UKBouldering.com

Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread) (Read 1357791 times)

tomtom

• forum hero

benpritch

• forum abuser
i love the daily mash.

i had a similar thought (not quite so long winded) when neville pounced on rooney once - way too amorous.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Portsmouth reveal - we really are fucked.

It didn't take a genius to work out that administration wasn't going to save them.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
And here's the list of creditors.......and the "full story":

http://www.uhy-uk.com/media/news/PFC%20-%20Report%20to%20creditors%20Adobe%207.pdf

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
That is a fucking unbelievably bad financial position. There's no way the CVA will be agreed and I don't think the creditors will end up with much when the Company's liquidated.

:wave:

I didn't realise the players licences reverted to the league if the Company is liquidated. Is that right or are they just trying to threaten HMRC to agree the CVA I wonder?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
For those who don't want to wade through 70 pages of financial guff (i.e. everyone apart from me).......

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/apr/21/portsmouth-report-creditors

tomtom

• forum hero
Off to the home match against Villa tonight...  :bounce:

If they fuck us over I hope it happens fast (you know 0:2 in 15 min) then I can relax and enjoy wallowing in pity for the rest of the game - rather than bite my nails as we cling to a 0-0 or something...

Theres hope.. but theres more chance of Graeme giving me free entry to the Works than Hull staying up....

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
I dunno, West Ham are still shit enough to let you back in. I fear that goal difference could end up sinking you though.

tomtom

• forum hero
We're doomed I'm afraid.

We played well in the first half, but had effort but no application in the 2nd half. For the last 20 min the crowd were just bored. No chants, eeveryone sat down, just waiting for it all to end. Miracles against sunderland on Saturday and away at Wigan the week after may some how avert our fate but realistically...

Hello fizzy pop league. :wave:

At least us fans might find out what its like to win again there!

Phil Brown may have been an odd fucker, with some strange ways. But somehow, somehow he managed to get the same bunch of players to sometimes turn in some amazing performances. Dowie seems like a nice man but we're now punching at our weight instead of above it...

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Still, it could be worse:

http://635ao.th8.us/

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

Teaboy

• forum hero
How are the football authorities able to write rules on insolvancy that take precident over the law. I thought all creditors (except HMRC) were treated equally or can any private company nominate a type or group of creditors that are given preferential treatment in the event of that company going bust?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
I've never heard of anything like it outside of football and I was thinking the same thing myself. I supppose the point is that it's just part of the CVA that they are trying to get the creditors to agree to so they can put what they like in there. The creditors don't have to agree to it.

The rules about preferential creditors are those of the Premier League / Football League so Portsmouth are only trying to comply with them so that they can continue as a football club. A similar situation might be that a company who owes money to the governing body it needs to be registered with might ask the creditors to agree that that governing body be paid in full so that the company can continue to trade and thereby pay the x pence in the pound to the other creditors over time. However I don't know about the legality of this though as I'm not an insolvency practicioner (wish I was at £500+ p/h).

Sorry, that doesn't make that much sense but I know what I think I mean!

Personally I'd rather see the whole thing wound up as that way the millionaire players and agents would be in the same boat as the other creditors and get nothing. Pretty sure that's what will end up happening in the end anyway.

Teaboy

• forum hero

Personally I'd rather see the whole thing wound up as that way the millionaire players and agents would be in the same boat as the other creditors and get nothing. Pretty sure that's what will end up happening in the end anyway.

I agree although I guess the reason all creditors might agree to this is that if they can keep the club limping along they have a guarunteed revenue stream for three years from parachute payments which might help to pay back creditors. Mind you, given what's been seen so far they probably have long contracts with players for that period which would mean all that woud disappear anyway.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
Quite a nice request from pompey supporters that the club give cup final tickets to the smaller organisations that will lose out.  Just need the FA to agree they can auction them off  :-\

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/apr/23/portsmouth-premierleague

tomtom

• forum hero
Well off to the KC again on Saturday to watch Sunderland probably relegate us.....  :(
Ho hum... the bigger picture is the threat of administration. We're not as bad as Pompey (no where near) but the Chairman revealed in a fans forum that we're £34 million in debt, with £4 million owed to the taxman... if you do the maths...
£16-20m in parachute payments in... £40million wage bill out....
Mind you, we can sell Bullard & Zayette, Sonko will go back to stoke (we;ve been paying him £28k a week  on loan :o) , Geo is off to Greece, Boetangs deal will end, Altidore will go back to spain (or be sold by Villareal to someone else) so the wage bill will get significantly trimmed... seems like its nip and tuck....

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
Quite a nice request from pompey supporters that the club give cup final tickets to the smaller organisations that will lose out.  Just need the FA to agree they can auction them off  :-\

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/apr/23/portsmouth-premierleague

Really good plan that and good to see the administrator talking sense too. The Premier League really is a horrible organisation.

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
Well off to the KC again on Saturday to watch Sunderland probably relegate us.....  :(

Sorry.

Dr T

• forum hero
Fourth spot is till up for grabs...
not talking City/Spurs - UKB fantasy league of course
 ::)

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
And third spot too!

Gutted that Shay just got badly injured. It could have a massive impact on our chances to get that 4th place.  We'll rue those missed opportunities earlier in the season.

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
Can't believe I left Evra out this week after leaving nzogbia out last week, basically costing a loss of a combined 22 points  :wall:

Bad one for Shay too but hopefully City/Villa/Spurs can cancel each other out and the mighty Reds can sneak up on the rails from 7->4th!

tomtom

• forum hero

Sorry.

Thanks Graeme, but we thoroughly deserved to go down. The only reason we didnt last season is that there were 3 teams EVEN shitter than we were. As a game it was strangely entertaining. I think the tiger nation pretty much thought relegation was enevitable after wednesday... so when Bent snuck one in after 10 mins (after Sunderland had wasted two glorious opportunities thanks to out inept defence) the crowd just sat back, sang songs and watched it all unfold.

The penalty gave us some hope - but Bullards miss pretty much summed things up. He was pretty inept all game. He had an early heavy challenge (first min or so) and there after chickened out of pretty much every challenge. Not what is needed when you're dodging relegation. The crowd demanded commitment - and he didnt show it - and was slow. I suspect it was a mix of not being arsed and not being fit. Anyway... that aside Fraizer Cambell was routinely boo-ed & missed a sitter - which kept the home fans happy at least.

The second half was actually quite enterraining, and once Cairney came on for Bullard we started to play some nice attractive football for once. Except there was no threat because out of our 7 strikers they were either 1. Shit 2. Injured or 3. sent off! Lots of industry but no end product. Old fat face was sent to the crowd for winging too much  :) and there were comedy moments, like Mendy seeming to think he could take a free kick and pass it to himself and dribble towards goal.  :wall: Thankfully Mendy is one of our overpaid idiots who has a relegation pay clause..

And so the dream ends. It all felt quite dignified really, and strangely up-beat. There were no tears shed (that i saw), lots of chanting - the Sunderland fans applauded us for 5 min at the end, and we applauded them - I guess they know what it feels like too! There could be 6 or 7 yorkshire derbys next year... more games, less distance to travel for many of then away ones.. and we may get the chance to win some too! As one bloke near me said "I've been to every away game this season for the first time - and I've not seen them win"....

The club is in financial shit, but the owner (thankfully) does not seem keen on administration and the accompanying point deductions... (probably to save his £££'s) so hopefully we can get rid of some of the expensive well payed crap that have been playing for us over the last two seasons. Bullard and Hunt should get some £££ Geo's off, and hopefully we can dispense of Mendy, Ghilas, Halamosi and the other £20k a week also rans... Dowie seems like a decent enough chap - and rumour is that the players have really taken to him. Boetang (who can talk the leg off a donkey) has been very critical now of Brown, and has suggested that 'the' team talk really was the beginning of the rot. His contracts up now, so I suspect he'll go, which will be a shame as for me he's been the best player for the last 10 games or so...

:shrug:

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
We managed to bag a point at Newcastle yesterday in what sounded like an entertaining enough game. Pretty sure we are doomed to being in the bottom half of the table now but it is still a lot better than where we were for the first part of the season and our form in the second half of the season has been very good overall.

Here's looking to next year then - we have a defence that works most of the time but we need to grind results a out a lot more - too many dropped points this season as a result of last minute goals.

Midfield - Colback going back to Sunderland is going to be a blow - you have got a very good player there Graeme but if we can keep Norris fit then we should be OK - it's no coincidence that we have played a lot better since he came back from injury. 

Up front is where we have the biggest problems. While we have a decent looking, albeit young, striker in Connor Wickham but what we really need is someone who is going to bang in 15-20 a season if we are to get out of the division.

Anyway as long as Roy Keane is still there providing us with entertaining press conferences like this I will be happy enough.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal