UKBouldering.com

Manchester Physios (Read 3260 times)

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
Manchester Physios
April 17, 2009, 10:56:32 pm
Thought I'd share some information.
After causing something excruciating to happen in my left shoulder every time I raised my arm (now thankfully improved) I wasted quite a bit of time (and money) on a well meaning osteo.
Don't: this guy is brilliant
Alan Raw at Ross+Harris
http://www.harrisandross.co.uk/index.asp?article=1285
Not only do I feel the injury is well on it's way to recovery,but after the range of diagnoses/recommended exercises I received I'm quite convinced I'll live to 100 and never be injured in any part of my body again.
A pleasure to meet someone expert in their job.

St Hubbins

• stalker
  • Where the magic happens...
#1 Re: Manchester Physios
April 18, 2009, 08:07:26 pm
Do they do happy endings?

rothers

#2 Re: Manchester Physios
April 24, 2009, 05:48:41 pm
Wouldn't you want a specific diagnosis rather than a range? Doesn't this suggest guess work?

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#3 Re: Manchester Physios
April 24, 2009, 11:31:25 pm
Wouldn't you want a specific diagnosis rather than a range? Doesn't this suggest guess work?

You misunderstand me. It took him  little time to identify the problem+solution so I ended up getting a few other things to improve on too .. muscle imbalances, hamstrings, posture etc. Not rocket science, but good astute advice.

St Hubbins: Of course! In a musculo-skeletal kind of way..

rothers

#4 Re: Manchester Physios
April 25, 2009, 05:54:16 pm
Ahh ok gotya. Just wondered because the physios i've been to seem to always say it could be this and it could be that.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#5 Re: Manchester Physios
April 25, 2009, 11:11:10 pm
Rothers: yeah, I've had that too. In fact the week before I managed to visit an osteo (twice) who was probably on the right lines, but not quite sure, and so cheerfully vague I could tell he was alot less concerned about my injury than I was. So I found someone better- this guy.

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#6 Re: Manchester Physios
April 26, 2009, 08:02:32 am
But more to the point: how much?
St John Street can't be cheap.

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
#7 Re: Manchester Physios
April 26, 2009, 11:38:44 am
No, it's not, but way better than making false economies. £ 48 for 1hour consultation, £37 per 1/2 hour follow up, making £85 in total.
And a clear diagnosis with exercise regime and theraband to rehab and prevent future problems.
Contrast this with a combined cost of about £75 with an osteo who apart from a little manipulation and advising me to avoid certain arm positions when climbing in future (WTF?!) was a total waste of money.
To paraphrase the Furry Freak Brothers: 'You'll get through times of climbing but no money more easily than times of money but no climbing'
(The original: substitute 'dope' - 'climbing' - but that's 70s counter-culture for you.)
FWIW I've seen about 8 physios/osteos over the years, some very good, some less so.
The two who stand out as excellent are Alan Raw (physio) and Paul Donnelly (Sheffield osteo). Paul was brilliant, recommended to me by Jerry, and used to charge me half rate when I was a youngster on the dole in Sheffield. Unfortunately (tho not for him) he's swapped Eccleshall Road for the Pyrenees to run a cycling holiday business. Good luck to him.
What they both have in common is this: when you've got a sports injury, you should really get a sportsman to help fix it. Paul's a competitive triathlete, and re. Alan, not quite sure what he practises but after previously being a physio at Man City and now with Wigan Warriors he's clearly up to speed on sports injuries.
And the best of it Serps - St John Street is only 5 minutes from Broughton :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal