UKBouldering.com

broken ankle advice... (Read 3420 times)

nathan wind

• obsessive maniac
    • some pics..
broken ankle advice...
April 14, 2009, 01:16:17 pm
Just wondered if I could get some advice about my ankle..? ideally from one of the docs or physio's on here, or anyone with any similar experience really..

I broke my ankle just over four weeks ago in Bishop.. (the media malleolus is the broken bit) and it was put in plaster cast when I got back to England (bout two weeks ago), prior to that I was given an air splint in ER, and then a hi tech air boot / cast thing, the type that footballers are usually seen sporting which I had for about a week..

Ultimately I'm kinda concerned about the way its healing.. I'm trying to rest it as much as poss or use crutches but cant really avoid moving around on it.. in the states the docs said its ok to walk on it providing I use the crutches and the airboot.. in the UK they said don't weight it whatsoever.. so kinda conflicting advice..

At the moment I'm kinda convinced I can feel the bone knitting.. though I'm kinda concerned.. is this usual? or even possible to feel this..? (or has cabin fever completely taken over and I'm now hallucinating??) If it is knitting shouldn't that have happened sooner? and is there a chance I could have made it worse by walking around in the states? (albeit with crutches??) and thus might have to have another cast if it hasn't healed fully?

I've another ten days in the cast before I go back to the hospital.. at which point it'll be six weeks since I had the accident.. I really dont want to have to have another cast put on as I need to get back to work (at the wall), be able to drive and also really want to show a mate from the states round when they come to visit in may.. though I accept any climbing activity will pretty much be restricted to pointing and giving beta...

Any help or advice would be super appreciated...

Ta, Steve.

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1 Re: broken ankle advice...
April 14, 2009, 01:20:05 pm
What do you mean by

I'm kinda convinced I can feel the bone knitting..

What can you feel? A deep but mild uncomfortable ache?  I seem to remember this from breaks in the past.

nathan wind

• obsessive maniac
    • some pics..
#2 Re: broken ankle advice...
April 14, 2009, 01:25:08 pm
pretty hard to describe really, kinda like tingling but not, sometimes occassionally sharp(ish) pain I guess.. on a scale of 1-10 its like a 2 or something but its pretty constant.. initially the docs told me it'd calcify within about two weeks.. so I guess that should have happened by now? 

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#3 Re: broken ankle advice...
April 14, 2009, 03:22:40 pm
X ray on arrival at your next apt will tell you what the deal is.

If it aint fully callused up...... prepare for another bout in the cast.

even the fit / non smoking / good diet sections of society get the odd *I'm gonna take forever to get better* fractures..

sorry dude.

The discomfort you speak of, doesnt parry with healing... unless its agony (bad) or painless (healed)

good luck mate.

hairich

• obsessive maniac
#4 Re: broken ankle advice...
April 14, 2009, 03:37:25 pm
pm saltbeef on here. hes a doc and he broke his ankle pretty bad last year. shoulde be able to help.

nathan wind

• obsessive maniac
    • some pics..
#5 Re: broken ankle advice...
April 14, 2009, 04:14:07 pm
cheers guys..

If it aint fully callused up...... prepare for another bout in the cast.

Ouch..! don't like the sound of that! Kinda accepted the fact that bouldering (and running I guess!) is gonna be out of the question for at least six weeks after the cast comes off.. but figured I could do routes, train on my board, fingerboards, maybe do easier probs I've got wired that sort of thing .. just don't like the idea of another bout of crutches and all that comes with it.. got another ten days so hopefully all will be good when I go back to hospital....

apparently it was healing properly when I had it x-rayed in the uk, so fingers crossed!

how long does the callusing normally take?

Paul B

• forum hero
#6 Re: broken ankle advice...
April 14, 2009, 04:26:44 pm
At the moment I'm kinda convinced I can feel the bone knitting.. though I'm kinda concerned.. is this usual? or even possible to feel this..? (or has cabin fever completely taken over and I'm now hallucinating??)

I got a fair amount of cabin fever related worry when I had my frame on, it wasn't feeling great on the day of my regular checkup. That day, they decided to remove the frame, early.
Good luck with your next X-ray.

nathan wind

• obsessive maniac
    • some pics..
#7 Re: broken ankle advice...
April 24, 2009, 08:11:21 pm
Cheers for the replies guys...

Went for my x-rays and stuff yestdy, have had the pot removed and been given the ok by the consultant to start using my ankle again.. so psyched!!

fatdoc

• forum hero
  • old and fearful
    • http://www.pincheswall.co.uk
#8 Re: broken ankle advice...
April 25, 2009, 10:24:58 pm
Good luck mate, take it eZy and you should be fine

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#9 Re: broken ankle advice...
April 25, 2009, 10:35:22 pm