UKBouldering.com

Allergies (Read 5048 times)

Paul B

• forum hero
Allergies
April 29, 2009, 11:32:26 am
So on Monday I got back from Spain, having nothing in the house I opted to go for a nice curry. I got something a bit different with tonnes of nuts in it and lo and behold about 30 mins after leaving the curry house my hand had what looks like a tonne of nettle stings all over the palm. The day before though, somebody cooked for me in our little bungalow, using tinned mussels. I'm guessing that one of these two things is responsible for the current texture of my palm.

does anyone on here suffer from allergies which cause random sh*t like this?
Shall I just go to boots and buy something and see if it goes away?

Thanks people
 :'(

dave

#1 Re: Allergies
April 29, 2009, 11:37:10 am
best thing is just get some antihistamines. hayfever tablets in other words.

tomtom

• forum hero
#2 Re: Allergies
April 29, 2009, 11:44:50 am
So on Monday I got back from Spain, having nothing in the house I opted to go for a nice curry. I got something a bit different with tonnes of nuts in it and lo and behold about 30 mins after leaving the curry house my hand had what looks like a tonne of nettle stings all over the palm. The day before though, somebody cooked for me in our little bungalow, using tinned mussels. I'm guessing that one of these two things is responsible for the current texture of my palm.

does anyone on here suffer from allergies which cause random sh*t like this?
Shall I just go to boots and buy something and see if it goes away?

Thanks people
 :'(

Funny that its on the palm of your hands... that suggests to me its something you touched not eaten.
I'm not nut allergic, but from friends that are that usually involves tongue/throat swelling up - feeling sick.

Antihistamines are a good plan if its allergic - but you could just try some E45 cream on it for now?

dave

#3 Re: Allergies
April 29, 2009, 12:02:55 pm
I don't this allergies necessarily manifest themselves in such a literal manner - if I take penicillin I'd get a rash without having to pub it all over my skin.

tomtom

• forum hero
#4 Re: Allergies
April 29, 2009, 12:05:59 pm
I don't this allergies necessarily manifest themselves in such a literal manner - if I take penicillin I'd get a rash without having to pub it all over my skin.
You're right of course - and I am NOT a doctor... Though I do remember when being prick tested for allergies, then I responded with rashes on the skin where the allergen had been applied....
But palms of hands is odd. I've come out in hives all over (from AB's as well) and other rashes, but never on the palms of hands!

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#5 Re: Allergies
April 29, 2009, 12:10:39 pm
Any other history of allergies?  Hay fever?  Asthma?  Eczema?
This type of reaction usually comes up pretty quickly after an allergen, so the mussels may not be the most likely.

The other thing is insect bites etc, they would be a candidate.  Or a contact reaction from an irritant you've touched.  I'd agree the site is unusual for a systemic reaction.

Get some antihistamines into yourself (cetirizine or chlorphenamine will do, the latter is drowsiness inducing) and see what happens.

Paul B

• forum hero
#6 Re: Allergies
April 29, 2009, 12:12:26 pm
Nice I've got a meeting at 2, i'll go for the latter just before!!!

I guess I used some kind of leather conditioner on the gear stick, could be that?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#7 Re: Allergies
April 29, 2009, 12:26:29 pm
Swine flu?

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#8 Re: Allergies
April 29, 2009, 12:33:54 pm
I guess I used some kind of leather conditioner on the gear stick, could be that?

If it's the same hand it's a possibility.  If you haven't got other symptoms (wheezy etc) you could do a patch test and put a tiny diluted bit somewhere else on your skin and see.  If it's pretty localised rash you can also get some 1% hydrocortisone, or even eumovate, to put on the area twice a day.  That plus the antihistamine should sort it out.

Anything exciting in the leather conditioner?

tomtom

• forum hero
#9 Re: Allergies
April 29, 2009, 12:36:26 pm
I guess I used some kind of leather conditioner on my gear stick, could be that?

Apparently are other more gentle forms of lubricant you can use  ;)

Paul B

• forum hero
#10 Re: Allergies
April 29, 2009, 01:22:16 pm
Anything exciting in the leather conditioner?

I don't know its currently being held ransom by my g/f as well as the car and my ipod in the car. I'll take a look tonight. Its some Autoglym stuff I'll have a look online now.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#11 Re: Allergies
April 29, 2009, 01:33:21 pm
It sounds more like a contact (irritant) dermatitis from what you say.  Allergy isn't normally a part of it, it's just a reaction to something.  Bung some steroid cream on for a few days, it'll be reet.

dave

#12 Re: Allergies
April 29, 2009, 01:55:47 pm
doesn't steroid cream thin the skin though? probably nonplus for the boulderer.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#13 Re: Allergies
April 29, 2009, 01:57:22 pm
HC is a mild steroid and as long as you don't use more than 30g in 3 months, or for more than 4 weeks without a break, it won't be a problem.
I doubt you'd need it for more than a week anyway.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#14 Re: Allergies
April 30, 2009, 04:54:19 pm
Has it settled down, Paul?

Paul B

• forum hero
#15 Re: Allergies
April 30, 2009, 09:05:07 pm
hmmm a little.

The pills made my meeting go by a lot quicker (easier?)... I only bought the steroid cream yesterday so I haven't had much use out of it. I'll report back tomorrow.

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#16 Re: Allergies
May 04, 2009, 09:39:46 pm
It sounds more like a contact (irritant) dermatitis from what you say.  Allergy isn't normally a part of it, it's just a reaction to something.  Bung some steroid cream on for a few days, it'll be reet.

Paul, sorry I'm late in on this, you owe this guy karma, I find it hard to believe that it was an ingested allogen with this history.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal