UKBouldering.com

Gallery Software (Read 2540 times)

bigd942

• addict
Gallery Software
April 21, 2009, 03:41:02 pm
I'm in the process of setting up a small website for a mate in return for hanging a few doors for me. He's not a bad photographer (from what I've seen) so looking for something simple and not too much bother that we can a. update easily b. look neat and c. he can eventually take over in the not very distant future.

I've worked with a few WYSIWYG editors in the past but am a little out of touch to be honest with no spare time to sit at something for too long, two bits of software that give reasonable results are Jalbum and WebGallery Wizard although the later isn't that easy to update.

A rough layout is here (www.mervynmcbride.co.uk), would appreciate any advise on alternatives to get a similar look or maybe Jalbum is as good as it gets for this sort of thing, don't need a shop etc, just basic contact info and pricing which I'm working on. Motorbikes is his main interest, quite a few shots from the NW200 and other Ulster short circuits, few good scenery ones as well from around here.

Dom

dave

#1 Re: Gallery Software
April 21, 2009, 03:46:59 pm
i've used jalbum (although not for a year or so) and its alright, especially given it costs quite literally FUCK ALL.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 Re: Gallery Software
April 21, 2009, 04:03:59 pm

Think jalbum is the "class leader" for free stuff. I think the site looks fine as it is.

If he wants to go pro and pay some money then something like Smugmug would be good.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#3 Re: Gallery Software
April 25, 2009, 01:11:22 pm
There's a whole host of software out there thats FOSS.  Some are obviously easier to use than others and it all depends on the level of technical proficiency you have/are preparred to learn.  Many seem to be based around PHP, although I'm sure there are some Ruby/Perl versions to be found, and most will likely use something like Imagemagcik (or similar) in the background...

Plogger : PHP based photo-blogging.
Gallery : PHP based gallery.
Coppermine : another PHP based gallery.

In fact, rather than me listing all those I find, have a read of this.

Can't really comment on the functionality/ease of use of any, I played around with one example ages ago, but didn't persevere since I already use Flickr and am very happy with it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal