UKBouldering.com

Knee pain (Read 2297 times)

matthew

• menacing presence
Knee pain
April 30, 2009, 11:26:02 am
I sprained my right ankle 4weeks ago and since coming off the crutches a sharp pain has developed in my left knee (I figure it's from adjusting my gait due to the bad right ankle).
The pain is around the outside edge of the knee cap, it hurts when I walk (mainly as the knee flexes) but doesn't hurt quite so much if I jog. Any ideas what it is? How do I make it better?

Cheers

jfw

• forum abuser
  • banananananana
#1 Re: Knee pain
May 16, 2009, 04:33:32 pm
pain on outside edge of knee might be ITBS (disclaimer i aint a physio and you prob should go see one)

one indication is - if you sit on the edge of a firm bed, or a sturdy table then lie backwards keeping your feet/shins hanging down - now move (or even better get some one to gently push) your "bad" leg in towards the other leg - does this recreate your pain? (again see above disclaimer)

matthew

• menacing presence
#2 Re: Knee pain
May 19, 2009, 03:44:01 pm
The pain has really gone off now. I had been swimming a lot, had a week off, went swimming yesterday and as I breaststoke kicked there was some pain so I'm wondering if that had something to do with it. I've also had a really sturdy knee support on which has definitely helped. Mmm... there is a physio round the corner, it does look slightly "new age" though...

I tried to do what you recommend but I've just moved house and have minimal furniture and there is nowhere I can lie back with my feet hanging off the floor. I've been sleeping on a thermarest for a month which has done wonders for my back but hasn't really helped the ankle as I lie on my front with my toes extended and when I wake up the first few steps are dubious and feels like my ankle is about to collapse, that goes off pretty quick though.

webbo

• forum hero
#3 Re: Knee pain
May 20, 2009, 09:08:13 am
breaststroke is notorious for causing bad knees.time to learn front crawl i'm afraid.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal