UKBouldering.com

Hub Gears and Brakes..? (Read 2215 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
Hub Gears and Brakes..?
April 28, 2009, 07:04:00 pm
Hello,
Tempted to get a 'city bike' from our cycle to work scheme, and whilst perusing Halfords website (I know you can get them from elsewhere but its a first port of call) and notice that their own brand (carerra) has a model with hub gears and hub brakes..

The spec describes them as "Shimano Premium Nexus inter 8 hub gearing" (!!)... and "Shimano Nexus hub roller brakes for low maintenance braking"... (nexus sounds like some brand of profalactic...)
Now, not knowing much about them, I presume as all the gearing and braking gubbins is internal they are less susceptible to intrusion of grit and general shit that causes wear ...? But - the cynical part of me wonders.. whilst they may require less maintenence and may last longer - when they go wrong will they not send me a large bill or even be obsolete?
I dunno, anyone any experience of these things?

The more expensive Boardmans look nice - with carbon bits and peices  :)

tomtom

• forum hero
#1 Re: Hub Gears and Brakes..?
April 28, 2009, 07:11:03 pm
Hmm, this might have answered my question... seems a bit mixed on the rear gears.. but any other thoughts welcome, T

fatkid2000

• junky
#2 Re: Hub Gears and Brakes..?
April 28, 2009, 07:35:26 pm
My very basic understanding of Hub gears is that they make the back end of your bike bloody heavy, and real wheel changing can be a pain in the arse.

As far as I'm aware rohloff are the masters of the speed hub - but they are heavy- although apparently very reliable and sealed from all the road shit you come across on Sheffield's roads. I think 18 bikes may sell them?
http://www.rohloff.de/en/products/speedhub/index.html

Fj

• menacing presence
#3 Re: Hub Gears and Brakes..?
April 28, 2009, 09:00:08 pm
A colleague of mine bought a cotic road rat with an alfine geared hub last summer and commuted on it all winter without any issues.
It's true that they make the back wheel heavy, and its far more complicate than the standard solution, but it is trouble free and 'less clunky'.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal