UKBouldering.com

Sore heel (or Tendon injuries at the other end of the body to normal?) (Read 2324 times)

SteveM

• stalker
  • I feel the need for speed
    • bad-altitude
Ok, I'm crap at pain and being injured but this hasn't been a problem before as I'd been blessedly injury free.

Last Saturday we were running the Wasdale horseshoe and got caught out by a thunderstorm and hail. The descent back into the valley was steep, slow and I got very cold. I had very sore quads and calves for the next 3 days which gradually eased through massage and avoiding anything faster than a stroll.

Today I tried a lunchtime run at very gentle pace but had to stop every 800m or so to stretch enough to continue. I was hardly moving faster than walking pace to stay warm. The cause of the stopping was a sharp pain which is under my right heel, right at the back of the sole. It feels like I'm standing on a biro-lid-sized-stone. I guess this has been masked by the sore legs earlier in the week?

Any diagnosis, advice or treatment?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a

SteveM

• stalker
  • I feel the need for speed
    • bad-altitude
Could be. The location described on a diagram in Wikipediaseems about right though the pain seems to extend for ~1" into the "35%" area. As causes include excessive tightness in the calf muscle it seems plausible. Other descriptions of the symptoms from an inflamed bursa under the heel bone also seem to fit. Provisional plan is to give the running a break up over the long weekend, stretch and ice lots and book myself into 919 clinic for next week if it doesn't improve.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal