UKBouldering.com

Recent wildlife sightings (Read 658434 times)

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#1400 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
June 24, 2014, 08:53:51 pm
Superb, I can remember seeing an adder (well I think it was an adder) swimming across a pool, a stunning sight, although not as stunning as pulling onto the top of a route at swannage about 3@ away from an adder that must have been 18' long and as thick as your leg, honest guvnor.

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
#1401 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
June 24, 2014, 11:13:41 pm
There are loads of adders on Dartmoor (saddle tor is a good bet on a hot day). My mum was so excited when she saw this. I think she was a little disappointed when we identified it as a grass snake.  :slap: Still a pretty thing though

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1402 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
June 25, 2014, 10:42:13 am
Paid a visit to RSPB Fowlsheugh late yesterday night on the way back from a friend's house. Criminal that I've not been before, it's an amazing place; guillemots, razorbills, puffins plus the usual assortment of gulls cover the cliffs, and the noise and smell are overpowering. Need to get back wheh it's in the sun on a morning and get some pics.

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#1403 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
June 28, 2014, 03:45:24 pm
While climbing in Les Perrons de Vallorcine yesterday a pair of cute little birds were flying around the wall. I think we must have climbed near their nest but they didn't seem alarmed. Has anyone got any idea of what they are?

underground

• forum hero
#1404 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
June 28, 2014, 04:57:06 pm
It might be a Wallcreeper
The BBC had a great piece on them on a Natural World programme recently called 'France: The Wild Side' http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01xd1p4

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#1405 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
June 28, 2014, 05:09:11 pm
I think we have a winner! Good knowledge, cheers. A very nice bird to watch flying around when you're climbing.

Nutty

• obsessive maniac
#1406 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
June 28, 2014, 05:15:07 pm
Saw 2 Dartford Warblers today (first time I've seen any) and a stone chat. Pleased with seeing the warblers.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#1407 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
July 04, 2014, 10:38:07 am
Good spot with the Dartford Warblers! Great tick...

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1408 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
July 04, 2014, 10:55:52 am
Dolphins in the sea when surfing, about 10 m away. Also some birds divebombing for fish really close by, no idea what they were possibly terns. Cool to see though.

rginns

• junky
  • Holds innit
    • Strongholds
#1409 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
July 04, 2014, 11:02:02 am
A fox ran away from me when I was in Stanworth the other day, I caught it by surprise. Bigger than I was expecting up close. I discovered the reason it was there when  came across the dead rabbit it has evidently just caught.

rodma

• forum hero
#1410 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
July 04, 2014, 12:05:04 pm
Saw this little (mahoosive) fella on a steel column yesterday and thought it was a hornet, but i had a google and found out that it was a type of horsefly.

Dark Giant Horsefly by rodma2000, on Flickr

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabanus_sudeticus

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1411 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
July 04, 2014, 12:42:10 pm
Yikes, how big was it? Saw an enormous fly in Wales once, tricky to identify but terrified a few present!

Love that Wallcreeper shot above, I saw one on the Grand Capucin a couple of times. Not afraid of altitude clearly!

rodma

• forum hero
#1412 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
July 04, 2014, 01:22:21 pm
its body was about 25mm long10mm wide, the column was 168 diameter and i have a crapper photo that i took from further away so was able to scale. in my head it was about two inches long and an inch across.

it's eyes must have been about 5mm in diameter, which is pretty massive really, here's a phot from above looking at it's rather cool looking eyes and terrifying mouthparts

DSCF8606 by rodma2000, on Flickr

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1413 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
July 07, 2014, 08:21:49 am
Evil looking bugger

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1414 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
July 07, 2014, 08:59:36 am
Saw a pheasant out walking by Derwent Reservoir yesterday, nothing unusual normally, but it had at least four chicks with it (didn't have my camera as I'd lent it to my brother to go and watch the cycling).

JackAus

• junky
#1415 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
July 07, 2014, 01:57:09 pm
Saw loads of whales yesterday, maybe humpbacks. Quite a few over the afternoon just surfacing for air but when I got to the crag at about noon, there were were a couple (I think, might've just been one) whales breaching a couple hundred metres off the rocks. Really cool to see. Can't remember ever seeing whales breach like that before. Dolphins, yeah loads, but never whales. They were coming way out of the water, turning and landing on their back.

rodma

• forum hero
#1416 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
July 10, 2014, 09:00:01 am
Saw loads of whales yesterday, maybe humpbacks. Quite a few over the afternoon just surfacing for air but when I got to the crag at about noon, there were were a couple (I think, might've just been one) whales breaching a couple hundred metres off the rocks. Really cool to see. Can't remember ever seeing whales breach like that before. Dolphins, yeah loads, but never whales. They were coming way out of the water, turning and landing on their back.

and here was me thinking that it was only facecrack that made me feel like I'm in the wrong place doing the wrong thing. happy fucking thursday   :'(

hey, wait a minute, that's nothing, i saw a fly once

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1417 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
July 10, 2014, 09:24:23 am
whales breaching a couple hundred metres off the rocks. Really cool to see.

I've seen them doing it in Hermanus in South Africa. Even at 500m away it's pretty spectacular.

tomtom

• forum hero
#1418 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
July 10, 2014, 09:29:24 pm
I saw the Queen today (I would class her as wildlife ;) ) go past Matlock Bath station (in a train) at 5mph...

Not being a royal watched/fan/afficionado I would like to add that my reason for beig there was waiting to meet someone in the car park for a days fieldwork...

mark20

• junky
#1419 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
July 22, 2014, 03:54:16 pm
I saw a bird of prey near the parking in Tideswell Dale last week, near those little limestone outcrops by the road. Was a reddish brown, white underneath, bigger than a Kestrel but not massive, either a Buzzard or small Red Kite?

JackAus

• junky
#1420 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
July 23, 2014, 01:39:40 am
Saw an echidna the other day. It was crossing a fairly busy road so I pulled over and herded it of into the bush. About the size of a soccer ball. Immediately tried to flatten out and hide when I approached it, not very effective when it was on the road!! Fucken big spikes!

Nutty

• obsessive maniac
#1421 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
July 23, 2014, 01:34:21 pm
I saw a bird of prey near the parking in Tideswell Dale last week, near those little limestone outcrops by the road. Was a reddish brown, white underneath, bigger than a Kestrel but not massive, either a Buzzard or small Red Kite?

Was this flying or perched? Red kites don't have a white body, though they have white on the wings and tail. There are some in the Peak District but wouldn't be as common as buzzards or kestrels. They do perch in trees occasionally but are generally seen soaring when their forked tail makes them unmistakeable. Buzzard's plumage can vary quite a lot and you do get quite pale ones. Female kestrels are noticeably bigger than the male, and don't have the grey head of the male and fit your description - could be a possibility? Female sparrowhawks are brown with a white barred front, but more of a dark brown than a reddish brown.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1422 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
July 23, 2014, 01:39:29 pm
Saw an echidna the other day.

8) and well done on making sure it had safe passage across the road.

mark20

• junky
#1423 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
July 23, 2014, 05:18:44 pm

Was this flying or perched? Red kites don't have a white body, though they have white on the wings and tail. There are some in the Peak District but wouldn't be as common as buzzards or kestrels. They do perch in trees occasionally but are generally seen soaring when their forked tail makes them unmistakeable. Buzzard's plumage can vary quite a lot and you do get quite pale ones. Female kestrels are noticeably bigger than the male, and don't have the grey head of the male and fit your description - could be a possibility? Female sparrowhawks are brown with a white barred front, but more of a dark brown than a reddish brown.

Thanks good info. It was perched then flew off, at about eye level so was hard to get a good look at it, especially the tail. It's wings were much more 'fingery' like that of a Kite/Buzzard rather than more pointed like a Kestrel though.

andyd

• forum hero
    • https://vimeo.com/user14959179
#1424 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
August 07, 2014, 10:31:51 am
Heard some funny snorting noises at dusk the other night. We were paddling the boat near the tidal weir on the river Dart in S.Devon.
I turned around to see a seal having a good old snort and look at us about 4 metres from the boat. It played around for a few minutes more then disappeared. Really special. This kind of eclipsed the fact that my tally of kingfisher sightings had reached 21 since the end of May :2thumbsup:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal