UKBouldering.com

Recent wildlife sightings (Read 658364 times)

grumpycrumpy

• junky
  • metrosexual redneck
#700 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
November 25, 2010, 05:55:13 pm
Had a good day birding last weekend with an RSPB mate along the Norfolk coast. Got 71 on the sheet & even twitched an American Golden Plover, a life tick so I'm told.

Bloody hell ...... Nice one  :great:

jcm

• player
#701 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
November 26, 2010, 01:32:32 am
Good grief, those owl pictures are amazing. Congratulations. (The fish ones probably are too but I'm not so interested in fish.)

A couple of great crested grebes have arrived on my local lake. Nothing to shout about, of course, but it pleases me; makes a change from the usual coots and ducks.

tregiffian

• stalker
  • Struggling
#702 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
November 26, 2010, 08:18:47 pm
Not very recent (1987) but Sammy`s Slab at Hella Point was named after a very interested spectator six feet offshore from the belay ledge.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#703 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
November 26, 2010, 11:59:26 pm
Good grief, those owl pictures are amazing. Congratulations. (The fish ones probably are too but I'm not so interested in fish.)

I was just about to punter you and call you an idiot, but realised that you meant only that you are more interested in birds than fish and not that you have no interest in fish (that's me thinking the best of people posting on 'tinterweb).

Plus, you appreciate the arrival of great crested grebes. Always nice to see these lovely birds  :thumbsup:

(do we have a Dead Interesting Birds Who Go Diving thread yet?)

Have a Grebe Club hug  :hug:

grumpycrumpy

• junky
  • metrosexual redneck
#704 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
November 27, 2010, 10:11:27 am
Best place I've found for sighting Great Crested Grebes is the old docks next to Excel .......

Personally , when it comes to dead interesting birds who go diving I'm a big fan of Gannets ...... 

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#705 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
November 27, 2010, 06:32:15 pm
I get my daily dose of Goosander on my walk along the Dee on the way to work every moring,

Brolly

• regular
    • The Depot
#706 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
December 01, 2010, 11:52:18 am
Tlr loving the underwater shots, just back from Egypt myself after a weeks diving.   We did take my other half's cybershot and underwater housing to the Galapagos a few years ago, got some ok shots (there in my flick account) but the camera wasn't up to it, the light wasn't good and the ripping currents didn't help.  The sharks where good though!!

Cheers to everyone for the nice owl comments will head up there again soon.

Did see quite a lot of wildlife in Egypt above the water.  The most impressive where the black kites and the ospreys.  The black kites seemed to fly round a land fill tip about a mile from the hotel.

Egyptian Black Kite by Brolly99, on Flickr

Black Kite in Sharm el Sheikh by Brolly99, on Flickr

There's a few more on my flickr account too. 

Cheers Ol

match

• regular
#707 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
December 01, 2010, 05:17:10 pm
Had a good day birding last weekend with an RSPB mate along the Norfolk coast. Got 71 on the sheet & even twitched an American Golden Plover, a life tick so I'm told.

Bloody hell ...... Nice one  :great:

Norfolk is bloody amazing for birding! Used to go there regularly for family hols when my Gran lived in Hunstanton. This October for my Mum's 64th we had a memory-lane-style holiday, staying at Wells YHA, and it was the shit - Pallas's Warblers, Yellow-browed Warbler, Cranes, Grey Phalarope, Pec. Sand., Lapland Bunting etc., plus all the fantastic regular stuff like Hen + Marsh Harrier, Bearded Tit, Twite, Snow Bunt. blah blah blah. Fantastic.

Also, there is a brilliant real ale shop just south of Wells on the Fakenham road, tons (sp?) of local brews, and the Red Lion at Stiffkey rules  ;D

More recently - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-11727552
4000 miles through Atlantic storms, and you end up in sodding Rochdale. Gutted  ;)

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#708 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
December 01, 2010, 09:03:13 pm
Large flock of Redwings at the Roaches on Sunday. Three or four groups of 25-50 birds gathered at dusk above the spring boulders and lower tier before flocking and buggering off over the back Northwards.

Brolly

• regular
    • The Depot
#709 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
December 02, 2010, 04:51:37 pm
Had a great trip out this aft.  Saw my first long eared owls.  They where quite distant over a large frozen pond hence the large crop and loss of detail, but still great to see.

Long eared owl @ Fairburn by Brolly99, on Flickr

Below is one of the Osprey shots I got on Sunday in Egypt, bit of a funny angle and I was stood in waist deep water to get the shot (it was on a private beach and I got chucked off by security!!).

Opsrey on a ships mast (from the other side) by Brolly99, on Flickr

Theres some more on flickr too.
Cheers Ol

Brolly

• regular
    • The Depot
#710 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
December 07, 2010, 09:29:14 pm
Did another visit to Worlaby Carrs last week.  Bit of an epic over that way in the deep snow, but worth it for the viewings of short eared owls.

Short eared owl flying in the snow by Brolly99, on Flickr

Short Eared Owl in Flight by Brolly99, on Flickr

Short eared owl @ Worlaby 3rd Dec by Brolly99, on Flickr

Saw some bearded tits for the first time the other day, but no photos.

Cheers Ol

Paul B

• forum hero
#711 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
December 07, 2010, 09:31:47 pm
That first pic is incredible!

Bonjoy

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Leafy gent
#712 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
December 08, 2010, 08:31:50 am
Flock of Waxwings in the garden on Saturday, marvelous.

match

• regular
#713 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
December 08, 2010, 09:00:54 am
Did another visit to Worlaby Carrs last week.  Bit of an epic over that way in the deep snow, but worth it for the viewings of short eared owls.

Brolly, are you a professional photographer? Your shots are truly stunning.

Fabulous SEOwls, not seen one for a while. Nice one on the Bearded Tits too, funky little things.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#714 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
December 08, 2010, 09:18:41 am
Owl shots are phenomenal, what lens are you using?

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
  • High Rocks? Best crag in the country mate.....
    • John Horscroft - Writer
#715 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
December 08, 2010, 09:23:00 am
Bloody hell!  If you lot aren't careful, climbers will lose there reputation as the bird-murdering scourge of the RSPB...  :spank:

nice owl shots Brolly.....  ;)

Brolly

• regular
    • The Depot
#716 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
December 08, 2010, 08:18:27 pm
Cheers all for the feedback. 

I have been working really hard on my photography (I'm not a professional by any means just enjoy it) as I've had a bust ankle since July so no climbing but I'm able to hobble around most bird/wildlife areas!

SA Chris nearly all my bird shots are with a canon 100-400L, but I probably have my macro lens on just as much (probably half my shots on flickr).

Did manage to get a couple of reasonable shots today including my first tawny owl near Harewood.

Cheers Ol

SpanishJuan

• obsessive maniac
  • two dumplings short of a stew
  • punter
#717 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
December 08, 2010, 11:35:36 pm
Bloody hell!  If you lot aren't careful, climbers will lose there reputation as the bird-murdering scourge of the RSPB...  :spank:
nice owl shots Brolly.....  ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :agree:

SA Chris

• forum hero
#718 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
December 09, 2010, 11:19:18 am
I've had a bust ankle since July

Not the best year then. You might have to fight Paul B or Fultonius for the Unlucky Alf award.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#719 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
December 13, 2010, 09:36:31 am
Did a ski tour yesterday, felt like spring. Loads of deer, artic hares, grouse and ptarmigan about, felt like spring.

Me trying to get a decent photo of ptarmigan with crap P&S camera.

Will Hunt

• forum hero
  • Superworm is super-long
    • Unknown Stones
#720 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
December 25, 2010, 12:18:06 pm
A Kea

Eating field equipment

Muenchener

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#721 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
December 25, 2010, 05:07:35 pm
Well now. A few weeks ago there were reports of a wolf in the Bavarian Alps. This is not normal: there *are* a handful of wolves in the wild in Bavaria, but they are in the forests on the Czech frontier, not in the Alps. But apparently one had wandered in from somewhere.

I was out for a walk in the general area, somewhere in the deep forest with nobody around, when I was startled by an animal suddenly breaking cover just ahead of me and running away at top speed. "Hey", I thought, "that's a large and rather greyish fox". A large and rather greyish fox is most probably exactly what it was, and I can't imagine a wolf would accidentally let a human being get within a few feet of it before being startled and running off. But you never know.

SA Chris

• forum hero
#722 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
December 25, 2010, 09:26:02 pm
A Kea

And there was me thinking it was a Swedish Furniture Store.

clm

• forum hero
#723 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
December 25, 2010, 10:07:06 pm
where did you get those invisible skis chris?
Theres a photo of an alpine chough on my flickr that i tempted with cheese. I dont know how to link to it via this crappy phone.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#724 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
December 28, 2010, 10:57:55 pm
Never one to see very much yomping my way about especially on 'nature' trails. Came to a stop in a small opening on the Merritt's nature trail to take in the view along the side of the mountains above Thredbo, Snowy Mountains. Looked down and saw a rather thickset black spider right beside my foot. I jumped like a girl. This spider was about 5cm in diameter and had reared up its front legs in a rather aggressive posture. Wish I'd taken a photo but I was too keen to disappear. Funnel-web is my guess but I could be wrong.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal