UKBouldering.com

PC to Hi-fi options (Read 5087 times)

fried

• forum hero
PC to Hi-fi options
July 19, 2013, 07:38:52 am
Since my recent move my laptop is now too far from by hi-fi to connect by a standard cable. There seem to be plenty of options for wireless or bluetooth connectivity, but does anyone have any specific recomendations?

The reviews for a lot of the products are confusing.

I have a cheapo PC so, no buetooth, but I can always buy a dongle. The Hi-fi is about 5m from the PC. No, I don't want to move the laptop closer!
The amp has standard connectors at the back and a 3.5 jack at the front. It doesn't have a USB socket, but I have one on my Internet box.

All I want to do if play Mp3 from Itunes or check out the youtube selections on our lovely music threads.

sidewinder

• obsessive maniac
#2 Re: PC to Hi-fi options
July 19, 2013, 08:20:16 am
Even cheaper than a new cable, move your laptop closer to the hifi  ;)

fried

• forum hero
#3 Re: PC to Hi-fi options
July 19, 2013, 08:37:23 am
Buy a 5m cable?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5m-Twin-RED-WHITE-2x-RCA-PHONO-Stereo-3-5mm-Mini-Jack-STEREO-Audio-Aux-Cable-/330773084744

I just want to connect my hi-fi, not set up a slackline.

I'm fairly sure I mentioned in the OP that I  don't want to move my Laptop. I don't want to move my hifi either :jab:

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#4 Re: PC to Hi-fi options
July 19, 2013, 08:43:36 am
Johnny Brown kicked off a thread on this topic a couple of months back with some good responses.  It's either in the music thread or the technical one.

sidewinder

• obsessive maniac
#6 Re: PC to Hi-fi options
July 19, 2013, 08:52:01 am
I think Johnny Browns thread was for higher end solutions, I did look at this issue and was going to get
http://www.misco.co.uk/Product/202645/LINDY-USB-Wireless-Audio-Sender
which seemed to have some good reviews at the cheaper end.
However my gf then got an ipad giving the option of having either it, or my mac connected to the hifi, with the other being used to control the music 'remotely' (in reality from about 3m away).  In all seriousness the ipad solution (I presume any tablet would do) is quite a good one as you both get a way to wirelessly stream music/video and a tablet computer, which it turns out are good for about 99% of my home computer use.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#7 Re: PC to Hi-fi options
July 19, 2013, 09:21:11 am

I just want to connect my hi-fi, not set up a slackline.

assuming your pc has a 3.5mm out (headphones) socket

buy a 10m cable and fix it around the edge of the room

you might lose some quality, but it'll cost very little to find out if it's too much for your tastes

reviews aren't too bad - obviously some quality control issues
http://www.amazon.co.uk/electronics/dp/B000Q6JR1Q

That's £38 brief technolgy advice fee. Invoice in the post

underground

• forum hero
#8 Re: PC to Hi-fi options
July 19, 2013, 09:59:49 am
For mac and iPad/ phone, I've gone for Airport express- brilliant with airplay and acts as a wifi range extender too. The 3.5 output is a combined analogue / mini-TOSlink optical output

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#9 Re: PC to Hi-fi options
July 19, 2013, 11:50:32 am
I started a thread on this here: http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,21300.0.html

The a later one on speaker options here: http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,22444.0.html

In the end I got an Apple Airport Express for the hi-fi in the living room - so it can be used wirelessly. It works okay bit is not as solid a connection as I'd like for the price - and is susceptible to router connection issues even when you're playing from files not streams.

In the office I got a pair of Audioengine A1 active speakers. Can't really fault them , but a longer review is on the thread.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 12:16:20 pm by Johnny Brown »

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#10 Re: PC to Hi-fi options
July 19, 2013, 12:05:38 pm
I uploaded all our music to Google Play (thanks slackers) so now I can just stream it all through my phone to the stereo or car etc.

Works great and is a really nice easy interface to use (especially in comparison to iTunes  :shit: ).

fried

• forum hero
#11 Re: PC to Hi-fi options
July 19, 2013, 06:12:01 pm
Cheers people.

I think TT's soloution looks worth a shout, even though some of the reviews seem to reckon the sound quality a bit crap. I am a little tempted just to use a long cable but I need it to be at leasst 12m. The airport better bring me tea in bed in the morning for the price.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#12 Re: PC to Hi-fi options
July 19, 2013, 10:45:48 pm
I am a little tempted just to use a long cable but I need it to be at leasst 12m.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/3-5mm-Stereo-Plated-Connectors-Speakers/dp/B003K11VTU/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1374270197&sr=8-5&keywords=15m+3.5mm

for a couple of fuck-alls

international postage might cost more

fried

• forum hero
#13 Re: PC to Hi-fi options
July 22, 2013, 03:15:03 pm
The missus vetoed the long cable option. Although it was more the consultancy fee than the shipping costs that were the problem. I ordered this

http://www.amazon.fr/Logitech-Bluetooth-Adaptateur-haut-parleurs-dispositifs/dp/B0054QK514/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374502472&sr=8-1&keywords=logitech+wireless+music+adapter+bluetooth

Hope it's O.K.

rodma

• forum hero
#14 Re: PC to Hi-fi options
July 30, 2013, 05:39:47 pm
I uploaded all our music to Google Play (thanks slackers) so now I can just stream it all through my phone to the stereo or car etc.

Works great and is a really nice easy interface to use (especially in comparison to iTunes  :shit: ).

:2thumbsup:

Have just done the same, easy interface and an amazing amount of cloud storage, before i get shot down for this since it isn't strictly cloud storage, they couldn't find matches for most of my nonsense, so it took two full days to upload my files

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#15 Re: PC to Hi-fi options
July 30, 2013, 06:31:37 pm
It is cloud storage cos now your files are saved on their servers.

The clever bit from their point of view is that popular stuff is already there so they just match it instead of having to upload it each time it's part of someone's collection.

Mine took about 2 days too.

rodma

• forum hero
#16 Re: Re: PC to Hi-fi options
July 31, 2013, 07:23:59 am
It is cloud storage cos now your files are saved on their servers.

The clever bit from their point of view is that popular stuff is already there so they just match it instead of having to upload it each time it's part of someone's collection.

Mine took about 2 days too.

Interesting that the music i had in .flac they uploaded, rather than matching a lower quality version like what they sell in their shop.

I'm assuming that at some point in the not too distant future they'll have to do very little uploading

I'm still amazed by the amount of free storage you get.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal