UKBouldering.com

Roadies tech talk thread (Read 2955 times)

Duma

• forum hero
Roadies tech talk thread
May 01, 2009, 10:15:58 pm
So they've got fatdoc, we're just gonna have to pool our knowledge...

My question is regarding compacts: since the Pompino got nicked, I've been using the road bike around town more. It's got a SRAM rival gruppo, 11-26 block, 50-34 chainset. The problem I'm having is that 80% of the time I want to be using the ratio's that are between the big and little ring, and changing up and down at both ends is a pain in the arse. My thought is to get hold of a 36t chainring, anyone tried this? I know I'll be sacrificing the really low ratios, but I'm not really using the bike on any really hilly terrain anyway. Is this a really stupid plan? I suppose I could get a new block instead, but that seems overkill for what's basically me being a bit lazy.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#1 Re: Roadies tech talk thread
May 02, 2009, 08:58:37 am
I would doubt the front mech would like it. Comapct mechs are specific compared to doubles I believe.

Surly your gear ratios overlap enough to run big ring small sprocket most if the time if you want a low gear?

If it's flat u don't know why you don't just stay in the big ring anyway :shrug:

bigd942

• addict
#2 Re: Roadies tech talk thread
May 02, 2009, 09:48:12 am
could be it's stuck in your mind now and your thinking too much about it. You could make a conscious effort to focus on your cadance rather than what gear your in, not much flat round Sheffield so I think your over geared a bit (too much Jan Ullrich not enough Lance), personally for me I'm on the small ring (12>25 on the back) up until 21mph or so, I have a natural high cadance but I reckon most people would get to 18>19mph without being on the big ring, as I was one told, you should only be on the big ring if your thinking of doing something ie a breakaway in a race etc. I'm starting to be on the big ring more now as my form is improving with the summer months so when I put the hammer down it's 25>28mph normally with bursts between lampposts/chasing tractors - the JCB 40mph variety!
Depends on your condition, are you racing regular or just out riding for health/fitness. I've never tried compacts but its a personal thing, if you try them and like them, it could be in the mind more than anything, would be some overlap in the ratios.

soapy

• junky
    • maskon
#3 Re: Roadies tech talk thread
May 02, 2009, 11:24:15 am
have a look at this

tlr

• forum abuser
  • tim-russon.myportfolio Instagram tim_russon
    • Myportfolio
#4 Re: Roadies tech talk thread
May 02, 2009, 07:49:46 pm
36 will be no problem at all, some compacts come with a 36 anyway.

Only some mechs are specific to compact to help cope with the large difference in teeth between 34 and 50, so moving to a 36 will reduce the difference. I use a normal mech anyway with no worries.

Percy B

• forum hero
    • www.climbingworks.com
#5 Re: Roadies tech talk thread
May 05, 2009, 09:07:34 am
I've tried all sorts of different set-ups for riding in the Peak. When my knees were slightly younger I had 53-38 on the front and 25-12 on the back which worked great. Fitting a 38 tooth small ring onto a standard chainset works great, gives you a bit of an easier gear for hills and doesn't require any tweaking of the front mech. It also means all the gear ratios are still nice close together. If you haven't got any really hilly areas where you normally ride, then this set up should see you right. I now use 50-34 with a 25-11 cassette due to knee problems aggravated by pushing too big a gear previously and this works fine, but then I do live right on the edge of the Peak so everywhere I go involves long draggy hills. A standard front mech will work fine for standard or compact chainsets - you might just need to move the front mech up a little if you move from a compact to a standard set-up.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal