UKBouldering.com

Recent wildlife sightings (Read 658338 times)

SamT

• forum hero
#1000 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
June 15, 2012, 06:31:26 pm
SamT, I'm pretty jealous you went to Eigg even without the dolphins. What did you get up to?

Sat around on the beach having a picnic with the kids and some highland moo cows for an hour and half and got the ferry back again.  Unfortunately - no climbing - though the An Sgurr (however the hell you pronounce that!) looked fantastic, its smooth walls beckoning in the sunlight.  Not really up to "The Nose" though!!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1001 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
June 17, 2012, 12:59:20 pm
Out walking yesterday in around Alport the pissing rain and came across a pair of Canadian Geese that were protecting their youngster from soaking wet walkers (not many others out unsurprisngly!)

Gosling by slack---line, on Flickr

Protection by slack---line, on Flickr

Quite surprised as I didn't realise they'd been introduced to the UK and thought they were only seen here whilst migrating.

Gritlad

• obsessive maniac
  • I'm not actually much of a lad.
#1002 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
June 17, 2012, 08:51:59 pm
nice photos slackers.
Saw a Ring Ouzel, something brown and medium size fly into the moor (grouse i assume) and also 2 or 3 Curlows too  :)

ianv

• forum abuser
#1003 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
June 18, 2012, 09:49:27 am
Riding in the alps at the moment, in the last few days I have seen: two eagles in their nest,  some chamois, a lynx cub (or something similar) and a wolf. Psyched about seeing a wolf in the wild :thumbsup:

peewee

• obsessive maniac
  • Wilko Baggins
  • If in doubt, Lock it out (Dynamically)
#1004 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
June 23, 2012, 06:45:04 pm
Nothing special but got a good snap of one of the rats with bushy tails earlier.

Furry thing.. by p.wilks.t21, on Flickr

IMG_3288.jpg by p.wilks.t21, on Flickr

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#1005 Recent wildlife sightings
June 26, 2012, 08:32:59 am
Just walking round Stanley Park which is literally a stones throw from Goodison Park and there's a pair of Great Crested Grebe with two youngsters! Most surprised given the urban nature of the surroundings!

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#1006 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
July 03, 2012, 10:56:36 pm
Saw some Red Kites while bouldering up Glen Lednock the other day. Nearly ticked a 7B too, so keen to get back to finish it off and maybe get some Red Kite photos. Very majestic!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#1007 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
July 03, 2012, 11:22:30 pm
. Very majestic!

What your climbing or the kites? How is walk in now?

Fultonius

• forum hero
  • Was strong but crap, now weaker but better.
    • Photos
#1008 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
July 03, 2012, 11:26:34 pm
You've seen me climb, right? 

Walk in is alright. I'm sure it seems long if you're used to parking up at the damn, but it's only 20 minutes anyway.

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#1009 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
July 06, 2012, 11:25:42 am
Psyched about seeing a wolf in the wild

Not sure if I have or not, although probably not. Last spring there were reports of a wolf sighting in the Bavarian Alps. No known permamently resident wolves there, must have strayed in from further south. Anyway, I was in the area walking through a fairly remote bit of forest, when *something* broke cover in front of me and ran away. My first reaction - "oh look, a rather large, somewhat greyish fox" - was probably 100% correct, but there is some doubt at the back of my mind.

In the same area a few weeks ago, a rather more definite sighting. Roe deer mother and kid on the track in front of me. Somehow they don't notice me until I'm about twenty metres away. Roe deer have a tactic: mum runs off into the undergrowth making lots of noise; kid cowers on the floor. Predator is presumably supposed to chase mum, hopefully without success, and be distracted from kid camouflaged on the forest floor. Which, however, works less well when kid is cowering the middle of a path. Venison for dinner. I made myself scarce as quickly as possible in the hope that mum would come back soon.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#1010 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
July 06, 2012, 11:52:23 am
Nearly forgot about this and it's not the best photo but spotted what I think is probably a red eared terrapin in the local park lake the other day..

Untitled by Fattneck, on Flickr

It's actually not that uncommon and I've certainly seen them bigger than that before. Are they common elsewhere or is it just a scouse mutant ninja thing?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#1011 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
July 06, 2012, 12:44:04 pm
I don't think they can breed in UK waters, so yeah they tend to be a relic of post mutant ninja dumpings. Pretty long lived though, there was a big one at WMD but I've not seen it for years.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#1012 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
July 06, 2012, 01:14:30 pm
It was nice to see a couple of water voles on the Derbyshire Wye last weekend

not seen one for ages

DaveC

• junky
  • Old skool...with emphasis on the "old".
#1013 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
August 02, 2012, 12:41:51 pm
One of the regulars along the creek behind us is a Black-Shouldered Kite and I finally caught him a couple of times resting on an old conifer a couple of doors away from us.

He's actually only about 8 feet from our local magpie's nest so not surprisingly, he got set upon by both of the adults once nesting season came around (started this week.) Haven't seen him/her since.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1014 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
August 02, 2012, 12:52:42 pm
Hundreds of seabirds off the coast near us on Wedesday. Often see sandeel schools surfacing at this time of the year and a few dozen birds going for them, but this was about 50 sq m of sea and loads of birds going mad for them. Looked like an upwelling of water, hopefully might mean a warm spell.

Yoof

• menacing presence
#1015 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
August 11, 2012, 11:47:53 am
Mayhaps a bit late to be recent but the other week I was slowly walking towards a seal to take photos and just got to the appropriate distance when a sea otter hopped out of the water and began to eat a fish right next to the seal! The seal was so surprised it jumped. Have a gander.
 http://www.flickr.com/photos/82111568@N02/7671755182/#in/photostream/

Then yesterday I was up in Northumbria going to Kyloe-in when a hare lolloped down the track to about 20m from me, stopped, looked at my bright blue t-shirt, and then proceeded to come within 4m of me! :D

Nature loves me, and I it.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#1016 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
August 11, 2012, 01:52:57 pm
Sea otter's a great spot! Nice one Yooth!

I was fishing with the wife on Wednesday evening when a Sparrowhawk flew round the tree I was sat next to and landed on my pole! It took a rather shocked look at me (I must have looked fairly shocked myself!) and flew off. Pretty much overshadowed the fishing! ;D

dave

#1017 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
August 11, 2012, 03:57:11 pm
Saw a deer in borrowdale yesterday, and then two red squirrels eating nuts by buttermere this morning.

AndyR

• forum hero
#1018 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
August 11, 2012, 05:20:50 pm
Mayhaps a bit late to be recent but the other week I was slowly walking towards a seal to take photos and just got to the appropriate distance when a sea otter hopped out of the water and began to eat a fish right next to the seal! The seal was so surprised it jumped. Have a gander.
 http://www.flickr.com/photos/82111568@N02/7671755182/#in/photostream/

I didn't think sea otters lived in the UK? They're a Pacific species aren't they? You do find normal river otters feeding along the shoreline, though I think they have to keep going back to freshwater to clean their fur. Good photo though.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#1019 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
August 12, 2012, 11:14:24 am
I've seen otters and otter holes nowhere near fresh water; reiff, north uist, and entrance to loch broom. I think you are right that sea otters are a pacific species but I don't think they need fresh water. These are tiny compared to the ones in Vancouver aquarium.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#1020 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
August 12, 2012, 11:42:29 am
Saw a load of Coypu in a canal running alongside the Rhone last week.  Quite cute in a way but if you have a rat phobia then I suspect you'd shit yourself if you saw some.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#1021 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
August 12, 2012, 12:30:15 pm
Two big deers at the boulders yesterday. Seemed not too scared when they first saw me, but as I moved they jumped away.

fatboySlimfast

• forum hero
#1022 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
August 12, 2012, 03:04:48 pm
Little owl hunting at dusk on the moor above wardlow

Yoof

• menacing presence
#1023 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
August 12, 2012, 07:13:52 pm
I didn't think sea otters lived in the UK? They're a Pacific species aren't they?
Ooops, my bad. Thanks for the knowledge  :2thumbsup:
Good photo though.
Thank you  ;D

AndyR

• forum hero
#1024 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
August 12, 2012, 07:22:42 pm
I've seen otters and otter holes nowhere near fresh water; reiff, north uist, and entrance to loch broom. I think you are right that sea otters are a pacific species but I don't think they need fresh water. These are tiny compared to the ones in Vancouver aquarium.
Yep - we get both types along the west coast here - saw several pacific sea otters up the mid-BC coast this week whilst out sea fishing (along with humpback whales and some very big salmon) - they very rarely go on land. The regular type (lutra lutra) are often on shore (and like to eat their catch on moored boats - otter shit is no fun...), but I believe have to periodically go to fresh water to groom and remove salt from their fur.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal