UKBouldering.com

Eastern Edges Today (Read 803048 times)

sidewinder

• obsessive maniac
#175 Re: Eastern Edges Today
December 03, 2010, 09:59:44 am
Hoping to get out through the weekend.  Driving from Nottingham direction I was thinking Black Rocks or maybe eatswood, anyone tried visiting either of these.  More interested in the state of the roads than the problems!

ChrisC

• menacing presence
#176 Re: Eastern Edges Today
December 03, 2010, 11:27:07 am
You should be fine getting to Black Rocks, even if you have to walk up from Cromford.  Not sure what Cromford hill's like now - it was impassable but probably ok by now.

eatswood could be trickier - I've got a mate that lives in that area that said he's got 3ft snow down his drive on Wednesday so I can't see it having shifted much since then...

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#177 Re: Eastern Edges Today
December 03, 2010, 11:38:26 am
For eatswood you could always park just off the A632 and walk, it's less than a mile without much uphill. Or park at Alton, if the road is clear to there, for a shorter flatter walk.

ChrisC

• menacing presence
#178 Re: Eastern Edges Today
December 03, 2010, 12:21:14 pm
Good plan the same would be true for Turning Stone too if you parked at the top of Slack Hill.  (not too sure what state the crag will be in though, probably not great since it faces East into all the snow/wind we've had, but may be ok after a day or two of sun?)

account_inactive

• forum hero
#179 Re: Eastern Edges Today
December 03, 2010, 04:57:54 pm
Just tried to get out Burbage West to clear some snow.  Managed to get half way before one of the snow chains fell off and then we got stuck :jaw:

The chains we have are bullshit so might try to attach them by some other means and try again tomorrow

dave

#180 Re: Eastern Edges Today
December 03, 2010, 05:00:05 pm
been thinking of getting some snowchains - lets us know what type yours are so I can avoid them.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#181 Re: Eastern Edges Today
December 03, 2010, 05:05:09 pm
Will check for you.  They are a pain to put on which means that you are less likely to take them off when there is not snow.  On the plus side they were only £30ish

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#182 Re: Eastern Edges Today
December 04, 2010, 12:46:25 pm
I did a few laps on Conan at Mother Cap this morning - I brushed the exit ledges so it's reasonably safe to get off. Nice conditions. I still managed to fail on David though.

Saw some folk heading off towards Secret Garden with brushes.

al123

• menacing presence
#183 Re: Eastern Edges Today
December 04, 2010, 07:02:25 pm
Hoping to get out to burbage north or west. Will any of those be ok in this weather? Thinkin remergance area will ok?

clgladiator

• menacing presence
  • a deceptively
    • Climbing Photography
#184 Re: Eastern Edges Today
December 04, 2010, 09:08:49 pm
Can anyone give conditions for the burbage valley, im travelling out by bus and this seems like as good a bet as any.

stevej

• menacing presence
#185 Re: Eastern Edges Today
December 05, 2010, 02:58:27 am
Trying to post on laptop but it's all going a bit Pete Tong. Managed to drive to hathersage today from where it had been living at Stanage top for the last week in a little fiesta with no drama, roads were fairly clear and good (albeit technically closed). Was definitely accessible uphill in a 4x4, should be a go-er in a car w/ snow tyres/chains, possibly without if you've got the power and the skills. It's still got a road closed sign on obviously so it's your call.

Road from ringlow has 100 foot of currently impassible very deep snow-drifts. Possibly ok in a landy if you go right around on the verge (through the trail of 4x4 distruction  :wank: )

Major YYFY in rescuing my car, was pretty happy  :thumbsup:

WSS and some other stuff at burbage west was clear of snow but it looked wet to me from the road. The stone of burbage bridge was wet fwiw. (fuck, now I'm having doubts, I'm pretty sure it was the WSS buttress, I was tootling along trying pretty hard not to crash). Burbage north was almost entirely deep in snow as far as we could see.

Steve

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#186 Re: Eastern Edges Today
December 05, 2010, 08:20:37 am
Foggy and melting in Grindleford as I type.  I doubt anything will be dry other than the Churnet.

Barratt

• menacing presence
    • Rocket
#187 Re: Eastern Edges Today
December 07, 2010, 08:43:49 pm
Anyone aware of conditions at Rivelin, specifically Moontan?

Looking to get out on Thursday, above seems like my best bet and it's on my list to tick!

cofe

• forum hero
#188 Re: Eastern Edges Today
December 07, 2010, 10:35:21 pm
I've not been recently, but it's a good bet for a climbable problem in bad conditions (I.e. Like now).

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#189 Re: Eastern Edges Today
December 08, 2010, 04:24:49 pm
Anyone aware of conditions at Rivelin, specifically Moontan?

Looking to get out on Thursday, above seems like my best bet and it's on my list to tick!

Moontan is indeed dry, it's an ok problem, pretty sharp though, hope you've got good skin.
I removed a load of leaves and ice from the top of Acid Reign which has stopped a drip and made the top out a little more pleasant - excellent problem.
The paths are well compacted, no problems getting up there or around, looks like there's been a lot of people that way.
Wandered over to Purple Haze which is also dry & looks fantastic, might be a better one for the conditions, Moontan proably isn't that critical being positive, if small, crimpers.  Through the trees, Faze Action looked dry but green
I'm Back also dry and looks doable with a few pads and a spotter.  I was tempted today but sense got the better of me.

The car park hasn't been cleared so parking is pretty limited.
And finally the road from Ringinglow via Lodge Moor has been cleared and is passable.

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#190 Re: Eastern Edges Today
December 08, 2010, 04:30:01 pm
I'd imagine Cheeks N Beaks, Nik's Wall, Iain's Dyno, Boulder Club, Were Bulldykes Darn't and Sparks should all be dry their too.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#191 Re: Eastern Edges Today
December 08, 2010, 04:34:26 pm
Where is Nik's Wall and how hard is it? Has it been repeated?

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#192 Re: Eastern Edges Today
December 08, 2010, 04:39:52 pm
From chatsworth, on sunday, eagle stone looked in condition and looked like people were climbing on it. Can anyone confirm this - and where did they park? road up past curbar looked unpassable for me today.

Might join you at rivelin Barrett if conditions are as good as sugested.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#193 Re: Eastern Edges Today
December 08, 2010, 04:44:14 pm
 :shrug:

Most of the edge looked ok, pinnacle was dripping.

Think I found BC, what I saw was dry but didn't look up to much?

I thought about walking to the quarries but the call of the coffee was too strong, may well return Fri for PH so will check them out then but I would say 99% certain to be ok on the evidence of the edge.

Nicely sheltered from the wind too, actually felt warm at times.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#194 Re: Eastern Edges Today
December 08, 2010, 04:48:06 pm
Curbar Gap parking can often be accessed from the A621 when the road up from the village is impassable.  It's undulating but nothing like as steep as straight up, as long as you can keep momentum it's ok. 
Or park in Baslow, just up a hill from the mini roundabout and a footpath leads up to monument end of the edge in a couple of  kilometres.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=425821&Y=372806&A=Y&Z=120

Good to know the Eaglestone's dry, want to get back there too.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 04:58:04 pm by nai »

highrepute

• forum hero
  • Blah
#195 Re: Eastern Edges Today
December 08, 2010, 05:05:39 pm
Curbar Gap parking can often be accessed from the A621 when the road up from the village is impassable.  It's undulating but nothing like as steep as straight up, as long as you can keep momentum it's ok.

Drove past, up the A621, today. Looked pretty horrendous to me, didn't fancy driving along it., but maybe I'm being a wuss. cheers for the beta on parking in baslw shall give it a go tomorrow

cofe

• forum hero
#196 Re: Eastern Edges Today
December 08, 2010, 05:18:12 pm
Think I found BC, what I saw was dry but didn't look up to much?

Boulder Club? It's probably 6c tops (rather than 7a+ as on pb.info), but it's a tight line as it's right on the arete. Good moves though.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#197 Re: Eastern Edges Today
December 08, 2010, 05:52:19 pm
better than it looks then, I'll have a dabble when I go back for Purple Haze, cheers.

dave

#198 Re: Eastern Edges Today
December 08, 2010, 06:15:46 pm
I recon the way graham hoey is doing it in the '89 guide could easily be somewhere in the 7a+ to 7d range.

cofe

• forum hero
#199 Re: Eastern Edges Today
December 08, 2010, 06:33:46 pm
The same way as us?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal