UKBouldering.com

Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread) (Read 1358169 times)

moose

• forum hero
  • Lankenstein's Monster
  • el flaco lento
#875 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
January 09, 2010, 10:05:58 am
Does an incident in a disputed part of Angola has much relevance to South Africa?  That said, I'm pretty ambivalent about SA.  It could be a great spectacle and SA has hosted some fairly major events, on the other hand the infrastructure re hotels and transport etc looks potentially disasterous.  There are also worrying reports of pretty heartless goings on re evictions etc for people living in the redevelopment zones.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#876 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
January 09, 2010, 10:13:04 am
On a less important note, the FF league is fairly lean this weekend with Wigan Villa off. I've gone for tactical midfield substitution with Lee Bowyer to stick one past the rags.

I see I'm in the Cup like Jasper. Is anyone else?

Hope that City v Blackburn is on Monday, it'll be nice to see Patrick in his new shirt.

Norton Sharley

• forum hero
#877 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
January 09, 2010, 07:29:06 pm
Just cos I'm near the bottom of the league doesn't mean I'm out of the cup.  Yet.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#878 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
January 09, 2010, 07:34:28 pm
Tick.... Tock.....

The Rags scrape a draw at Birmingham with a controversial Birmingham own goal. Laden with debt and with an increasingly out of touch, red faced, half drunk manager and a totally unbalanced side of old geezers and young clueless glory seekers.

Tick Tock..... Tick Tock...... Tick Tock........

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#879 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
January 09, 2010, 08:59:54 pm
Gutted not to win in the end but that's now 1/3rd of a season undefeated so obviously happy with that.  Yet to see the goal as my stream dropped out.   

Pompey next week, bound to lose that after holding the top two to draws, it's the way Blues do things.

tomtom

• forum hero
#880 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
January 10, 2010, 06:58:42 pm
Gutted not to win in the end but that's now 1/3rd of a season undefeated so obviously happy with that.  Yet to see the goal as my stream dropped out.   

Pompey next week, bound to lose that after holding the top two to draws, it's the way Blues do things.

A good result none the less! Great to see ol' red face getting worked up at the end  :)

aLICErOBERTSfANkLUB

• forum hero
  • Bucket Heid Man!
    • Comic Sans is Illegal!
#881 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
January 10, 2010, 07:18:01 pm
Does an incident in a disputed part of Angola has much relevance to South Africa?  That said, I'm pretty ambivalent about SA.  It could be a great spectacle and SA has hosted some fairly major events, on the other hand the infrastructure re hotels and transport etc looks potentially disasterous.  There are also worrying reports of pretty heartless goings on re evictions etc for people living in the redevelopment zones.

None whatsoever.

Cabinda is an oil-rich exclave of Angola which has an active separatist movement in it (FLEC)

One of its former leading lights is now a member of the Anolgan government - this was intended to stop the civil war.

It's very, very unlikely that FLEC could operate effectively outside Cabinda, and, if there were any other security issues - then there's no reason to assume South Africans couldn't deal with it. (They host test matches - and there's a lot of animosity against the British, and there's issues with cricket teams having been attacked on the sub-continent. It hasn't happened in the RSA)

However, a "resepected name within football" thinks it is.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/hullcity/6957035/2010-World-Cup-question-marks-after-Togo-attack-says-Hulls-Phil-Brown.html

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#882 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
January 10, 2010, 07:47:06 pm
A good result none the less! Great to see ol' red face getting worked up at the end  :)

Yeah happy with the result really and you know you're doing something right when you see him getting so agitated, he does seem to have lost the plot, more ranting about added time and referees.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

grumpycrumpy

• junky
  • metrosexual redneck
#885 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
January 14, 2010, 07:42:23 am
A bit of good news to brighten your day.
There's nowt like a bit of schadenfreude , and I cheered along with the rest of the country when Man U were beaten by Leeds , but you've got to draw the line when you read that one of the world's greatest clubs ( sad , but true )  is being bled dry by a family of septic assholes  .... 

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#886 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
January 14, 2010, 09:43:26 am
Ha ha ha ha ha!!! Draw the line?!  :shrug:

I don't draw the line anywhere with The Scum. I sincerely hope it all goes completely tits and they end up just like Leeds (or worse).  It will be hilarious to see all the glory seekers shifting their allegiance to City.
 ;)

I wonder if Redface will jump ship before the shit hits the fan.............

grumpycrumpy

• junky
  • metrosexual redneck
#887 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
January 14, 2010, 12:55:26 pm
Ha ha ha ha ha!!! Draw the line?!  :shrug:

I don't draw the line anywhere with The Scum. I sincerely hope it all goes completely tits and they end up just like Leeds (or worse).  It will be hilarious to see all the glory seekers shifting their allegiance to City.
 ;)

I wonder if Redface will jump ship before the shit hits the fan.............
You're a harsh man ......  :bow:

tomtom

• forum hero
#888 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
January 15, 2010, 10:34:45 am
Wow, been away two days and loads of shit happening...

Paul Hart has been fired/left QPR after only 5 games  :o. God knows what the hoops fans must think with all the shit going on there...

Pompey look doomed - not getting the EPL money and a continued transfer ban... I think we may see them as the first EPL club to face administration.   :(

RafaRafa looks more and more like a dead man walking - and theres even rumours that MUFC may be in tricky financial waters....

I pulled this list from a HCAFC web site - following debate about ownership - Interesting!
Tom

Ownership

Chelsea - Roman Abramovich (Russian Billionaire)
Arsenal - Arsenal Holdings plc/Kronke (Billionaire)
Man City - Sheikh Mansour (U.A.E Billionaire)
Aston Villa - Randy Lerner (U.S Billionaire)
Manchester United - Malcolm Glazer (U.S Billionaire)
Liverpool - Tom Hicks & George Gillet (U.S Billionaire's)
Birmingham City - Carson Yeung (Hong Kong Billionaire)
Fulham - Mohammed Al Fayed (U.K Multi Millionaire)
Tottenham - ENIC International/Levy (Multi Millionaire company/U.K chairman)
West Ham - Icelandic CB Holding (A Bank)
Everton (Chairman Bill Kenwright (U.K Millionaire) owns 25% of the club with other Executive (U.K Millionaires) taking up large chunks of the clubs shares)
Sunderland - Ellis Short (U.S Billionaire)
Blackburn - The Trustees of the Jack Walker 1987 Settlement, a Jersey trust (Finacially secure)
Wigan Athletic - Dave Whelan (U.K Multi Millionaire)
Wolves - Steve Morgan (U.K Multi Millionaire)
Stoke City - Peter Coates (U.K Multi Milionaire)
Bolton - Eddie Davies (U.K Millionaire)
Hull City - Russell Bartlett (U.K Millionaire)
Portsmouth - Falcondrone Limited (Unknown)
Burnley - Barry Kilby (U.K Millionaire)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#889 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
January 15, 2010, 10:47:49 am
Rafa would have been sacked by now if Liverpool could afford it.

tomtom

• forum hero
#890 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
January 15, 2010, 10:50:21 am
Rafa would have been sacked by now if Liverpool could afford it.

There isnt a smirking whilst trying to contain a cackle of laughter emoticon..

Possibly this combination would work...   :boohoo: ;D

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#891 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
January 15, 2010, 11:03:10 am
I bear no malice against the CheekychappybringourMaddiebackscousegriefmerchants and I like Rafa but he's dug his own grave. Some Most of his signings have been fucking shit and that's why they keep losing football matches.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#892 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
January 15, 2010, 11:11:02 am
On R5 last night there was a football finances "expert".  He reckoned Rafa's remaining contract to be worth about £16m, of which at least £10m he would forfeit if he took another job. 

But failure to qualify for the champions league would cost more.  E.g. ManU made £36m last season and Liverpool made £23m just making the quarters  (apparently Bayern made £34m last season reaching the quarters while barca only made £31 despite winning it).

Add in the fact that failure to qualify for the CL may prompt the star players to leave and they really could be scoobied and heading for mid-table obscurity.

now what was it again,  ;D :lol: :dance1:  :thumbsup: .   :boohoo:  ;D

tomtom

• forum hero
#893 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
January 15, 2010, 11:40:44 am
ooch... thats a big hit. Theres some CBA to be done there on whether or not to get rid...
I noticed Hiddink circling suggesting he might like to manage there in todays press....

Blackburn were woefull on the telly last night... Blackburn, Stoke and Bolton are three sides who play very negative football and it wouldnt surprise me to see if 1 or2 of those go down this season. It'll also be intersting to see how Burnley do Coyle-less... They're defence was cack (but effective) when we played them - so I wonder how a managed who doesnt know them and may not organise them as well will perform...
I hope they go down instead of us - but hope they dont go down (if that makes sense) as unlike the three I mentioned above at least Burnley try and play football.
T

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#894 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
January 15, 2010, 11:47:50 am
So when they sack Rafa and still finish 5th it'll bankrupt them?

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
#895 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
January 15, 2010, 11:53:57 am
So when they sack Rafa and still finish 5th it'll bankrupt them?

Let's hope so! Rafa's reign is like watching the ghost of Houllier past. Awesome.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#896 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
January 15, 2010, 11:56:06 am
Saw Stoke against Fulham the other week, they really worked hard and if they continue playing like that they'll be ok.  Liverpool on Saturday without their best players and seemingly any fight or spirit.  Stoke only 5/2 which tells a story.
Blackburn were woeful last night and they'll be down there.
Bolton under Coyle should be better organised and may pull themselves out of it
Burnley players must wonder what's gone on, Coyle leaves for a club below them then they appoint a championship manager to replace him, can't bode well.
Plenty of teams in there still, Wigan, wolves, west ham, any of them lose a key player during the window or to injury and they could be stuffed.
interesting times at both ends ths season

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#897 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
January 15, 2010, 12:01:34 pm
Are the Premier League rules the same as The Football League with regard to administration and point deductions?

tomtom

• forum hero
#898 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
January 15, 2010, 12:04:59 pm
Indeedy, and who would have thought that Brum have a good chance of getting a European spot in their first season back in the EPL!!
The only team that seem to have some stability (even though they've not been at their best) is chelsea... I still think its theirs to loose...
T

tomtom

• forum hero
#899 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
January 15, 2010, 12:06:13 pm
Are the Premier League rules the same as The Football League with regard to administration and point deductions?

I think so - 15 point deduction. So I wouldnt be surprised to see Pompey do this before the end if its nailed on for relegation anyway,,..

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal