UKBouldering.com

what is da reason why CIR needs long recovery? (Read 2124 times)

route149

• addict
  • 'Let's see how Ben does it...'
Okay, so I've recently started doing CIR (continuous intensity repetitions) as described in the self-taught climber.

Is there a physiological reason why this seems to need longer recovery than a normal boulder session, or doing 4 by 4s?

For those not familiar, CIR is doing the same difficulty of problem at a level where you can do from 8 to 15 repetitions and really struggle with the last one.  Unlike 4 by 4s, rest interval is much longer (up to 5 mins)  than work interval and so you ensure that you never get pumped.

I'm not very fit at the moment so I've been doing CIRs about 4 V grades lower than problems I can send in three tries.

This is my third day after a session and I'm still feeling wasted - especially shouldery and tricepy.  After doing just a boulder pyramid session or recruitment, I can go back after just one rest day.

Thanks guyse

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1

Is there a physiological reason why this seems to need longer recovery than a normal boulder session, or doing 4 by 4s?

Maybe because it is a new exercise for you and you're not used to it yet.

route149

• addict
  • 'Let's see how Ben does it...'
Thanks Simon.   I think I just overlooked the bleeding obvious! ::)

jed

• player
  • Are you Experienced?
I think it it might be down to the fact that It stresses the body in 2 areas unlike other types of training (hypertrophy and recruitment)
I found this type of training to cause overtraining injuries when I experimented with it 3 x a week.

ps: I know fuck all about training

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal