UKBouldering.com

Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread) (Read 1357817 times)

Dolly

• forum hero
#775 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 09, 2009, 02:08:04 pm
level on points with Sheffield Wednesday now but we have got a tough game away to Blackpool at the weekend.

Apparently we (Wednesday) were slightly better last night but we seem to be in freefall atm.
I can't understand how we can play a fast passing game only 6 weeks ago to being a team of long hoofing numpties now.
I don't think its going to get any better this weekend as we're away to Leicester

tomtom

• forum hero

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#777 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 09, 2009, 05:40:39 pm

Apparently we (Wednesday) were slightly better last night but we seem to be in freefall atm.
I can't understand how we can play a fast passing game only 6 weeks ago to being a team of long hoofing numpties now.
I don't think its going to get any better this weekend as we're away to Leicester

Injuries affecting things or is it just a team that is feeling the pressure after losing a couple of games and thereby resorting to the long ball to just get the ball away from their end of the pitch as a first concern?

Just seen the stats for the Ipswich game last night and we had 19 attempts on goal and managed to score a big fat none (though we did have one disallowed for a non foul (allegedly)). I really don't know whether to feel happy that we finally seem to have a defence worthy of mention after years of bemoaning the fact that we always conceded too many soft goals or depressed that we always used to have a team that could score goals and now can't.  :-\

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#778 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 10, 2009, 10:27:14 am
Following a discussion with cofe on Twitter, where do people stand on the "Owen for England" discussion?

For me, he still hasn't done nearly enough to deserve a place in the World Cup. He's been pretty shite for a few years now and now just cos he's scored a hat-trick against a not very good side he's now being touted as the answer to our prayers. It's only cos he's playing for The Scum I reckon. The trouble is, Owen's lost the one thing that made him world class which was his pace.

If we're taking five strikers mine would be Rooney, Bent, Crouch, Defoe and Zamora. Of course if Owen gets a run in the first team and starts banging in loads of goals (I hope not) then this opinion may change but at the moment, I wouldn't take him.

Speaking of Bent, this is a good stat from @optajoe (who is well worth following).

Since August 2005, Darren Bent has scored 57 Premier League goals, only Ronaldo (75) and Rooney (61) have netted more

Plattsy

• forum hero
#779 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 10, 2009, 10:36:47 am
I'd rather take Walcott as a striker/wing option than Zamora.

cofe

• forum hero
#780 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 10, 2009, 10:40:52 am
I think I'd rather have Owen on the bench than Bent, Crouch or Defoe - he is proven at shitlining when the pressure is on. Thankfully I think Cappello will only take people who are fit and on form - who that will be come June is anyone's guess, and I really am not that fussed. I am psyched out of my TINY mind for the world cup though. 

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#781 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 10, 2009, 11:58:10 am
I'd rather take Walcott as a striker/wing option than Zamora.

If he's fit then I'd definitely take Walcott but he's only easing himself back into the first team at the moment.

As you say though. Versatility is key and we will need a few players who can play more than one position to cover the inevitable injuries / suspensions.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#782 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 10, 2009, 12:34:45 pm
Owen's still not done enough and I think the more the press keep the "Owen sends message to Capello" shit up every time he scores in the League Cup or against poorer CL opposition the less inclined Capello may be to bow.  I'd love him to be there but can't see it unless he starts netting regularly in the Premier League.

For me it'd be Rooney, Defoe, Crouch and I think Carlton Cole's done well in his England appearances so I'd take him rather than Heskey because he can score as well as do the muscley hold-the-ball-up stuff.  I'd like to see more of Bent for England though, he didn't do so well against Brazil but half the team were missing so it's hard to tell.  Not sure i'd want five dedicated strikers so Walcott who could fit in on the right as well would go.

But as Cofe says, depends who's fit and on fire, hopefully Walcott, Joe Cole, Hargreaves all come good at the right time and Roooooooooney avoids doing a metatarsal.

tomtom

• forum hero
#783 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 10, 2009, 12:39:46 pm
Owen still 5-6 months to show his worth... In his favour he does have bags of international experience - which may be really important on such a huge stage. THats the problem with Bent for me (and Defoe a wee bit) that he just seems to bottle it - looks way out of his comfort zone when playing internationals...
When whichever striker is picked is bursting through on goal we want one that will calmly slot the ball home rather than think 'fuck I'm about to score in the world cup'!

PS - Nai good to meet you the other day - good job on Zippys!

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#784 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 10, 2009, 12:59:45 pm

When whichever striker is picked is bursting through on goal we want one that will calmly slot the ball home rather than think 'fuck I'm about to score the winning goal in the world cup final'!

PS - Nai good to meet you the other day - good job on Zippys!

So not Heskey then? 

Good to meet you too, skin's nearly healed now so happy to get out again when it's next half decent.

tomtom

• forum hero
#785 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 10, 2009, 01:08:17 pm
I really dont know about Hesky. he's one of those players who never look like they're not doing much but seem important to the teams operation. Plenty of astute managers have played/picked him. I wish we had a Sherringham character - some one gnarly, seen it all before who's not phased and just plays the clever ball. Is that Hesky? Not really sure...

Of course we can just look for all the goals coming from midfield!

Lampard, Gerrard, Cole and the rest... That strategy worked for Mourinho at Chelsea (though presently fails miserably for P Brown  ;D )

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#786 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 10, 2009, 02:00:54 pm
Heskey plays the "get in the way and win the ball occasionally" role very well (when he's not falling over) but it would be nice to play with two strikers who are both actually capable of scoring a few goals.

Let's be honest though, all the permutations and possibilities are based on who plays with Rooney and we've just got to pray to the flying teapot that he stays fit.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#787 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 10, 2009, 02:13:24 pm
Spot on and Rooney appears to like playing with Heskey so that could tip the balance in his favour.
Maybe all these players currently injured or not getting regular matches will be a good thing and come June we'll have a squad of fit, rested players peaking at just the right time and ready to tear it up.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#788 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 10, 2009, 02:56:17 pm
It would make a nice change! Keep praying.

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#790 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 12, 2009, 10:17:23 am
Sorry to see Brighton got beat last night Jasper.

There's some good games on today, I'm hoping that City continue their winning ways away at Bolton and if results go our way we might be knocking on fourth place by 8pm after Villa have played Utd.  That said, I'd like to see Villa do the rags and Totteham aren't likely to draw or lose against Wolves.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#791 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 12, 2009, 02:24:44 pm

:furious:

I think Poyet will be shopping for s defender or two (probably on loan) next month.

butters

• forum hero
  • Natural Born Punter
  • Everything's a grade harder hauling these 'burns!!
    • blog of butters
#792 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 13, 2009, 12:11:03 pm
Finally the mighty tractor boys are out of the bottom three following a fine 3-1 win over Blackpool - about time as that's 10 games unbeaten now!

Dr T

• forum hero
#793 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 13, 2009, 03:26:02 pm

:furious:

I think Poyet will be shopping for s defender or two (probably on loan) next month.

won't be suprised to see an Arsenal teenager going for a holiday by the seaside for a few months...

Dr T

• forum hero
#794 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 13, 2009, 06:14:44 pm
Will have to do the ironing every match day afternoon if it means we win matches like todays
 :dance1: for the win  :'( for the ironing

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#795 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 15, 2009, 03:20:44 pm
It gets worse for Notts County supprters.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#796 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 15, 2009, 03:30:18 pm
Yep, and their manager's left http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/dec/15/hans-backe-notts-county-sven

Bad for Pompey too, their transfer emabargo remains and they'll lose six players to the African Cup of Nations in January

BBC Sport - Football - Premier League set for African Cup of Nations exodus

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!

GraemeA

• forum hero
  • FTM
    • The Works, it's the Bollocks
#798 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 16, 2009, 04:01:07 pm
Sheffield and Sunderland are part of the bid. Get in. Now all we have to do is win the bid.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/8414235.stm

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#799 Re: Balls to Fiend (The Football Thread)
December 16, 2009, 04:02:29 pm
Now all we have to do is win the bid.

[size=8]DOH![/size]  :wall:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal