UKBouldering.com

Recent wildlife sightings (Read 658351 times)

k2ted

• player
#500 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
May 19, 2010, 09:00:06 pm
quoted from 'Finding birds in Britain' by Lee G R Evans (2001)- top book for finding rare birds and seen loads of stuff locally such as Dotterel, Long Eared owl...... think its ok to write this stuff here.
*NOTE* THESE SITES ARE REGARDED AS SENSITIVE SO CARE MUST BE TAKEN NOT TO DISTURB THE BIRDS/  WANDER OFF THE PATHS - THESE BIRDS ARE A DIMINISHING SPECIES.

Nightjars in the peak
Wharncliffe Crags, Sheffield
A small population of upto five churring Nightjars can be found in Wharncliffe woods area to NW of Sheffield. Grid ref-Sk 311 973

Hatfield Moors
Area between Lindholme airfield & Lindholme lake is most favourable and regularly attracts upto 40 pairs of Nightjars. Thornmoor to the North of the motorway also holds large numbers of churring males. Access is from the old colliery site at Moorends. Follow the track that leads from the far side of the spoil heaps for several hundred yards.

Go about dusk and birds perform from 9.45pm onwards from 27th May - 5th July. Best heard on calm, warm evenings with birds with birds failing to show on  windy / wet evenings.

Eddies

• forum hero
#501 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
May 19, 2010, 10:08:00 pm
I got growled at by a bat at beginners wall last night!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#502 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
May 20, 2010, 10:05:59 am
Saw a big heron on Banks of Dee yesterday. Tried to get some pics, but lens is not really up to it.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#503 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
May 20, 2010, 10:55:03 am
Lizard spotted at the top of the crag in Verdon last week, shame I couldn't get a better shot...

Got some ok pics of vultures too when I get round to sorting them out (but there's tons of them flying around, annoyingly too far away most of the time).

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#504 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
May 20, 2010, 01:15:50 pm
Nice! Any idea what it is, I've no books on euro herps...

annoyingly too far away most of the time).

Welcome to wildlife photography. Though that should read 'all'.

dave

#505 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
May 20, 2010, 01:18:22 pm
Saw a big heron on Banks of Dee yesterday. Tried to get some pics, but lens is not really up to it.

there's often/always a fuckoff heron in endcliffe park. I should head out packing a lens one day, i've seen it sat where you can get within about 15ft of it.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#506 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
May 20, 2010, 01:20:00 pm
And then you get a camera out, and it fucks straight off...

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#507 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
May 20, 2010, 01:23:04 pm
I always scope out where it is when I drive past. On days when I don't have camera with me it sits on the near bank in bright sunlight. On days when I do it sits on the far bank in the shade of trees. It knows, the wee shite.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#508 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
May 20, 2010, 01:35:17 pm
Nice! Any idea what it is, I've no books on euro herps...

No idea, perhaps a European Green Lizard  :shrug:

annoyingly too far away most of the time).

Welcome to wildlife photography. Though that should read 'all'.

Yeah I guess, although the vultures came close quite frequently, just mainly whilst climbing without any camera whatsoever.  Didn't have the time/patience to sit at the top of the crag for serious picture taking unfortunately.

JamieG

• forum hero
#509 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
May 20, 2010, 02:03:23 pm
quoted from 'Finding birds in Britain' by Lee G R Evans (2001)- top book for finding rare birds and seen loads of stuff locally such as Dotterel, Long Eared owl...... think its ok to write this stuff here.
*NOTE* THESE SITES ARE REGARDED AS SENSITIVE SO CARE MUST BE TAKEN NOT TO DISTURB THE BIRDS/  WANDER OFF THE PATHS - THESE BIRDS ARE A DIMINISHING SPECIES.

Nightjars in the peak
Wharncliffe Crags, Sheffield
A small population of upto five churring Nightjars can be found in Wharncliffe woods area to NW of Sheffield. Grid ref-Sk 311 973

Hatfield Moors
Area between Lindholme airfield & Lindholme lake is most favourable and regularly attracts upto 40 pairs of Nightjars. Thornmoor to the North of the motorway also holds large numbers of churring males. Access is from the old colliery site at Moorends. Follow the track that leads from the far side of the spoil heaps for several hundred yards.

Go about dusk and birds perform from 9.45pm onwards from 27th May - 5th July. Best heard on calm, warm evenings with birds with birds failing to show on  windy / wet evenings.

Thanks for the knowledge on the Nightjars, i'll definitely try and get out to see some one evening. I'll check out the book you recommended too.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#510 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
May 20, 2010, 10:49:03 pm
re Herons... The scally pair in Newsham Park (by me Ma's in deepest Kenny) will allow you to get proper close and then just look at you like they're going to bleed you!

On the subject of Newsham Park (it's properly urban) I was playing with the little lad yesterday when I heard some ruckus coming from the trees behind me. When I turned to look, a Sparrowhawk flew out of the tree with a starling in his claws hotly persued by half a dozen angry starlings! He looked totally unconcerned as he lazily flapped his way to the judges residence on the edge of the park (where he's known to reside)! I was well pleased!

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#511 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
May 25, 2010, 08:59:16 am
Continuing the urban nature theme, I was sat in Newsham Park on Saturday with the kids and spotted a buzzard circling above me. This is the first time I've ever seen, let alone heard of a buzzard being seen in such an urban environment. Psyched!

john horscroft

• forum hero
  • Just abusive
  • High Rocks? Best crag in the country mate.....
    • John Horscroft - Writer
#512 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
May 25, 2010, 12:32:27 pm
OK. I know I might get some stick for this one, but is it possible I've just seen a parrot flying around Beauchief??  I know there a large colonies darn sarf, but I didn't realise they'd got this far north.

Before you ask, it's not international Pirate Day and there wasn't any one legged fellas going "Ahhhhaaaaarrrr me hearties!" either.................

jimbo

• addict
#513 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
May 25, 2010, 12:44:26 pm
I read in the local rag the other week that a parrot escaped from a film set in Gleadless so it might be that one.....

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#514 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
May 25, 2010, 12:50:16 pm
Best shot I got of the Griffon Vultures () in Verdon, 200mm focal length in no way cut it (nor did my time/patience to sit around taking pictures of them!)

Wild (? No bells on at least) goats on the other hand were far easier to snap...

JamieG

• forum hero
#515 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
May 25, 2010, 01:02:54 pm
OK. I know I might get some stick for this one, but is it possible I've just seen a parrot flying around Beauchief??  I know there a large colonies darn sarf, but I didn't realise they'd got this far north.

Before you ask, it's not international Pirate Day and there wasn't any one legged fellas going "Ahhhhaaaaarrrr me hearties!" either.................

I've seen quite a few ring-necked parakeets in Platt Fields park in Manchester, on a number of occasions. They also sometimes team up with an escaped much-larger parrot, that is missing a few tail feathers. They all make a pretty distinctive loud squawking call.

I don't suppose that really answers you specific question, but they do seem quite happy as far north manchester. Although i've not seen them for awhile, maybe the cold winter hit them hard.

SpanishJuan

• obsessive maniac
  • two dumplings short of a stew
  • punter
#516 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
May 25, 2010, 01:03:09 pm

a few ring necked parakeets picket up in the sheffield area recently

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#517 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
May 25, 2010, 01:50:49 pm
Good site, but I'm interested. Are sites publicising sitings of rare species not seen as potentially aiding egg collecters?

BB

• junky
  • Sissy climber
#518 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
May 25, 2010, 01:51:21 pm
I might be wrong but I think the missus spotted a golden eagle in the Ariege last week. It had pronounced white patches on the undersides of it's wings so thought it was something else until she read in a guide book that juvenile golden eagles have these patches. Could it have been something else?

SpanishJuan

• obsessive maniac
  • two dumplings short of a stew
  • punter
#519 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
May 25, 2010, 03:36:00 pm
Good site, but I'm interested. Are sites publicising sitings of rare species not seen as potentially aiding egg collectors?
dunno  :-\  I suppose there are several approaches with publishing data in open source. Things are never black and white, but they are many shades of grey
1) only a few people know about a species in an area. Only a few people go and visit, exciting thing gets nabbed by c@nt. No more people see it \ species becomes locally extinct site gets developed by tesco.
2) lots of people know about it, many people visit. The frequency and irregularity of people visiting deter c@nts. people come with money and spend it in local area on fags and cups of coffee and boost local economy! Tesco decide to develop as area is prosperous.

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#520 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
May 25, 2010, 04:14:29 pm
Good site, but I'm interested. Are sites publicising sitings of rare species not seen as potentially aiding egg collectors?
dunno  :-\  I suppose there are several approaches with publishing data in open source. Things are never black and white, but they are many shades of grey
1) only a few people know about a species in an area. Only a few people go and visit, exciting thing gets nabbed by c@nt. No more people see it \ species becomes locally extinct site gets developed by tesco.
2) lots of people know about it, many people visit. The frequency and irregularity of people visiting deter c@nts. people come with money and spend it in local area on fags and cups of coffee and boost local economy! Tesco decide to develop as area is prosperous.

Interesting. I'm no expert but I wouldn't have thought that increased benign visitors would significantly deter egg collectors or other cunts unless organised observation was used a la lakes Golden Eagles and Ospreys? Is there a non Tesco option? Lidl maybe?

On another note there is a friendly (Wood?) Mouse living under the start of Powerband at the moment who seems quite active during the day. It was scampering back and forth in the undergrowth between the road and the crag last Thursday, and was quite happy to sit and chill next to you.

Somebody's Fool

• forum hero
#521 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
May 25, 2010, 05:41:05 pm
Interesting. I'm no expert but I think your post would have been more pertinent if you had used 'eggspert.'

k2ted

• player
#522 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
May 25, 2010, 08:23:24 pm
Good site, but I'm interested. Are sites publicising sitings of rare species not seen as potentially aiding egg collecters?

Mmmm   :-\   did ponder this prior to posting the Nightjar info but they feed over quite a large area and are nocturnal.  Info is also readily available in print so any serious egg collectors would know where to look. Ridiculously well camouflaged and only flush when dogs/ people are about 1metre from nest (according to google!!)...

Do agree - any details about actual nest locations should NEVER be placed on't net. Possible the mods should remove any posts with nest locations?

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#523 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
May 25, 2010, 11:04:04 pm
disappointed not to of see any turkey shots from wilson yet....

underground

• forum hero
#524 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
May 26, 2010, 10:34:32 pm
Had a wander up Abney moor on Sunday and spotted a Green Hairstreak. I had a scan round the little river up there for Golden Ringed dragonflies, since that's why I went, but there were none. Lots of Large Red damsels when the sun was out of the clouds though

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal