UKBouldering.com

You just can't feckin' win...... (Read 2883 times)

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
  • High Rocks? Best crag in the country mate.....
    • John Horscroft - Writer
You just can't feckin' win......
May 13, 2009, 12:23:24 pm
Thought I'd go and show my face at a meeting of the Blackamoor Advisory Group last night, try and prove that mountain bikers aren't all Satan's Spawn.  Meeting was held on Blackamoor itself, and consisted mainly of ancient ramblers who think mountain bikers are impertinent scum.  Imagine my amusement when the next mbiker along decided to hurl abuse at the assembled ancients (and me) for standing on the bridleway.   :furious:

Still, good news is the temporary bridleway that runs parallel to Hathersage Road is to become permanent.......

jh

erm, sam

• forum hero
#1 Re: You just can't feckin' win......
May 13, 2009, 10:28:33 pm
Well, at least you did turn up. Even if the only thing you did was to provide a counter balance to the knob mtber, it may well have been an evening usefully spent. Maybe.

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
#2 Re: You just can't feckin' win......
May 14, 2009, 11:10:18 am
I wasn't sure about going.  i heard tales of fierce rambler folk who feast on the entrails of MBers and, sure enough, I was viewed with suspicion by a couple of elderly walker folk.  Interestingly though, once i got talking to a few of the less angry looking ones, it turned out there were other two-wheelers present and even a degree of sympathy for the mb fraternity.  So, on balance, it was worth going and aside from the good news about the new bridleway, they're looking at doing some maintenance at the bottom of Devil's Elbow Gate.  So, the evil morasse at the bottom might be a thing of the past, you never know.....

jh

Mr Cat

• menacing presence
    • Flickr
#3 Re: You just can't feckin' win......
May 17, 2009, 01:42:15 pm
strange lot the ramblers imo - went out for a stroll one hot summers day to find a couple of old crusty ramblers kitted out in full all weather attire...ffs...I was hot wearing a t-shirt..!

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#4 Re: You just can't feckin' win......
May 17, 2009, 02:19:31 pm
I'm on the mailing list for that group.

I rarely attend the meetings, as I find them too insular and self defeating... it's good to get the info on what's going on mind

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
#5 Re: You just can't feckin' win......
May 18, 2009, 11:28:44 am
Yeah, that's kind of what I was expecting, but the Friends of Blackamoor,  who I think are what we can term fundamentalist ramblers, were thin on the ground.  There was a local guy who has just bought his first MB, another walker who said he has no problem with MBers, and as a result it was quite a positive meeting.  It's worth noting that Annabel from Sheffield Wildlife Trust who chairs the meeting is a MBer.........

jh

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#6 Re: You just can't feckin' win......
May 18, 2009, 09:57:33 pm
Tbh it's the mtbers in the last few years that are a poor user group.

Dh track in Blakka, ffs...

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
#7 Re: You just can't feckin' win......
May 19, 2009, 11:09:44 am
No argument there, had a look at the DH near Devil's Elbow, what a fuckin' mess.  They've stirred up a right hornets nest with that crap.  Some of the guys who are uplifting to do the middle run are none to clever either, flying down the trail, no warnings to any poor sod standing in the way having a breather, (ie me)...... :o

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal