UKBouldering.com

Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread) (Read 1357826 times)

Dr T

• forum hero
Was up at the Emirates yesterday for the 1:1 draw with AC Milan.
As the prof’ said the Arsenal were very good for the first 70 min’s then the substitutions confused the issue and AC pulled one back.
I know there are a few Gooners here so here’s my quick break down if anyone’s interested, if not just ignore–

Fabianski, he worries me big time, had my heart in mouth everything he did anything, think perhaps he is better than people might think but his previous bad form doesn’t fill anyone (inc the back 4) with confidence
Vermaelen, solid as he was all last season a couple of good opportunities in the box too
Koscielny, very impressive work rate, good hard tackling, seemed solid in the air and lots of ground covered – a pretty good signing by the looks of it
Rosicky, good performance working forward and back, didn’t get as much service out wide as he could have done
Nasri, very good in the middle of the park, not quite Fabregas yet, needs more composure in the final third
Wilshere, pretty much as for Nasri, strong runner but then seemed to get over excited and scuffed the end product
Arshavin, languid genius with a vicious turn of pace – the truly world class member of the team on the day
Eboue, not convince about his defending – good going forward, probably better as a midfielder
Gibbs, played with real energy, will be very good in attack and defence if he carries improving
Chamakh, a replacement for Adebayor who can actually be bothered to run and defend – wish we had had him last year
Frimpong. Solid enough but not a finished product yet

Subs:
Sagna, better than Eboue but not as good as Gibbs or Clichy on the other wing
Vela, flashy on the ball with a few great moments but still looks lightweight
Walcott, fast, too fast sometimes, good crossing but not great in the box
Djourou, played defensive midfield so not much indication of how he would fit back in in the back 4
Clichy, impressive but maybe not quite as impressive as Gibbs
Randall, didn’t have time to do much other than scuff a clear double opportunity to win it right at the end

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
A heads-up: tomorrow (Weds) is the Racing Post issue with the 80 page Premier League preview pull-out.   Before you dismiss it as only of interest to gamblers, I'd give it a look - on previous form it'll be a decent read for any fan who appreciates a good bit of in-depth reading fodder.  Shit loads of generally decent punditry and previews; afterall, unlike the likes of Shearer and Hanson, the RP fellas will have their own money at stake and will have bothered to research their judgements - rather than just trotting-out the same old cliches.

That said.... if you like a punt... it goes without saying that it's a must; if only to keep abreast of the best offers at the bookies.  Many of the best bets are specials that aren't widely advertised - like season-long match-bets between sides.  I've made a fair few quid in recent seasons with bets pointed up in the RP specials.  Eg. last season you could get 5/6 on both Stoke to do better than Portsmouth, and Sunderland to do better than West Ham - complete gimme's with the financial meltdowns at West Ham and Portsmouth.  Mind you, the trick is knowing which of the many recommended to ignore... Still, it provides an interest and is less hassle and offers a higher probability of return than a fantasy team!

Dr T

• forum hero
Just thought I'd test the water of ukb opinion on this one
Cesc Fabregas -
should/will he stay?
should/will he go?

It's a hard one because everyone's coming out with statements except  Fabregas himself, well not clear concise ones anyway, everything he says seems to be covering his own arse two ways.

To have a malcontent in any team, be it sports or otherwise, is never helpful, especially if he's the leader.
Is he professional enough to play with heart when he appears to want to be elsewhere?

I find myself drifting to the opinion that the right thing to do would be to sell the pay slightly over the odds for someone like Ozil making a nice tidy profit in the mean time...

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
I think they should let him go personally as he has played well and with passion for the gunners for the last few seasons but not got the club level silverware his efforts deserve! I think a player like Ozil would fit in very well and Fabregas would free up the funds necessary and then some. I can't see Arsenal winning anything soon with Wenger's policy on player development (bringin them through and then they fuck off to pastures new before a good mature/consistent team can form). They definitely need a couple more world class players to be proper title/european cup contenders.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
If I was Wenger I'd have screwed as much cash out of Barca as possible for him and spent it on three decent players. Much as I love Fabregas as a player, if he doesn't want to be there then he's not going to be at his best and will drag the team down.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
Marina nails it again:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/aug/05/england-frank-lampard-ipod

"Yet at no stage, not even in my most grimly cynical moments, did I suspect that the once-bitten Frank was at that very moment lending his lasered imprimatur to something that even in a crowded marketplace would manage to redefine early 21st century tosserage.

If you had to distil the very essence of hubris into a single product, you would surely be left with a gold-plated Frank Lampard iPod."

:lol:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Snoops

• obsessive maniac
If I was Wenger I'd have screwed as much cash out of Barca as possible for him and spent it on three decent players. Much as I love Fabregas as a player, if he doesn't want to be there then he's not going to be at his best and will drag the team down.

Being a Gunner I'd agree with you.
However Barca are abit screwed financially, it was the outgoing president that bid 30 mill, nothing since then just talk. He hasn't hit his peak yet  and could and should have a price tag nearer 60 million, which it would appear Barca can;t afford.
 So it's not just a case of letting him go if he wants, it's getting the deserved fee.

So far that shows no sign of coming, hence he stays.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
You're right, I'd forgotten about that. They had to borrow some money to pay wages the other week didn't they.

Still, as things go with Barca and Real, I'm sure the cash will appear from somewhere soon......

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
Gold plated ipods with Frank's signature did not seem to impress the comments posters, on the whole.

'Lauritas' had this to say:
"..thinking about it, i hope they keep one gold plated laser-signed ipod and stick it up his arse, sideways, playing 'you'll never walk alone' on repeat..."
 :agree:

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
From Blue Moon (City's forum)

Mike Tyson

• forum hero
 :lol:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
That's quality but it does look like great news for Liverpool:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/aug/06/kenny-huang-liverpool-takeover

Dolly

• forum hero
Right, the season starts tomorrow for all us lower leagues lot.
After a crap summer (relegation to League 1, rubbish England in World Cup) I felt a tinge of excitement this morning as I thought about going to Hillsbro' again and the familiar match day routine.
I know its only the third division and I know (I can't believe I'm typing this) we've got Dagenham and Redbridge for our first fixture, but I'm looking forward to it .

Anyone else  going to any matches tomorrow ?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
You're such an optimist Dolly. I can't decide if it's admirable or worrying?!

Dolly

• forum hero
 ;D
Surely as a football fan you've got to be ? Otherwise there would never be any point in going to a match.
(Starts thinking as soon as he's typed that sentence)

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
It's good to see the Chinese bidding to free us of debt/tap into the Chinese market/invest in players.

Hopefully something good will come of it and we will not be left trailing for another year.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
I like the fact that they can cut Gilette & Hicks out of the equation without them making a penny. It's genius.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

Snoops

• obsessive maniac
Re Cesc:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/aug/06/cesc-fabregas-barcelona-pledge-future-arsenal

If that center half from Montpellier turns up, and we get a keeper who can catch, this could be our year :dance1:

And Van Persie's not even injured yet......

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
I just saw the photo of that not so loveable rogue one J Barton of Newcastle Utd sporting a dodgy tache and couldn't help but chuckle at the similarity to that other horrible bastard with a tache Begbie!

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
Should give this another punt as the season starts this weekend   ;) :bounce:

Roll up Roll up

Hope you have all enjoyed the World Cup but now it's time for the serious business of selecting your squad for Premier League Fantasy Football 2010/11  :thumbsup:

I've created a UK Bouldering league so please enter the code below to add your team;

18515-7216

:beer2:

p.s. the website for those who didn't enter last year:

http://fantasy.premierleague.com

tomtom

• forum hero
Well reminded Nai... just done it....
Come on you laggers theres only 12 in the league so far... we can do better than SPL...  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal