UKBouldering.com

Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread) (Read 1357791 times)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#825 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 21, 2009, 02:14:57 pm
Cumulative points scored so far on Fantasy Premier League by four strikers who (if you believe the papers) have a chance of making the World Cup squad:

Dr T

• forum hero
#826 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 21, 2009, 04:01:18 pm

Yup all over ESP&N - Mark Huges sacked and Mancini on a 3 1/2 year contract..

bets on it being a 1/2 year contract when they fail to finish in the top 4??

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#827 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 21, 2009, 04:07:57 pm
It sounds as if Hughes was treated pretty shoddily. The agreement being that he would achieve a top six finish this year (which he was on track for) but the goalposts then being moved.

Mancini is a strange choice. Obviously an amazing player and with a decent managerial record but untried in the Premiership. If they weren't going to go for an A list manager like Hiddink then why get rid of Hughes?

Perhaps, as ever, there is more to it than meets the eye.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#828 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 21, 2009, 04:15:39 pm

Mancini is a strange choice. Obviously an amazing player and with a decent managerial record but untried in the Premiership.

Produced some memorable tunes as well?

Dr T

• forum hero
#829 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 21, 2009, 04:24:30 pm
It sounds as if Hughes was treated pretty shoddily. The agreement being that he would achieve a top six finish this year (which he was on track for) but the goalposts then being moved.
agreed - but the point is he was never the oil money's choice of manager, with the "glamour" of the board's signings like Robinho and Barndoor you can see how an Italian might have more appeal than a Welshman..
Mancini is a strange choice. Obviously an amazing player and with a decent managerial record but untried in the Premiership. If they weren't going to go for an A list manager like Hiddink then why get rid of Hughes?
Word on 5live was that he was very maliable to the president's wishes when at Inter...

Anyways the board will be trying (and failing) to appoint Prof Wenger again in the summer (they're not having him btw) - when that fails then they'll be the special one or Hiddink again

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#830 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 21, 2009, 05:17:31 pm
Unusually, Gary Cook has released a statement to clarify events around Hughes' sacking and Mancini's appointment.

For what it's worth. You've got to move on and we should now be 100% behind Mancini and as for no previous prem experience,... what about Wenger, the special one, Grant, Jol etc.?

Bring on Stoke on Boxing Day.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#831 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 22, 2009, 01:35:24 pm

Six points would be nice for Christmas (v Orient and Wycombe).  :please:

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#832 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 22, 2009, 01:46:30 pm
They're both struggling too aren't they, could be possible.

We're home to chelsea and away at stoke, I'd take two if they were one offer right now.

tomtom

• forum hero
#833 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 22, 2009, 01:59:47 pm
ManU Home,
Bolton Away
Chelsea Home,
Spurs Away
ManU Away..

We need to win at Bolton or we could take nothing from those five...
I shall confidently predict we will be in the relegation spots by mid january...

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#834 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 22, 2009, 02:11:59 pm
That's a rough sequence, I thought our run was bad enough.  After Chelsea and Stoke our next three are ManU (h), Portsmouth (a), Chelsea (a).  The Portsmouth and Chelsea games are just after the ACON has started so they'll both be depleted.  I'm not expecting too many points but we do at least have a cushion after our recent form.

Are you going to any of them?

tomtom

• forum hero
#835 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 22, 2009, 02:47:43 pm
That's a rough sequence, I thought our run was bad enough.  After Chelsea and Stoke our next three are ManU (h), Portsmouth (a), Chelsea (a).  The Portsmouth and Chelsea games are just after the ACON has started so they'll both be depleted.  I'm not expecting too many points but we do at least have a cushion after our recent form.

Are you going to any of them?

Yup its a tough run - we could sneak the odd point here and there but realistically its about not getting fucked over too many times so we loose what confidence we've built up recently..

I'm off to a couple of games - but they moved ManU on boxing day to the 27th so I now cant make it (grr.. I was going to take my dad across to see it but will now be en-route to the outlaws..)

But am going to Chelski at Home (that was scary last year - only 0:3 shuold have been more)

And have procured some tickets for ManU - Hull from a ManU seasonticket holder friend... though I may try and get some away end tickets as its much more of a hoot.. we've also got Wigan at home on the 2nd but thats only the FA cup (sad to say that, but survival is the name of the game again..)

We've looked much more settled of late (despite the 3:0's from villa and arsenal) and are stronger and playing a bit better than last year - but missing Sir Jimbo..

Brum are doing well at the moment - Bowyers found some form in front of goal which has done you many favours, and with a couple of wins you seem to have found some confidence...

ACON only really hits us with Olifinjana (a player who is actually quite good and becoming a fans favourite - despite the fact whenever he is on the ball the laws of physics are bent and time slows down to a crawl... either that or he's slow..).. Pompey could be fucked by the ACON  - they loose 4 or 5 I think, and if the transfer ban is kept over them that could mean real trouble...

You managed to get a pass out to any of the games?

Dr T

• forum hero
#836 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 23, 2009, 09:02:24 pm
Premier manager having some extra-curricular fun  :shag: :spank:
I suppose asking for guesses would be libellous  ;D

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#837 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 23, 2009, 09:12:14 pm

I suppose asking for guesses would be libellous  ;D

Yep, any threads started on footy forums seem to be locked, probably loads deleted too.  Intriguing though isn't it?

Dr T

• forum hero
#838 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 23, 2009, 09:20:07 pm
I'll keep my mouth shut then - maybe the moderators should remove the link....

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#839 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 24, 2009, 08:51:39 am
That article is hilarious. Serious investigative journalism to prove it was a brothel there. "Is that for full sex?" etc.  :lol:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#840 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 24, 2009, 08:55:59 am
Well the top of the FF table is too close to call. Hope the fixtures over xmas aren't too affected by the weather. The Wigan Bolton game getting called off cost me the chance of a few extra points which could make all the difference the way things are going.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#841 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 24, 2009, 09:14:09 am
I've been staring at my team all week, I have two subs available but just can't decide what to do.  I guess anticipating what macthes might get postponed is a good tictac.  I might be takling this too seriously  :-\

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#842 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 24, 2009, 09:38:58 am
I can't be bothered to be that in depth!

Just realised there's a cup competition too and my team's through to the second round. A bit of a lottery by the looks of things!

tomtom

• forum hero
#843 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 24, 2009, 09:55:11 am
Best of luck for everyones seasonal fixtures (unless you're a manu fan in which case I hope the Black and Ambers cause an upset on 27th..) its looking like an interesting new year for ManCity and Brum (7th in league!)
T

Dr T

• forum hero
#844 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 24, 2009, 10:40:42 am
with the Hughes affair, big compensations payments when managers move (transfer fees?) etc - is it time to (re)consider a transfer window for managers?

tomtom

• forum hero
#845 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 24, 2009, 11:01:34 am
with the Hughes affair, big compensations payments when managers move (transfer fees?) etc - is it time to (re)consider a transfer window for managers?

Why? its not working for players and shuold be scrapped.. all the managers seem to agree on this one  - its great for the media but terrible for the clubs. Agents etc.. have them over a barrel until just before the window closes...

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#846 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 24, 2009, 11:42:32 am
As Sir Harold of Redknapp said on Five Live last weekend, you've got more and more obscenely rich people taking over Premiership clubs and expecting to win things straight away which obviously can't happen.

This means that more managers will be put in a position where the achievements expected of them over a very short period of time are at best very difficult and in a lot of cases impossible and this means that more of them will get the chop.

To be honest, although Hughes was treated pretty shoddily I'll not shed too many tears for him as he counts his money. Hundreds of thousands of people have lost their jobs this year and the majority didn't get a few million quid to cushion the blow.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#847 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 29, 2009, 01:21:45 pm
Well, having watched the Blues play Stoke and Wolves since Boxing Day I can only conclude our new boy(s) in charge have certainly made a big impression on the team. Two clean sheets, an away win and the squad playing some of the best football I've ever seen from City.  He's inherited a good side but blimey you can see the difference between him and Hughes.

- Used all three subs in both games.
- Changed the whole formation at least three times in both games.
- Great defending against set pieces with a mix of zonal and man marking.  Two defenders on each post at corners (about f*cking time!).

Can't wait until next Wednesday when the Reds come to visit COMS.. my ticket is burning a hole in my pocket.

Forza City!

(The UKB FF league is shaping up too with a bit of compression at the top over the last few days...)

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#848 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 30, 2009, 02:00:42 pm
Portsmouth are to be wound up by HMRC.

Dr T

• forum hero
#849 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 30, 2009, 02:31:37 pm
and Megsons been fired - interesting day...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal