UKBouldering.com

Competition scoring spreadsheets (Read 3421 times)

Palomides

• forum abuser
Competition scoring spreadsheets
March 20, 2009, 09:37:52 am
I spent a happy hour last night making some spreadsheet templates for scoring climbing competitions.

I searched in vain for something that would do what I wanted on the net, so I had to make them myself. This post is just to say that if anyone would like copies of these, let me know.

I have two types:

"Fixed" - fixed number of points per route/problem. Set the value of a route, then add names and '1's for successful completion to see the total scores. Updates everything if route values are changed.

"Variable" - This is the more interesting one. Set the initial value of each problem (currently at 1000) then put in everyones results. The final points value of a 'tick' is InitialValue/NumberofAscents. The spreadsheet calculates the final values of all problems and everyones final scores. This is the scoring system used in several French competitions, including this one - if you're interested you can download results from their site and see how it works in practise. Dividing the initial value by the number of ascents acts as a balance against incorrect setting/grading and also means that the winner can be either the strongest OR the fittest - doing one or two problems that no-one else has done can give a higher score than doing loads of problems.

All calculations are done using formulae (no macros) so although I used Excel to create the spreadsheets they should work in other applications (I tested them in gnumeric on linux as well as excel 2003 on winXP). They're a bit clunky, but maybe useful for someone.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal