UKBouldering.com

Jumping training... (Read 4636 times)

tomtom

• forum hero
Jumping training...
April 15, 2009, 12:06:06 pm
Hello,
This may seem like a bit of an odd query - but how would I go about being better at jumping - as in getting more height (lift) from a jump. I'm having a bit of a battle with Deliverance (see here) and I think I need to get more spring, lift, power etc.. from my legs.
Having a think about it I have not had to do any jumping since PE in school when I was about 14 - and my long scrawny sticks of legs dont seem to have that much power. Reach aplenty, but spring not much... I've had a bit of an internet trawl on this and some suggest doing some lifts to increase the power in my legs - but I'd rather get more speed (and thus spring) than this way (plus I hate gyms..)...
Any suggestions - aside from practicing jumping!!
THanks,
Tom

dave

#1 Re: Jumping training...
April 15, 2009, 12:13:24 pm
you probably just need to get doing dynos regularly, get the legs going and also tunes up your coordination. best thing is every time you go indoors do a few, since you can throw yourselves at things in a "safe" environment. get a mate to do some with you, competition is a great motivator for this kind of thing.  after a few weeks you should see an improvement. on deliverance however just windmill that left arm....

(the Matrix wall was always quite good for dynos with punter jugs everywhere, the Works is pretty poor for dynos in comparison).

duncan

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#2 Re: Jumping training...
April 15, 2009, 12:18:48 pm
Any suggestions - aside from practicing jumping!!

Practice jumping.  Training for speed of contraction is highly specific: getting stronger doesn't mean you'll get faster (more 'spring').

Google "sergeant jump".

account_inactive

• forum hero
#3 Re: Jumping training...
April 15, 2009, 12:42:32 pm
Try some of these

Don't fall asleep listening to his silky voice

Fiend

• _
  • forum hero
  • Abominable sex magick practitioner and climbing heathen
  • Whut
#4 Re: Jumping training...
April 15, 2009, 01:15:50 pm
Reckon there's more to this topic than meets the eye.

Speed? Thigh strength? Calf strength? Use of weights? Hmmm...

tomtom

• forum hero
#5 Re: Jumping training...
April 15, 2009, 01:24:36 pm
Reckon there's more to this topic than meets the eye.

Speed? Thigh strength? Calf strength? Use of weights? Hmmm...
Thanks for all the tips Gents. Fiend, yes I think there is more to this that many think...

There were several sets of pics of me trying the jump on Deliverance, and what was clear from those was that I was getting higher the lower down I squatted before the jump - I guess allowing me to get more push.

Over the last 2 weeks I have been practicing jumping nearly every day, and have yet to check any difference against a bench (or jump!) mark back home... My legs are definately not used to this (they ache after 10-15 jumps) and it doesnt feel like a strength thing, more of a speed - eplosiveness type issue, similar to Duncans points. I shall report whether or not there has been any difference! From my own 'training' over the last week or so its clear that my jumps improve considerably after quite a few warm up jumps

Whats interesting is that according to a couple of websites, swinging both arms (no can do on D) can give an extra 15% in height.. Looking again at the pics of me on Deliverance, I gained more height by pinching the pebble with my left which allowed me to squat down lower and get a better jump - as opposed to the plus from really being able to swing my arm up.

Tom

dave

#6 Re: Jumping training...
April 15, 2009, 01:40:18 pm
the other thing that will help on deliverance is being able to spring off your toes more, so foot/calf power rather then thighs etc.

if you're not getting more distance from swinging your arm your doing something wrong. simply the momentum of swinging the arm up should help you get more distance for a start, plus you should be able to wind-up lower with a windmill, and get your body closer to the rock and thus get more power through your legs into the footholds - keeping hold of a left handhold will likely push you outwards or otherwise hold you back at some point in the motion.

chummer

• forum abuser
#7 Re: Jumping training...
April 15, 2009, 03:42:29 pm
Learn how to skip (with a rope) it's amazin for hand-feet coordination and spacial awareness. I used to be shit at dynos, now I can dyno higher than anyone in my house.*

You need the help of Buddy Lee, the legend.

*footnote. I live with my girlfriend. She's 5ft 3" and doesn't climb.

nai

• forum hero
  • In my dreams
#8 Re: Jumping training...
April 15, 2009, 03:57:56 pm

There were several sets of pics of me trying the jump on Deliverance, and what was clear from those was that I was getting higher the lower down I squatted before the jump - I guess allowing me to get more push.

Looking at the pics you've posted it looks like you have generated a fiar amount of outward momentum, in the last shot it looks like your left foot has hardly moved upwards yet is a distance from the rock.  If you can concentrate on staying close to the rock and generating that movement as upwards momentum you'll be there.

richdraws

• obsessive maniac
#9 Re: Jumping training...
April 15, 2009, 04:39:51 pm
You could work depth jumps and such, dropping from a low box/step and immediately jumping again (as high as possible). This will help. Ignoring strength as part of the equation will result in smaller gains - so try the single leg squats too.

Though you do look like all you need is a little luck - you have quite a lot of height there.

tomtom

• forum hero
#10 Re: Jumping training...
April 15, 2009, 07:08:46 pm
Thanks for all the posts gents,
Based on these, I decided to try some SCIENCE......

Using the Sergeant Jump test (how high you can reach when jumping - how high you can reach from the ground) I rate at a paltry 38cm. This places me well in the poor/below average category (50 is average).
Note, This may be because I'm standing on tip toe for the static measurement - add another 6cm if its supposed to be on the flat of my feet.

After 10 days of jumping, I'm about 3-5 cm better than I was before (only a rough door frame guide for previous height).

Initially I was only jumping 36cm, but by concentrating on the spring in my ankles I managed to get consistently another 2 cm.

For those of you who like to compare stats etc... my static reach is 254cm + 38cm = total of 292cm...
I recon I need another 8cm to get Deliverance...

Averageman

• menacing presence
  • pushing hard and getting nowhere fast.
#11 Re: Jumping training...
April 20, 2009, 09:24:08 pm

For those of you who like to compare stats etc... my static reach is 254cm + 38cm = total of 292cm...

And on that note i will not even bother with Deliverance.
My static reach is 228cm +37 and for those who cant add, that = 265cm and one frustrated boulderer.

tomtom

• forum hero
#12 Re: Jumping training...
April 20, 2009, 09:46:09 pm

And on that note i will not even bother with Deliverance.
My static reach is 228cm +37 and for those who cant add, that = 265cm and one frustrated boulderer.
Thats for the tall persons method - for those with less lank the high foot lunge smear up way looks great (and a better move than the lank jump method!)

Averageman

• menacing presence
  • pushing hard and getting nowhere fast.
#13 Re: Jumping training...
April 21, 2009, 09:08:01 am

Thats for the tall persons method - for those with less lank the high foot lunge smear up way looks great (and a better move than the lank jump method!)
So there is light at the end of the tunnel.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal