UKBouldering.com

Brass Band, Raven Tor (Read 10814 times)

cofe

• forum hero
#25 Re: Brass Band, Raven Tor
May 15, 2009, 03:19:10 pm
i just linked up cherokee lane and jericho road: 'Choad'.

jonjon

• addict
#26 Re: Brass Band, Raven Tor
May 16, 2009, 08:12:23 am
Just Done Neil's wall starting off my step ladder - called it 'Il Wall' Much better than the original - no hard moves, in fact hardly any moves at all.

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
#27 Re: Brass Band, Raven Tor
May 17, 2009, 05:37:42 pm
I've just done Revelations, plus its extension, then scuttled across to finish up Sardine. I've called it Ray Jardine. Here's hoping it makes the guide.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#28 Re: Brass Band, Raven Tor
May 21, 2009, 01:10:44 pm
That's the point isn't it; we're not talking about eliminates but new lines on new blocks

Have you missed the point entirely? These are not new blocks or new lines. They aare stuff that has done before that is being claimed by increasingly desperate willy-wavers who haven't got the perspective to stand back and think 'am I really such a genius that no one has seen the potential of these problems before?' Not long ago only the very best boulders were seen as worth adding to the record. Now seemingly every move should be recorded. This has happened because the area is over-developed - increasingly slim pickings. At some point just stop. Not new, not worth wasting net bytes or printed pages over. I note the folk churning out this chaff don't seem to be the ones putting themselves forward to sort it from the wheat come book writing time. Or do we want a peak bouldering guide the size of lancs rock?

And Gib, your examples are considerably better problems than any here...

r-man

• forum hero
  • Glory lurks beneath the moss
    • LANCASHIRE BOULDERING GUIDEBOOK
#29 Re: Brass Band, Raven Tor
May 21, 2009, 01:41:56 pm
Not long ago only the very best boulders were seen as worth adding to the record. Now seemingly every move should be recorded.

Most of the daftest, most eliminate problems hark from the good old days, when limestone lovers copied Ben's duff sequences, and gritstone lovers did endless variations at Remergence Wall and the Business face. You keep going on about slim pickings, but from what I've seen, some great problems have been done in recent years. Sure, some less impressive problems have been claimed, but why does this irk you so much? I always think part of what makes climbing great is that people find so much enjoyment in such unlikely places. I like reading about people's discoveries, even lie down starts at Stanage. One day, I may even try Harris's problem. I'd hate to become too proud to get involved in anything ridiculous.

And why do you keep going on about willy-waving? You seem the only one obsessed with this concept.  ::)

And no, we don't need everything in a guidebook, but it's churlish to object to things being written up on the net.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#30 Re: Brass Band, Raven Tor
May 21, 2009, 01:50:19 pm
I take a guidebook and the net with me to the crag so I can always be fully informed as to the latest developments and of course inform others of any stunning 5+'s that others might have overlooked 8)  :P

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal