely foreign sounding name playing either - it's a sad state of affairs but this is a small island sometimes....

personally I thought the mixed background of the German team was a true reflection of the state oof the nation and I think it'll be a positive force - would be nice to have some redtop readers walking around with England shirts with a Polish name on the back some time in the future, I mean why not the Polish population is significant here.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 02:01:25 pm by Dr T »

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
I'd be happy for Arteta to play for us, seeing as we have been doing likewise for other foreign born British citizens for a while in other sports. However, I'd rather see someone like Jack Wilshere given a chance. Likewise Kieron Gibbs as understudy to cashley.

Johnson should have been in Africa this summer and hopefully Walcott will be given a run in the side too.

England's main problem is having no decent strikers other than Rooney on a world level. We'd be better off playing 1 forward supported by 2 wingers and actually passing the ball to them.

Dr T

• forum hero
So will old red nose be setting Raphael lines tomorrow for extra home work  ;D

makes the pain of last night feel that much less

:dance1: :dance1: :dance1: :dance1: :dance1: :dance1: :dance1: :dance1: :dance1: :dance1: :dance1: :dance1:

Shame on you for not cheering for the last English team in Europe.

the shame would be supporting a team you "dislike" everyother day of the year just becuase they're an English team, where's the sense in that  :-\

I know it's poking the bear with a sharp stick but I'll be cheering for the Young boys tonight  ;D

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
England's main problem is having no decent strikers other than Rooney on a world level. We'd be better off playing 1 forward supported by 2 wingers and actually passing the ball to them.

Zamora ran the Scum back line ragged the other day.......  ;)

Dr T - I agree completely which is why I found it surprising that Paul Wilson (in the Grauniad) went down the "no foreigners" route while being at pains to point out that he isn't racist.

Quote from: "I'm no racist but..." Paul Wilson
Have we no pride? There aren't many jobs around that stipulate being English, and quite right too. But playing for England ought to be one of them. Otherwise what's the point?

Er... the point is Paul that when someone is nationalised as such then surely they have as much right to call themselves English as anyone else.

I know it's poking the bear with a sharp stick but I'll be cheering for the Young boys tonight  ;D

Shame they let those two away goals in. Can't see Spurs cocking it up but it would be very funny......

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2010/aug/25/england-capello-walcott-johnson-arteta-scholes

Because he's selfish, immature, refuses to play for his club as he can't be arsed to travel 45 minutes into work, & is more interested in his "spice boy" persona and media career than grinding out the performance for both Hampshire and England he's paid for?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/jun/17/kevin-pietersen-hampshire-exit

(Oh. And "naturalized", not "nationalised".)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

Because he's selfish, immature, refuses to play for his club as he can't be arsed to travel 45 minutes into work, & is more interested in his "spice boy" persona and media career than grinding out the performance for both Hampshire and England he's paid for?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/jun/17/kevin-pietersen-hampshire-exit

(Oh. And "naturalized", not "nationalised".)

Knew I was getting that wrong but didn't know the right word.  :oops:

Re KP, exactly. We've been doing this in cricket and egg chasing for years.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
I wouldn't fuck with the ref if he's Brazillian

Well that's one way of dealing with indiscipline.

Anyone know what's going on at Birmingham (nai?)? Reports that the holding company is collapsing under it's debts but then they put a £9m offer in for N'zogbia.
 :shrug:

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
No idea Jasper, I've tried forums and google but can't find anything but this response in a local rag:

http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/birmingham-city-fc/birmingham-city-fc-news/2010/08/25/tom-ross-why-aston-villa-and-birmingham-city-aren-t-in-crisis-at-all-97319-27134555/

you got a link to the story?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
No I've just seen it alluded to in various articles. "Reports are that...." etc. Can't find the original story.

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
I wouldn't fuck with the ref if he's Brazillian

Well that's one way of dealing with indiscipline.

Anyone know what's going on at Birmingham (nai?)? Reports that the holding company is collapsing under it's debts but then they put a £9m offer in for N'zogbia.
 :shrug:
a crushing defeat at the hands of Bolton on Sunday won't help I suppose, mwah ha ha ha!

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
5th vs 6th, should be a corker  :-\

Never been completely comfortable with the takeover, gotta wonder why CY paid so over-the-odds for the club.  Not much you can do though but hold on, enjoy it while it lasts and hope it doesn't end up like Portsmouth.

Adam Lincoln

• forum hero
    • Flickr Page, Vimeo Videos and Blog
Great goal by Inzaghi last night

Dr T

• forum hero
Great goal by Inzaghi last night
:great:

reminds me of this beaut.

Grubes

• forum hero
  • Fat and Weak
#1674 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
September 07, 2010, 12:49:32 pm
Not looking good for wednesday http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/sheff_wed/8976096.stm Admin will be a major blow with the point deduction.

Also is it just me getting sick of the news of the world putting out stories that adds pressure to england player ahead of important matches. Will they just fuck off.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal