UKBouldering.com

a couple of questions... (Read 2946 times)

badong

a couple of questions...
April 23, 2009, 08:58:38 pm
Hey all, I'm in the process of designing a cellar board but want to clear a couple of things up before doing lots of unnecessary maths or being crushed by my creation.

the plan is to make something 8'x5' at about 40-50 degrees

I was planning on fixing the board to the structure of the building by screwing the frame to the underside of the ceiling joists at the top end and screwing the base against the wall.  Will this be enough support? i see a lot of designs have a diagonal support from the back wall to the center of the board but this is generally on larger boards.

I'm also unsure as to what size joists to use for the frame. Ive looked at a few guides in the FAQ but there seems to be some conflicting ideas regarding specifics relating to the angle of the board and none take into consideration the length.

If anyone with experience in building such things could help that would be awesome.

Scraggadoo

• addict
#1 Re: a couple of questions...
April 23, 2009, 09:15:11 pm
Believe it's 2" by 4" (or roughly 50mm x 100mm - can't remember exact metric equivalents).  This is what I have from reading all the various sources about building your own cellar board, but I ain't built one so don't go on what I say.

I do plan to build one though, probably about the same size as you have, maybe a little longer though.  Ain't got a clue about supports sorry, I don't have that luxury since I'm living in rented accomm and plan to make a free standing one...

Best of luck with it though.

EDIT:  I think you will need vertical supports not diagonal!  i.e. create a box with 2" by 4", then vertical stiffeners spaced some x inches apart and screw your plywood on this.  And then mount this at an angle.  Believe 40 degrees is a good angle, and trigonometry is used to dictate length of board according to your constraints on where you can fix board etc.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#2 Re: a couple of questions...
April 23, 2009, 09:44:30 pm
Pages of woodie pr0n here

Also check the board share thread in diet, training and injuries. All sorts of those perverted men might let you look at theirs. I'll show you mine when it's back up again.

badong

#3 Re: a couple of questions...
April 26, 2009, 07:30:04 pm
alright cheers for the info. i had a trawl through those threads but quite a few of them the support wasn't really visible, some inspiring stuff though! I recon ill fix the board as described above and test my weight on it see if it needs anything adding to it. obviously if anyone reads this and thinks its a terrible idea let me know lol.

Monolith

• forum hero
  • Straight outta Cronton.
#4 Re: a couple of questions...
April 26, 2009, 07:41:47 pm
Good luck with it. Hope to see the finished product within!

nik at work

• forum hero
#5 Re: a couple of questions...
April 26, 2009, 07:47:51 pm
At 8' height 2"x4" will be fine without any additional support.

mctrials23

• obsessive maniac
#6 Re: a couple of questions...
April 26, 2009, 11:38:57 pm
Sorry to piggyback this thread but I was just about to embark on finally building my little board in my room but was wondering, what is the smallest a board could be before its just not worth having. Im 6'2" by the way.

badong

#7 Re: a couple of questions...
April 27, 2009, 09:32:30 pm
lol thanks nik that was those where the words i was hoping to see.

Piggy back away, the woodie thread in the FAQ seems to be somewhat unloved...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal