UKBouldering.com

Random Thoughts from a Roadie Noob (Read 3589 times)

Peanuts

• player
Random Thoughts from a Roadie Noob
May 29, 2009, 03:39:25 pm

OK having a bit of a climbing nightmare year so far, which I have put down to being too old, weak,fat etc  and a host of other excuses time, work, family etc etc etc. So having read the two wheel spiel with increasing amusement and not a little interest I have decided to take the plunge and get me one of them thar Roadies in the vain hope that a bit of aerobic fitness will help my climbing. 

Consequently I am now the proud owner of one of these purdy li'l ladies courtesy of the 'cycle to work' scheme which, ironically, is the one place I wont be taking her  ;)

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/product-images-large/bianchi-via-nirone-7-alu-xenonsp-mix-compact-45450.jpg

I believe 'entry level' is the term that applies but she sure looks good to me even after a whole week !

I have a number of random observations / questions for those that know better.

I am beginning to realise just how unfit I was/am  :(

There are a shit load of hills surrounding Sheffield.

Headwinds are the spawn of satan and headwinds when riding uphill are the spawn of the spawn of satan, conversely tailwinds are mannor from heaven and tailwinds when riding up hill etc etc

All roads look flat from inside a car.

Riding time is limited not by the exhaustion of the leg muscles but by the pain in the arse. Please tell me that you get used to sitting on these instruments of torture.

I am looking for suggestions for good shortish rides as my knowledge is restricted to crag locations, you know the sort of thing Sheffield, gardoms, curbar, froggat, Sheffield or Sheffield burbage, stanage, higgar, millstone, Sheffield - not showing too much imagination at the moment.

Could someone please reccommend a decent small pump as all my mountain bike pumps are either small and useless or too large to fit in a 50cm frame.

What do you eat/drink whilst riding ? bearing in mind that two hours on that saddle is about my limit at the moment.

Fourteen minutes for froggat hill, but how many hours ? half the information is useless  8)

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
Stick with it, it'll grow on you.

I've got a Bianchi too, but an old one.

I carry a Topeak Micro Rocket pump, fits in the pocket and does the job. I have had to use it in anger a couple of times and its OK.

And yes, your arse will get as conditioned as your legs, but good (read expensive) shorts are vital. Some swear by Chamois cream, but I've never used it so they might just be perverts.

Routeswise from Sheffield how about Ringinglow to Hathersage to Edale up to Mam Nick down Winnats, up through Bradwell down to Calver and up a hill of your choice to Sheffield.

A few other routes of mine on www.bikely.com if you search for tlr, but they are more than 2 hours I think.

For a 2 hour ride I'd probably have one bottle of SIS type stuff and maybe a gel or 2.

Hope some of this helps.

Oh, and visit http://www.labicicleta.co.uk/, Butterworths, Langsett or 18 Bikes before JE James for stuff if you can as they are much better shops in most peoples opinion.

erm, sam

• forum hero
#2 Re: Random Thoughts from a Roadie Noob
June 01, 2009, 09:04:08 pm
Some saddles are notably more comfortable that others, so don't suffer too much, before you try a few different ones. Eg your arse shouldn't be hurting after 10-20 km...

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#3 Re: Random Thoughts from a Roadie Noob
June 03, 2009, 11:12:31 pm
Full props to TLR, the lad knows his stuff.

Get that cream for yr bum asap, it's essential. I may be pervert, but in this instance I'm not, I too am in essance a roadie punter.. It's well good.

Also, as iterated to me my many on here: starting to ride on the road In sheff.. Is a hard learning curve, will hold you in good stead. Don't stop.. It's good! Honest!

Peanuts

• player
#4 Re: Random Thoughts from a Roadie Noob
June 05, 2009, 11:21:27 am
Nice to know that is 'normal' to 'suffer' !  I think perseverance is helping with the leg conditioning (not to mention the arse). I am trying to get out on the bike every two or three days just to get my body used to the idea and am (very) gently upping the pace/effort, but am still pitifully slow at times and occasionally looking for an extra (nonexistent) cog to change down into for those grinding hills.

I have progressed from the gritstone crags as route markers to the limestone dales (but only just) so am venturing a little further afield.

A quick question about bike maintenance, because the bike was bought through the C2W scheme and our 'preferred partners' (ha!) are J.E.James the initial servicing will be done by them  :( As you might expect with a new bike, the gear indexing is already seriously screwed and I don't feel confident enough to sort it out myself yet. Is there the equivalent of the ladybird book of bike maintenance that any one could recommend for a simpleton and where should I be taking the bike for a full service in the future ?

Thanks for the support and advice.

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
#5 Re: Random Thoughts from a Roadie Noob
June 05, 2009, 12:10:05 pm
As with everything, there is plenty of info on the interweb. Search for 'campagnolo gear indexing' or similar (I assume you have Campag on a Bianchi?).

http://www.bikecyclingreviews.com/adjust_rear_gear_html.html seems straight forward as any.

To be honest I'll probably be around at home all weekend in Sheffield with fuck all to do in the rain, so you are very welcome to pop round with it some time - having a garage and a workstand helps a lot with bike maintenance.

I'll pm you my mobile number.

Theres nothing too hard about bike maintenance if you have the tools. The only things I've taken a bike to a shop for were BB facing and headset fitting.

fatkid2000

• junky
#6 Re: Random Thoughts from a Roadie Noob
June 05, 2009, 12:17:00 pm
Don't take it to James's it'll get lost or return to you not working plus I've heard they have a 3 week wait for their work shop.

If you want it services la bicicletta on greystones road is the place.

If it's simple stuff look at park tools website.

Most stuff us pretty easy with the right tools apart from the stuff tir mentions.

SteveM

• stalker
  • I feel the need for speed
    • bad-altitude
#7 Re: Random Thoughts from a Roadie Noob
June 05, 2009, 12:32:17 pm
A second vote for Alex at La Bicelletta (sp?) - he's been getting thorugh a fair volume of servicing recently though so might be worth giving him a bell to check that he's got space & time for your bike.

And assos chamois cream is the dog's bollox, I have seen the light in the past couple of months since I switched to commuting and training on my road bike instead of the mtb. Much more comfortable on the nether regions. As well as your saddle, have a look at the shorts you're wearing. Any creasing or folding in the chamois creates chafing - the biggest thickest pad is not always the best.

SteveM

• stalker
  • I feel the need for speed
    • bad-altitude
#8 Re: Random Thoughts from a Roadie Noob
June 05, 2009, 12:34:10 pm
Oh, and don't worry about your first time on Froggatt Hill. It seems a lot shorter when you go back to it for a second time. And faster  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal