UKBouldering.com

evolv pontas? (Read 6568 times)

jay590

evolv pontas?
April 12, 2009, 08:38:16 am
What do people think of the evolv pontas? seems simlar the the velcro anasazi. Are they similar at all because i can try on the pontas but there is nowhere that sell 5.10.

jay

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#1 Re: evolv pontas?
April 12, 2009, 10:59:58 am
I think you would be better off rocking a pair of these:

hth  :whistle:

jay590

#2 Re: evolv pontas?
April 12, 2009, 11:01:48 am
are you saying there shit or are you just being a dick

Richie Crouch

• forum hero
  • G Time
#3 Re: evolv pontas?
April 12, 2009, 12:17:08 pm
They are similar to the 5.10 velcros as they had the same designer(s) that moved from 5.10 to evolv. I tried a pair out and wasn't massively impressed by the rubber compared to stealth/onyx and the heel wasn't amazing.

I would definitely recommend getting the velcros over the pontas or try out some 5.10 5X's which are amazing (I've plugged these before but they really are the best all-round shoe I have had). Is buying online an option if you are struggling to get any shoes other than evolv in your area? If you know what size you take I would do this.

jay590

#4 Re: evolv pontas?
April 13, 2009, 07:33:28 am
no i  dont realy want to buy online if i can help it.

(woz)

• forum abuser
#5 Re: evolv pontas?
April 13, 2009, 10:36:08 am
the pontas isn't in the same league as the 510 in terms of performance, but they are the most long lasting climbing shoes i have ever had, and very comfy. if you are buying them for hard bouldering, go for the 510, if they are for indoors/general bouldering then you will be more than happy with the pontas.

andy_e

• forum hero
#6 Re: evolv pontas?
April 13, 2009, 01:18:30 pm
I've found the Pontas to be the best shoe I've ever had- admittedly I've never had the Anasazi velcros so I can't compare them, but the heel on the pontas has fitted me better than any other shoe, the rubber has been excellent in my opinion, but they lost stiffness quite quickly...

milksnake

• menacing presence
#7 Re: evolv pontas?
April 15, 2009, 12:40:05 pm
i found the pontas to be rather dissapointing, felt good in the shop but when i started using them, they tended to twist around my foot when i used the outside edge. the rubber felt a bit below par too. have you tried these, http://cragx.com/boreal-falcon-p-2937.html?p=product , just bought a pair and they perform really well both on slabs and steep stuff.

John Cooke

• menacing presence
#8 Re: evolv pontas?
April 15, 2009, 01:24:18 pm
Better off putting stats to opinion

http://www.spadout.com/r/climbing-rubber-test/

shark

• Administrator
  • forum hero
  • insect overlord #1
#9 Re: evolv pontas?
April 15, 2009, 02:11:35 pm

Hi John

Nice link. Looks impressive science. Wish I was a (Well) Huang Fellow. As I read it they are raising a ramp till the rubber sample slides off. Isnt the real world performance of boot rubber more related to how it performs under pressure/weight/load.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#10 Re: evolv pontas?
April 15, 2009, 02:56:50 pm
Isn't the real world performance of boot rubber more related to how it performs under pressure/weight/load.

Yes, but the more factors you add in the harder it is to control them across tests, its a start though.

TomP

• obsessive maniac
    • www.tompeckittclimbing.com
#11 Re: evolv pontas?
April 16, 2009, 11:05:32 am
I wore nothing but the Pontas Velcros for ages. I love them and they have never let me down. As DWoz says, they last for ages too. Didn't really get on with the Pontas lace up though as they were a bit stiff. Fine once they were worn in.
Just got a pair of the new Bandits (with some pink on them a bit like the old Lasers) and I have to say they are the best shoe I've worn in a long time. I'm a bit biased towards them but I tried on some 5.10 lace up t'other day but genuinely prefered the Bandits.

John Cooke

• menacing presence
#12 Re: evolv pontas?
April 16, 2009, 01:15:52 pm

Hi John

Nice link. Looks impressive science. Wish I was a (Well) Huang Fellow. As I read it they are raising a ramp till the rubber sample slides off. Isnt the real world performance of boot rubber more related to how it performs under pressure/weight/load.

Sure, there are the obvious flaws but it's interesting non the less and the science is certainly all there. 

To be honest i find differences in rubber properties extremely marginal, if noticable at all. For example Red Chili rubber was just as good for me on Mecca as the Five Ten rubber i used when trying the extension post RC days, despite them not being as popular they were great shoes.

If anything i find it's the fit that's most critical. The Evolvs i climb in now fit amazingly well and the rubber is super sticky. If you're asking me if they're better or worse, who knows, but because they fit so well and perform brilliantly they definitely get a huge thumbs up.   :thumbsup:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal