UKBouldering.com

News from Scott in Wales (Read 85183 times)

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#75 Re: News from Scott in Wales
April 15, 2009, 02:13:50 pm
RedTips always advertised itself as being for a certain agegroup, thus excluding us oldies (not sure if they are openly ageist anymore).

Dave, you are right of course.  However, RedTips is the backup for a lot of Scott's sends so it is intrinsically intertwined in the BS.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#76 Re: News from Scott in Wales
April 15, 2009, 02:29:09 pm
I've always found the UKC teenage toddler morons to be cringeworthily contemptible, since they started infesting UKC. All their incestuous little excuse for a website does is gather them in one place to be duly mocked.

webbo

• forum hero
#77 Re: News from Scott in Wales
April 15, 2009, 02:29:27 pm
 i still don't get whats in the this for liam copulate.he appears to be saying he actually saw scott do these things.i could understand that si oconman was producing stuff to fulfill his own fantasy but doing it for someone elses delusion is bizarre.

chummer

• forum abuser
#78 Re: News from Scott in Wales
April 15, 2009, 02:54:29 pm
I am bewildered..

First thought was 'fucking idiot'

Quickly followed by, 'this lad obviously has a problem, he's been infected with the O'conor virus, i feel sorry for him, he doesn't seem to have any proper mates to keep him in check'

If this Liam lad can climb anywhere near 7b let alone 7c then surely he's the knowledge to point out Scott's dementedness before it even gets to this stage, so either Liam is a blind hero worshipper who is also dellusional or.......or, or, or ,or .......the seems to be no 'or'.

Fortunately it seems we, as climbers, seem to be able to weed out such bullshit for ourselves so it's only a problem when it overshadows other people's efforts.
Unfortunately for Scott, who folk say seems like a nice lad, he's fucked it for himself.

I think his supposed exploits should be completely ignored from now on and not given any air time, positively or negatively, lets not waste anymore ink.

Jon aged 34 and three quarters.

tc

• junky
#79 Re: News from Scott in Wales
April 15, 2009, 02:55:59 pm
i still don't get whats in the this for liam copulate.he appears to be saying he actually saw scott do these things.i could understand that si oconman was producing stuff to fulfill his own fantasy but doing it for someone elses delusion is bizarre.

I thought you worked in mental health?

;)

Red

• addict
#80 Re: News from Scott in Wales
April 15, 2009, 03:18:55 pm

I guess what saddens me about all this is that these guys setting up Red-Tips have obviously got a huge amount of enthusiasm and drive for climbing... The website is not to my taste - but for something knocked up by a group of amateurs (I'm assuming its not a pro job!) its not bad - and has forums, shop, pictures etc... Someone has obviously spent a lot of time and effort working on the site which is good.. but why spoil it all by posting a load of bullshit about what you clearly have not done? Thats a real shame - because it removes 99% of the sites credibility..

This post is all very refreshing...

I was quite taken by Red Tips', albeit cringeworthy, "syke" for climbing... i quote from their website: "our aim is to develop younger climbers... we hope will make them feel a lot more positive about climbing on a whole, and also achieving their own personal goals. Because it's not a sport, it's a way of life!"

This attitude is really fantastic and a real bonus for any younger climbers who enjoy writing in acronyms and whaling their way up bits on concrete in scunthorpe, especially when there are so many intimidating and wizened older climbers who are ready to rip the piss (you know who you are!). I think that this cynical attitude (even if it is well-meaning) can often put younger climbers off and also gives the 'climbing elite' look like they have disappeared up their own backsides. i am not referring to commentary on scott's aledged ascents here, just to what people have posted with regard to red tips.

however, I totally agree with tomtom who has intelligently pointed out that by publishing all of this bollocks on their site makes this type of behaviour synonymous with this impressive effort made by these younger climbers. just a word to the redtip team: if you want to be taken seriously, don't publish fucking bollocks that no one will ever ever ever ever in a million years believe. amen.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#81 Re: News from Scott in Wales
April 15, 2009, 03:19:23 pm
I've always found the UKC teenage toddler morons to be cringeworthily contemptible, since they started infesting UKC. All their incestuous little excuse for a website does is gather them in one place to be duly mocked.

Fiend have you been following the sloper training manual?  It's not all about internet invective, there's a real emphasis on drinking you know, to be blunt, don't rant sober.

webbo

• forum hero
#82 Re: News from Scott in Wales
April 15, 2009, 03:25:24 pm

I thought you worked in mental health?

;)

i do but i only work with people whos delusion ideas have a thread of reality. ;)

Red

• addict
#83 Re: News from Scott in Wales
April 15, 2009, 03:36:46 pm

is there really need for this? a bit harsh maybe? i know you guys are angry for what scott has done, and that buildering in scunthorpe is value for money, but there is no need to take it out on liam. he has made a website for guys his age, so give the guy a break.

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#84 Re: News from Scott in Wales
April 15, 2009, 04:08:48 pm
is there really need for this? a bit harsh maybe?
I don't think you're remotely interested in my answer, are you?? Having already made up your own mind...

But, yes. They've always been a bunch of idiots on UKC, and youthful exhuberance doesn't excuse that. It's possible to be both young and enthusiastic without being quite so bloody irritating. Amazingly enough I was a young climber once and even I had some sort of humility, willingness to learn, and awareness that my youthful whitterings weren't the be all and end all of climbing knowledge, if I could manage it anyone can.

As for Scott, bleh, others have covered that side of things well enough.

But as a special treat, just for you, because your response to my post has impressed me enough already, I'll leave it for this time <insert rolling eye smiley without the smile on it>

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#85 Re: News from Scott in Wales
April 15, 2009, 04:42:14 pm
It's possible to be both young and enthusiastic without being quite so bloody irritating. Amazingly enough I was a young climber once and even I had some sort of humility, willingness to learn, and awareness that my youthful whitterings weren't the be all and end all of climbing knowledge, if I could manage it anyone can.

. :lol:.or the first things that spring to mind to describe your past prolific posting on UKC

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Whut
#86 Re: News from Scott in Wales
April 15, 2009, 04:45:04 pm
Yes but at least I was a cunt when I knew what I was talking about, it took many years of climbing experience to get that obnoxious.

webbo

• forum hero
#87 Re: News from Scott in Wales
April 15, 2009, 05:29:32 pm

is there really need for this? a bit harsh maybe? i know you guys are angry for what scott has done, and that buildering in scunthorpe is value for money, but there is no need to take it out on liam. he has made a website for guys his age, so give the guy a break.
yes there is a need to take him on he's the one giving these fantasy ascents some vague credibility by saying he witnessed them.

account_inactive

• forum hero
#88 Re: News from Scott in Wales
April 15, 2009, 07:17:25 pm

:kiss1:

Red

• addict
#89 Re: News from Scott in Wales
April 15, 2009, 07:20:34 pm
is there really need for this? a bit harsh maybe?
I don't think you're remotely interested in my answer, are you?? Having already made up your own mind...

yes this was rhetorical

It is fair game that they have come under criticism for supporting Scott under the circumstances, but their website also contains content which is not related to this sorry furore. This content is relevant and inspiring for the 10-16 age group, and i don't know why his opinions or input on climbing (or my contributions for that matter) are any less relevant than yours Fiend. It is like slagging someone off because they have a nerdy hobby like World of Warcraft, or medieval role play, which wouldn't be fair, eh Fiend?

To reiterate, I appreciate that some of it is annoying and childish, but they have every right to say what they want, as long as they don't support any bull shitting or fantasist witterings on. I know we all like a good bitch but there is a lot of elitist banter that goes on on this forum which is not constructive or helpful when it comes to resolution.

If this slagging match means that the Red Tips guys lose their motivation, become disillusioned, close their site, climb less, stop visiting the wall or crags, or all of the above, then I for one would think it a very sad outcome to this debate

No hard feelings

benj_d

• menacing presence
#90 Re: News from Scott in Wales
April 15, 2009, 07:25:22 pm
I think i have said this before on another thread but I am 18 yrs old and consider myself to be an enthusiastic climber but i think their website is ridiculous. Its trying to make a little group of people out of climbing like all of these common "youth groups" like chavs, skaters... etc. the list goes on..

To enjoy climbing you dont need to post stuff on the internet about what you have been doing and climbing up buildings and saying things like 'man', 'dude' and 'sick' whenever you say anything. You just enjoy your climbing and get on with it.

tc

• junky
#91 Re: News from Scott in Wales
April 15, 2009, 08:00:15 pm

[/quote]

If this slagging match means that the Red Tips guys lose their motivation, become disillusioned, close their site, climb less, stop visiting the wall or crags, or all of the above, then I for one would think it a very sad outcome to this debate

[/quote]

Really? I think that would be an excellent outcome

Serpico

• forum hero
    • The Craig Y Longridge Wiki
#92 Re: News from Scott in Wales
April 15, 2009, 08:06:50 pm

Really? I think that would be an excellent outcome

If we'd stopped every arrogant, gobby teenager from climbing then we'd never have had Jerry Moffatt.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#93 Re: News from Scott in Wales
April 15, 2009, 08:12:15 pm
Do you think Jerry would have stopped climbing if people had taken the piss?

But the point is that the RedTips website is putting forward all of Scott's sends as News. 

And Fact x Importance = News.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#94 Re: News from Scott in Wales
April 15, 2009, 08:12:37 pm
Jerry sprayed about stuff he'd actually done.

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#95 Re: News from Scott in Wales
April 15, 2009, 08:17:43 pm
Jerry sprayed about stuff he'd actually done.

Sometimes even with witnesses, photogrpahs and lycra.

In fact that's what these boys need is some lycra with big rubber dicks shoved in their pants.

You can't beat a bit of spinal tap bouldering cross over.

This one goes up to V11

tc

• junky
#96 Re: News from Scott in Wales
April 15, 2009, 08:37:08 pm
I'm bored with this now,  :yawn:
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 08:47:46 pm by tc »

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#97 Re: News from Scott in Wales
April 15, 2009, 09:02:08 pm
Red's point is mature, coherent and balanced. Surely he should be writing to The Guardian?
As a News of the Screws reader I much prefer my invective to be personal and biased, preferably in my favour.
The lunatic enthusiasm of redring.com with confused reporting reminds me of those early copies of Crags I used to buy: great. The enthusiasm I mean, not the lunacy. If you can't make a tit of yourself when you're young, when can you?
I think Red has a good point: climbers are getting younger and consequently behave like, errh, youngsters sometimes can. In fact I now believe I'm nearly in my 20s again. I'm glad they're utterly psyched, just not to the point that mistakes with reality don't deserve a good slapping down. It never did me any harm.
Yours sincerely, Jim Perrin/Dennis Gray/Jon(rambles on incoherently..)

mrjonathanr

• forum hero
  • Getting fatter, not fitter.
#98 Re: News from Scott in Wales
April 15, 2009, 09:06:39 pm

To enjoy climbing you dont need to .... You just enjoy your climbing and get on with it.

:great:

benj_d

• menacing presence
#99 Re: News from Scott in Wales
April 15, 2009, 09:53:46 pm
10 points to anyone who can count how many different names have been used for red tips on this thread!  :P

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal