UKBouldering.com

Recent wildlife sightings (Read 658347 times)

Drew

• forum hero
  • Am I really a
#550 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
June 04, 2010, 11:25:37 pm
I saw a large Adder at Curbar today, it went across the path in front of me, just after the gate near the Trackside Boulder.
It let out the biggest hiss ever.  Never seen one before, awesome!

Me too! Probably not the same one but on the footpath to Froggatt, noticed something slinking across in front of me, focussed on it, and noticed the stripey diamond pattern. Suffice to say I stopped very suddenly and let it pass by. First time I've ever seen one. Which was nice.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#551 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
June 05, 2010, 12:36:13 pm
Mr Lamacraft - I think you're right! I had checked my guide book against the photo but hadn't studied other sources (RSPB website for one) and the slight whiteness under the chin is the give away I suppose! I'm actually pleased it's a Goosander as that was my on the spot feeling and I only changed my mind when looking at my guide book! Cheers for the knowledge.

Psyched for some adder spotting on the Lleyn this summer! Keep up the top info guys...

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#552 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
June 05, 2010, 01:03:30 pm

Was nice to hear some Cuckoos in the Peak this morning, don't hear so many these days.

mini

• forum abuser
  • A not so
#553 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
June 06, 2010, 09:50:48 am

Was nice to hear some Cuckoos in the Peak this morning, don't hear so many these days.

Agreed, heard a couple whilst wandering over The Roaches yesterday, which was nice.

Was also nice to see a female bullfinch hunting high and low for potential nesting sites around my yard and garden this morning. Shame she missed the bird box in direct view of my kitchen window, would be lovely to see a family fledge whilst washing the dishes!

FruityPebble

• Climbing Explained
#554 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
June 06, 2010, 10:37:50 am

I saw a large Adder at Curbar today

Nice! There are a few about around there but they're pretty shy. I've seen loads but I've yet to hear one hiss. Maybe I'm not looking at them right?
[/quote]

Ha ha, my look was probably one of shock, amazement with a bit of fear and curiosity mixed in.  Not easy to perfect.   ;D

Falling Down

• forum hero
    • bensblogredux
#555 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
June 06, 2010, 12:40:18 pm
Hi Dave - Nice of you to join us  :thumbsup:

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#556 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
June 10, 2010, 04:00:20 pm
Saw a Pine Marten by the road in Val Masino last week. Nice to see as we ran over the only other pine marten I have seen, in the Cairngorms. Also some good close views of black kites on the way to the airport, and lots of black redstarts round the boulders.

dave

#557 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
June 10, 2010, 04:06:35 pm
I saw a slowworm under that 7c+ the opposite end of tarzan boulder too.

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#558 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
June 10, 2010, 04:10:00 pm
Are you sure that wasn't just my worm peeping out from under my dress?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 04:18:16 pm by Andy B »

dave

#559 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
June 10, 2010, 05:32:16 pm
nah, it was about a thumb width, so way too big.

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#560 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
June 11, 2010, 12:33:51 am
Fair enough, and you should know as I've bummed you often enough.

dave

#561 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
June 11, 2010, 08:20:26 am
luckily you never touched the sides baby. back around.

csurfleet

• menacing presence
#562 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
June 11, 2010, 08:39:36 am
Lets see if you guys can help with this.

Couple of weeks back I was walking upto Pavey and spotted what looked like a kite (hovering and with that distinctive tail) fairly high up. WELL above it was what, to be honest, looked like a big hovering seagull, easily twice the size of the bird beneath it. The big one then did a dive attack on the smaller one and I was treated to a couple of minutes of amazing chase before the smaller one got away.

Any idea what they could have been? I'd have thought the smaller bird had a 80cm-1m wingspan although it was hard to tell from that distance...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#563 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
June 11, 2010, 09:32:13 am
Probably a kite and a gull. Have often seen other birds trying to chase off raptors, I think if they are anywhere near their nest. By coincidence I saw the hawk / kite (not sure which) that I see every day on the telephone poles by Portlethen Golf Course gettign hassled by a gull when iw as driving home last night.

Sawa seal in the Dee this morning! They often shelter in the river when the sea is very rough, but it's pretty calm today. Maybe he just fancied a change.

csurfleet

• menacing presence
#564 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
June 11, 2010, 10:56:01 am
That makes sense, didn't occur to me it could have been a "piss off you bastard" attack instead of "come here I'm huuuuuuungry"

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#565 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
June 11, 2010, 06:02:26 pm
I'm guessing it was a Kestrel and a gull. There are no gulls twice the size of a Kite, I don't think Kites are regular round Langdale yet, and -  99% of the time - if you see a bird hovering its a Kestrel. If it definitely had a forked tail that could be accounted for by moulting.

dave lamacraft

#566 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
June 13, 2010, 10:28:35 pm
Sounds like the smaller one a kestrel, and if the bigger one was also hovering (a slower, more cumbersome version of the kestrel?) I'd go for buzzard.  Not sure where Pavey is, somewhere where you get buzzards?  Buzzards have taken to hovering in fairly recent years, but its something they do a lot of round here (N Wales), they usually need a bit of headwind though.  Both species will also hang in the air into a headwind (kind of hovering without the flapping).  Birds of prey will often indulge in a bit of aerial sparring which may explain the 'attack'.

dave lamacraft

#567 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
June 13, 2010, 10:38:30 pm
Forgot to say, if anyone is down on the Lleyn in next few days keep an eye out for a bee-eater, one was seen middle of last week near Aberdaron, and I happened to bump into one/it on my way home from work with a take-away on Friday evening, which was a pleasant surprise (although resulted in my cripsy belly pork becoming soggy belly pork).  There's also been one on Anglesey today.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#568 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
June 15, 2010, 09:04:31 am
Mr Lamacraft got me twitchin!  :great:

dave lamacraft

#569 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
June 16, 2010, 07:11:40 pm
You're not another one that I know but don't realise I know (if you get what I mean) are you?? 

chris05

• forum abuser
#570 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
June 17, 2010, 12:38:15 pm
Just back from visiting the folks in scotland, saw a Capercaillie for the 2nd time, nice and close, big beautiful bird (not something you hear said very often). Also got attacked by fulmars at cummingston  :thumbsdown: and saw loads of deer ::)

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#571 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
June 18, 2010, 11:16:32 pm
Mr Lamacraft - I don't think I know you, but I have spent a lot of time on and have a deep love for the Lleyn (and the natural world in general)!

Saw a Sparrowhawk half heartedly chase a flock of pigeons before settling, briefly, on a bit of recently rased housing on my journey through the centre of darkest Birkenhead on the way to work this morning. I love seeing birds of prey in unexpected urban places  :)

Robsons

• menacing presence
  • On a mission
#572 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
June 19, 2010, 12:24:42 am

Not exactly recent, but a viper of some sort that I saw whilst at Murla, Costa Blanca - inbetween Route 7 and Route 8 - possibly put the grade up considerably if on any of the holds!

grumpycrumpy

• junky
  • metrosexual redneck
#573 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
June 21, 2010, 08:08:41 am
Saw a ring ouzel at Burbage North the other day  , not such a remarkable thing perhaps , but still very nice  :) .....

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#574 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
June 21, 2010, 09:41:31 am
Just back from visiting the folks in scotland, saw a Capercaillie for the 2nd time, nice and close, big beautiful bird (not something you hear said very often). Also got attacked by fulmars at cummingston  :thumbsdown: and saw loads of deer ::)

Nice on the Capercaillie, where was that? I've heard them, but never seen any. And unless the fulmars drew blood it wasn't a proper attack. mate of mine got a scalp wound from one at Logie Head when he topped out right next to a nest (unwittingly).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal