UKBouldering.com

Laptop - Hifi connectivity (Read 10444 times)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
Laptop - Hifi connectivity
December 14, 2012, 03:14:06 pm
Have been researching this without much joy, thought I'd put it to the wisdom of UKB.

Nowadays I listen to 99% of my music through Spotify. In my office I have a pc hardwired to a router and speakers, which works fine. In the lounge we have a Macbook pro and an iPad, a Sony smart TV and a decent stereo. Currently I plug laptop or iPad in with a cable, but it seems a bit nineties and a pain.

So what's the best way to make Spotify come out of the stereo?

Options seem to be, in order of simplicity:

Longer cable.

Bluetooth receiver plugged in to Amp.

Apple airport (plus 3rd party app to allow audio stream outside iTunes. I hate iTunes, and much of Apple's system. Nice hardware though...)

Something else? Paul B tells me he has a NAS plugged into his router, and a Raspberry Pi running Linux plugged into his tv and stereo. Which means he can make stuff in the office come out of his stereo, whilst controlling it from his android phone. And yet he doesn't know if a chicken has lips.  :blink:

Any ideas, tips? I don't mind spending a few quid, though for £100 for an airport I'd expect it to do a bit more than this...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: Laptop - Hifi connectivity
December 14, 2012, 03:24:19 pm
What about a Squeezebox, I've read that some support Spotify.

cofe

• forum hero
#2 Re: Laptop - Hifi connectivity
December 14, 2012, 03:25:03 pm
Do Sonos do anything?

Incidentally, I think Airplay is great. The box itself is a little limited, but a great TV combo with an iPad. Not tried with non iTunes music.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#3 Re: Laptop - Hifi connectivity
December 14, 2012, 03:31:27 pm
What about a Squeezebox, I've read that some support Spotify.

Hmm, heard that, but after a cursory google they appear to be a) discontinued and b) primarily a digital radio, ie a box with built-in speakers.

Incidentally, I think Airplay is great. The box itself is a little limited, but a great TV combo with an iPad

Cheers, care to expand a bit on that? You're using an airport? What do you mean by 'TV combo' exactly?

cofe

• forum hero
#4 Re: Laptop - Hifi connectivity
December 14, 2012, 03:33:18 pm
Realised I'm on about something else: the Apple TV box (which does just audio too). So perhaps ignore me.

cofe

• forum hero
#5 Re: Laptop - Hifi connectivity
December 14, 2012, 03:39:53 pm

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#7 Re: Laptop - Hifi connectivity
December 14, 2012, 03:52:26 pm
Any use?

Cheers word, useful link. Still keen for any personal recommendations. Surely Obi is running something flash?

Andi, didn't I already crack that joke?

andy_e

• forum hero
#8 Re: Laptop - Hifi connectivity
December 14, 2012, 03:53:26 pm
Yeah, but I thought I'd save you the trouble of googling it. And it's only £3.99.

Paul B

• forum hero
#9 Re: Laptop - Hifi connectivity
December 14, 2012, 04:51:05 pm
Something else? Paul B tells me he has a NAS plugged into his router, and a Raspberry Pi running Linux plugged into his tv and stereo. Which means he can make stuff in the office come out of his stereo, whilst controlling it from his android phone. And yet he doesn't know if a chicken has lips.  :blink:

Basically all I can add to this is XBMC is amazing. Especially if you run it on beefier hardware (zotac nano etc.) so you can enjoy it in all its glory.

It seems there is a version that incorporates Spotify (spotyXBMC2) but it doesn't look to have a huge following so likely it'll be too much hassle. XBMC is multi-platform (Android, Linux, Win) so you can pick your poison with background headaches.

My little RasPi has turned a 15 year old TV into a smart TV with full on demand service, youtube, vimeo etc. as well as full metadata scraping for all of my media. Amazing for the cost. I believe Dobbins is doing a whole lot more and Stu is using his at work to control something much larger and likely more expensive!

All in all I'd suggest you probably want something with less faff but for anyone where the inner geek is trying to escape  :whistle:.

psychomansam

• forum hero
#10 Re: Laptop - Hifi connectivity
December 14, 2012, 05:47:46 pm
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25M-3-5mm-Male-Jack-to-M-Plug-Stereo-Audio-Lead-Cable-/250762824967?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item3a62a10d07  ;)

Well that made me chuckle. I'm not quite sure how the (it's on ebay so probably not) gold is supposed to make up for the stupid cable length?

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#12 Re: Laptop - Hifi connectivity
December 14, 2012, 06:46:18 pm
My Onkyo amp runs spotify.  Now, you might not want to go shelling out £500 on an amp, but if you were considering upgrading your surround sound system it's an awesome bit of kit. I listen to my music from my NAS, log in to spotify, and watch blu rays in surround all from the amp. Good bit of kit.

Well, I should say DID do all that as I couldn't justify lugging all that out to Chamonix.  :wavecry:

Obi-Wan is lost...

• forum hero
#13 Re: Laptop - Hifi connectivity
December 14, 2012, 07:15:28 pm
Surely Obi is running something flash?

I hate to admit it but I'm rather behind the times when it comes to Spotify, Last.fm etc. Not really got into them yet. My bro has one of these http://www.richersounds.com/product/wireless-streaming/denon/dnp720ae/deno-dnp720-blk
which works well but only with Last.fm currently. Weird as Denon support Spotify in their other products as AV amps.
http://www.spotify.com/uk/blog/archives/2012/09/05/introduce-spotify-to-your-denon-av-receiver/

Do you pay for Spotify? I think most of the hardware devices only work with a premium account.

If you don't mind still using the Mac or iPad an Airport Express is probably the cheapest option. A new one is about 80 notes but you might find the old version around 50 on the 'Bay.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l2736&_nkw=airport+express

benpritch

• forum abuser
#14 Re: Laptop - Hifi connectivity
December 14, 2012, 08:18:44 pm
i know you hate all things mac but this is what i've got and it is brilliant http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC414B/A/airport-express-base-station

benpritch

• forum abuser
#15 Re: Laptop - Hifi connectivity
December 14, 2012, 08:23:22 pm
and you'll need this http://www.rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/windows/ to stream audio from any app on your pc.

bigd942

• addict
#16 Re: Laptop - Hifi connectivity
December 14, 2012, 08:32:49 pm
Have tried a few different devices with this

Airplay Express - a bit buggy, needed restarting a few times and runs quite hot from memory, couldn't get it to run well without the router on
QED uPlay - kept losing it once paired with the sending device, possible a new version works better but mine ended up in the bin after a few e-mail from QED saying the product was perfect.
Belkin Bluetooth Music Receiver - great little device, good quality sound a never acts up been plugged in two years without an issue, what I'd recommend - some on eBay for £25 or so

http://www.belkin.com/uk/p/P-F8Z492

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#17 Re: Laptop - Hifi connectivity
December 14, 2012, 08:58:39 pm
Thanks chaps, Airport or bluetooth bridge looking like the easiest. I'm amazed there are no third party alternatives to Airport, be great if it just works but my experience with macs would suggest not; particularly concerned about compatibility with my OS (10.6.8) with the new airports.

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#19 Re: Laptop - Hifi connectivity
December 14, 2012, 11:21:11 pm
have you considered ditching spotify and using something else, maybe an easier solution that way?
I'm not clued up on any of this really as I'm a hard-wired freak.
Perhaps some sort of media center that can be controlled by laptop/phone/remote/what evers handy etc...

Why don't you put windows 7 on your mac book, it might just worktm a bit more?

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#20 Re: Laptop - Hifi connectivity
December 15, 2012, 12:11:59 am
I use airport express's as they have an audio out.  Spotify supports airplay and it works a treat. 

underground

• forum hero
#21 Re: Laptop - Hifi connectivity
December 15, 2012, 05:51:24 pm
I wholeheartedly agree with both Bens. An airport express is also a wifi range extender and gives you a wired Ethernet port wherever you choose to plug it in.

tomtom

• forum hero
#22 Laptop - Hifi connectivity
December 15, 2012, 06:11:46 pm
I've a little Belkin Bluetooth box that plugs into the Hifi.. It's about as big as a box of matches and works great.. Also works with the phone etc..

cheque

• forum hero
    • Cheque Pictures
#23 Re: Laptop - Hifi connectivity
December 15, 2012, 08:24:42 pm
Paul B tells me he has a NAS plugged into his router...

It's got to be cheaper just to play a recording of his music surely?  ;)

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#24 Re: Laptop - Hifi connectivity
December 17, 2012, 05:28:44 pm
Enlivened today's xmas shopping hell by buying an even-more-overpriced Airport in John Lewis. Setup was not without confusion, but its all working great now, and I've been home barely an hour. Pricey, but works great, thank for the advice folks!

have you considered ditching spotify and using something else?

Is something happening here? Are you guys the crew?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 05:39:14 pm by Johnny Brown »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal