UKBouldering.com

Eastern Edges Today (Read 803127 times)

Dingdong

• forum abuser
#2825 Re: Eastern Edges Today
January 06, 2024, 08:32:56 am
I live 5 mins from rivelin, my road is already drying in patches and the curb is fully dry, I’ve no doubt stuff will be dry later on at the more exposed crags.

stone

• forum abuser
#2826 Re: Eastern Edges Today
January 06, 2024, 09:03:19 am
Thanks Dingdong!

mark20

• junky
#2827 Re: Eastern Edges Today
January 06, 2024, 11:56:40 am
Plenty of dry rock at Rowtor , but warm in the sun with no wind

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#2828 Re: Eastern Edges Today
January 06, 2024, 06:02:52 pm
Good at Froggatt, some big wet streaks on great slab though. Raining persistently on the drive back…

stone

• forum abuser
#2829 Re: Eastern Edges Today
January 06, 2024, 06:35:01 pm
I was full of honourable intentions to go to Burbage but when I got there at 10:15, there were no parking spots left. Is that unusual? Do people go earlier specifically to catch a parking spot?

I went to Apparent North instead, which was great. Too warm for conditions connoisseurs, but very nice.

remus

• forum hero
#2830 Re: Eastern Edges Today
January 06, 2024, 07:07:55 pm
Parking at Burbage is a shit show on any weekend with half decent weather.

spidermonkey09

• forum hero
#2831 Re: Eastern Edges Today
January 06, 2024, 07:11:47 pm
I was full of honourable intentions to go to Burbage but when I got there at 10:15, there were no parking spots left. Is that unusual? Do people go earlier specifically to catch a parking spot?

I went to Apparent North instead, which was great. Too warm for conditions connoisseurs, but very nice.

When did you last try to go to Burbage Stone?! I reckon Its been like that since I started climbing in 2011!

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#2832 Re: Eastern Edges Today
January 06, 2024, 07:59:01 pm
I think Burbage has got busier since COVID. It's great to see more people out in the country. But they don't tend to venture far or pay for parking so plantation never been full to my knowledge.

If the PDNP does implement charges for burbage and popular parking then that may help reduce visitors. Which is surely the aim of any national park  :slap:

stone

• forum abuser
#2833 Re: Eastern Edges Today
January 06, 2024, 08:54:32 pm
When did you last try to go to Burbage Stone?! I reckon Its been like that since I started climbing in 2011!

In the past I've been really really  bad about not going to Burbage. Consequently I've still got loads of vaguely plausible stuff there to do/try. Turning over a new leaf, I went three times at the end on Nov, early Dec 2023. I think one of those was on a Saturday and the other two were midweek. The parking was fairly full but not totally full and I think I was a bit later than today. Perhaps people go for a morning walk and leave by lunch so 10:30 was a particularly bad time today?

How do people climb at Burbage then? Do you turn up much earlier and go for a walk if stuff needs a while to dry? Or turn up briefly for the last couple of hours of light? Or just hope to be lucky with parking?

If the PDNP does implement charges for burbage and popular parking then that may help reduce visitors. Which is surely the aim of any national park  :slap:
I thought the Burbage and Stanage Popular-end Parking was already needing payment? I bought one of those annual passes in Nov. I use it for Cheedale too though.
It's so rubbish that the response is to put in parking charges rather than improving busses or whatever.

sirlockoff

• regular
  • god's own rock
  • @sirlockoff
    • Peak district bouldering sends
#2834 Re: Eastern Edges Today
January 06, 2024, 09:14:25 pm
you can usually always park somewhere at burbage for free (inc today - drove past there), at the verges, or wait people to leave, I generally avoid the paid parking, that said burbage usually indeed is quite full on the weekends, so I avoid it full stop, few minutes more and you will be in plantation, much less traffic there.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#2835 Re: Eastern Edges Today
January 06, 2024, 10:29:50 pm
If the bridge area parking is rammed i park up by the cattle grid towards Higgar and walk back across the top of burbage west. Only adds five minutes to the walk in and you can go to west on the way back.
Very rare you can’t get a spot on a weekday though. Blue sky Saturday mornings not so much.

SamT

• forum hero
#2836 Re: Eastern Edges Today
January 07, 2024, 08:41:24 am
Looking a bit dank in west Sheffield this am with overnight drizzle showing on the rainfall radar.  :( should have gone out yesterday afternoon.

SamT

• forum hero
#2837 Re: Eastern Edges Today
January 13, 2024, 10:25:48 pm
Looking ahead to the morning.. any conditions reports from dusk this evening?

Froggatt woods was muted as a venue for the morning but wondered if that could be holding on to any dampness  :-\

nik at work

• forum hero
#2838 Re: Eastern Edges Today
January 14, 2024, 12:05:53 am
I was at Burbage late morning, open rock in the sun was dry but shady faces were damp or wet.
This afternoon has been cloudier and more overcast and I think there’s probably mist floating about tonight so I’d suspect you’d be best aiming for open faces that catch any beeeze/sun going tomorrow.
Hardly a definitive evening conditions report but the best I can do I’m afraid.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#2839 Re: Eastern Edges Today
January 14, 2024, 12:43:19 am
What Nik said

I would expect the woods to be damp

Look for anything exposed to sun and breeze.

Not an easy choice with sun coming from the opposite direction as breeze 

Edit - remergence is worth looking at in this situation (and dead tree traverse for us more average people)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2024, 12:48:42 am by lagerstarfish »

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#2840 Re: Eastern Edges Today
January 17, 2024, 09:03:33 pm
Burbage North was good today. Plenty of dry, grippy rock. The sunshine was lovely - you could actually feel it.
More importantly, the roads were fine. Some bits of ice and a tiny dusting of snow.
Obviously - drive carefully.
I carry a bucket of rock salt in the van just in case I end up on ice

joel182

• obsessive maniac
#2841 Re: Eastern Edges Today
January 17, 2024, 09:35:22 pm
Not eastern but the roads up to the Roaches were still in good condition today.

Nothing logged at Stanage Plantation today, I guess the road to the Hollin Bank car park isn't gritted? Any thoughts for venues apart from Burbage with good access to the parking?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#2842 Re: Eastern Edges Today
January 17, 2024, 10:34:03 pm

Nothing logged at Stanage Plantation today, I guess the road to the Hollin Bank car park isn't gritted? Any thoughts for venues apart from Burbage with good access to the parking?

Secret Garden, Mother Cap, Owler Tor, Millstone etc. Anything accessable from Surprise View car park. The road gets gritted.
Keyhole traverse could be awesome

(Maybe this counts as Burbage...)

RHS and Cratcliff should be fine

SamT

• forum hero
#2843 Re: Eastern Edges Today
January 18, 2024, 10:08:05 am
Yeah, Was all mint yesterday and all the roads are fine.  :bounce:

grimer

• forum hero
#2844 Re: Eastern Edges Today
January 18, 2024, 04:59:26 pm
It was actually pretty cold in the sun t Burbage north. Great at millstone yesterday a bit more sheltered. Keyhole traverse great but light snow underneath

joel182

• obsessive maniac
#2845 Re: Eastern Edges Today
January 18, 2024, 10:20:04 pm

Secret Garden, Mother Cap, Owler Tor, Millstone etc. Anything accessable from Surprise View car park. The road gets gritted.
Keyhole traverse could be awesome

(Maybe this counts as Burbage...)

RHS and Cratcliff should be fine

Roads all in way better condition than I expected. T-shirt weather in the sun up at Secret Garden today.

stone

• forum abuser
#2846 Re: Eastern Edges Today
January 19, 2024, 06:37:55 pm
For all the avid hydrographers out there:- Mermaid at Burbage was dusty dry today. I've been on a quest to find it dry for weeks and it has been soaking whenever I've looked. My impression is that it needs to be frozen deep within the rock to stop the seepage lines. Anyway any lamp folk might still have time before it thaws I guess.

Stabbsy

• junky
#2847 Re: Eastern Edges Today
February 23, 2024, 09:31:04 am
Any knowledge on the likely conditions of the bouldering at Wharncliffe tomorrow? Showery in Sheffield until 4ish today and it's put a lot of rain down recently, but don't have a feel for how fast stuff there will dry. Wind direction is probably helpful (SW), but not especially strong. Am I being wildly optimistic?

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#2848 Re: Eastern Edges Today
February 23, 2024, 11:16:48 am
Any knowledge on the likely conditions of the bouldering at Wharncliffe tomorrow? Showery in Sheffield until 4ish today and it's put a lot of rain down recently, but don't have a feel for how fast stuff there will dry. Wind direction is probably helpful (SW), but not especially strong. Am I being wildly optimistic?

I went in similar conditions a couple of weeks back. Some stuff was very wet (cazu maru), some stuff a bit wet (platitude inspector) and some stuff very dry (wharnside story, snakes on a plain). So not wildy optimistic depending on what you want to try

T_B

• forum hero
#2849 Re: Eastern Edges Today
February 23, 2024, 11:34:03 am
Similarly we drove over in rain. Long John’s Stride area was soaking but there was stuff dry at Outlook boulders. Worth a punt unless you have something v specific in mind.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal