UKBouldering.com

Recent wildlife sightings (Read 658368 times)

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1100 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
November 20, 2012, 11:27:36 am
 :o I think I saw a Tiger-snake slithering away into the under-growth whilst climbing at Mount Frankland (Western Australia).  I was in no hurry whatsoever to check its ID!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1101 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
November 20, 2012, 11:28:44 am
That's not a life used up, it's just a near miss! We were walking on the Transkei Coast once and a friend of mine nearly stepped on a puffadder, and did an impressive backwards leap off one foot. It's amazing what adrenalin can do for you!

I was walking up a boulder strewn hill once (a koppie for those in the know) and nearly stepped on one and managed to cover about 50m back down the hill before I became conscious of what I was doing. It's wierd how that primeval flight instinct when seeing a snake must still be hotwired into the human brain.

DaveC

• junky
  • Old skool...with emphasis on the "old".
#1102 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
November 20, 2012, 11:36:00 am
That's not a life used up, it's just a near miss!

I know, I know. T'is nice to know the reflexes are still in reasonable order at 49 though. Many years ago I actually walked on the tail of an Eastern Brown Snake up at the local cragging area. THAT was a life used up as they are notoriously aggressive and one of the most venomous snakes on the planet (#4 or 5 IIRC.)
The snake-catcher who came tonight described dealing with a Tiger Snake as being like handling a 45 year-old ex-boxer who has taken one too many punches compared with the Eastern Brown being a 25 year-old martial arts master.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1103 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
November 20, 2012, 11:42:08 am
Sounds like comparing a puffadder to a brown mamba. I'd take a puffaddrer bite any day, at least you aren't dead in a couple of hours when bitten if untreated. Parallell evolution - it's a funny old thing!

DaveC

• junky
  • Old skool...with emphasis on the "old".
#1104 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
November 20, 2012, 11:56:21 am
Of course the disturbing bit here is that this was in my front garden, less than 10 metres from my front door. I expect to encounter these things when out in the bush but I'd rather not have to contend with them when mowing the lawn or doing a bit of pruning!

andy_e

• forum hero
#1105 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
November 20, 2012, 12:01:00 pm
Yeah yeah yeah, well I once saw a slow-worm slither across a path!

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#1106 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
November 20, 2012, 12:01:09 pm
managed to cover about 50m back down the hill before I became conscious of what I was doing. It's wierd how that primeval flight instinct when seeing a snake must still be hotwired into the human brain.

I performed a similar feat after breaking a handhold and landing in 2ft of water over a coral reef in between a couple of sea snakes (attracted by the blood from fish I'd cut up) - I sprinted across the reef, seemingly on top of the water in a Roadrunner style (or like juvenile ducks do sometimes). The blood pissing from my hand turned out to be due to a large shard of coral/shell sticking out of my flesh. Exciting end to a day's fishing.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1107 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
November 20, 2012, 12:05:43 pm
I take it that wasn't in the local reservoir?

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#1108 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
November 20, 2012, 01:25:55 pm
nope, Thailand

couple of miles from the nearest people

good fishing spot

Durbs

• forum hero
#1109 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
November 20, 2012, 02:22:55 pm
I was told by locals, that although sea-snakes are highly venomous, they can't open their mouths wide enough to easily bite a human. Kids in Indonesia play with them like sliknky springs...

El Mocho

• forum abuser
#1110 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
November 20, 2012, 02:30:02 pm
When climbing in Aus (or maybe SA can't remember) doing a trad route and grabbed a pocket, pocket made hissing sound, fired myself away from wall like a jack in the box. Didn't even think about where the last runner was. Belayer was a bit surprised.

andy_e

• forum hero
#1111 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
November 20, 2012, 02:31:27 pm
A snake fell down the crag next to the route I was climbing in El Chorro, about 5 metres to my left, fell about 30 metres and slithered away. Could have landed on me or my belayer!

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1112 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
November 20, 2012, 02:35:46 pm
When climbing in Aus (or maybe SA can't remember) doing a trad route and grabbed a pocket, pocket made hissing sound, fired myself away from wall like a jack in the box. Didn't even think about where the last runner was. Belayer was a bit surprised.

Never had that, but had a gecko wriggling at my fingertips when grabbing a flake hold. I didn't let go though, and when I took my hand out its tail came with it.

Carnage

• forum hero
  • Pommie Bastard
#1113 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
November 20, 2012, 10:23:51 pm
Yeah- I've had the gecko thing happen to me before. I grabbed a horizontal break and felt something squishy right at the back, which was making a weird hissing sound. Had little look and there in the back was gecko. I almost squashed the bat in the below pic too:

I've been in the Grampians for the last week and saw the usual Kangaroos, emu's, lizards, a small snake and, for the first time an Echidna, which was very cool.

jern

• menacing presence
#1114 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
November 20, 2012, 11:22:05 pm
Had my first real brown snake (not a dirt snake) encounter the other day in the Grampians. Almost became a very close encounter when some south african twunt lobbed a stick at it 'to scare it away'  -he overshot and sent Mr Brown straight back at us.  Luckily, I had two children with me to use as shields.

Ten minutes later I nearly stood on an Echidna. Saw another Echidna two days later at Arapiles - very good place to spot them in my experience.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

Dolly

• forum hero
#1116 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
March 07, 2013, 03:07:27 pm
I see the webcam link warns that there might be disturbing images.
Do they mean, y'know peregrine sex ?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1117 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
March 07, 2013, 03:11:32 pm
That and pigeons being ripped to shreds whilst still alive if the ground underneath was anything to go by last year.

blacky

• addict
#1118 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
March 07, 2013, 03:52:56 pm
How do you know they were still alive?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1119 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
March 07, 2013, 04:09:17 pm
I've not seen any yet, but it would be an obliging bird if it died instantly on being caught.

Even if they're dead I'd imagine there will be some sensitive souls who aren't au fait with seeing nature red in tooth and claw.

The bones on the ground last year were definitely dead.

Yoof

• menacing presence
#1120 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
March 07, 2013, 06:10:07 pm
Had a real birdy day in Cardiff's parks, saw a Heron, two Cormorants, two mallards drakes sort of diving and screeching synchronously (anyone who knows about duck behavior care to shed some light? I'm just guessing it's some part of courtship). Tick of the day had to be two Goosanders (according to the RSPB website they should have been further upstream than they were).  ;D

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1121 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
March 07, 2013, 06:47:43 pm
Always nice to see Goosanders. Mallard drakes seem to totally lose it this time of year due to hormones and will rape anything that resembles a female. Youtube is full of footage of Mallard gang rapes posted by horrified citizens, including one several best termed 'mallard homosexual necrophilia'. Not that I go looking for that kind of thing. Honest.

Edit: ah sod it, its all educational. Here you go:

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#1122 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
March 07, 2013, 11:40:53 pm
 :clap2:
I love the deadpan.
"After 75 minutes, I had seen enough"

andy_e

• forum hero
#1123 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
March 08, 2013, 09:18:54 am
Always nice to see Goosanders.

I agree, saw one at Shaftoe a month or two back but it flew off before we could get a good luck at it.

SamT

• forum hero
#1124 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
March 08, 2013, 09:33:41 am

Full on 'Monarch of the Glen' stag staring out of the trees at me under froggatt (by the wiggly bit heading up before the armco bend at the top) at night a couple of weeks back.  Saw two eyes gleaming back out from the headlights and thought - 'they seem unusually wide apart'  then saw it as I went past.  Massive. 

Glad it wasn't stood in the middle of the road mind.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-21688447

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal