UKBouldering.com

Recent wildlife sightings (Read 658375 times)

Sloper

• forum hero
  • fat and weak but with good footwork.
#250 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
May 13, 2009, 08:12:48 pm
We've also got doves nesting in the privet arch at the bottom of the garden, which so far have done well to avoid a savage erection from their roost by my cane-wielding, evil-shit nephew, and the 3 bags of permafluff and noise that are my mothers' prize white German Shepherd's.

Where abouts in norfolk are you?

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#251 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
May 13, 2009, 10:05:26 pm
Norfolk is great for wildlife. Make sure you see some Marsh Harriers whilst you're there. Listen out for Bitterns too.

fatneck

• forum hero
  • Fishing Helm
#252 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
May 14, 2009, 08:35:52 am
Saw one of these (a Dipper)

and two of these (Grey Wagtails)

at Devils Gorge on Tuesday. Was particularly suprised to see the Dipper as the stream has totally dried up! Also discovered a Great Tits nest in the crag, noisy little blighters!

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#253 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
May 18, 2009, 12:11:21 pm
Saw a really big seal out at sea on Sunday from sea cliffs near Cruden Bay. Much larger than the ones we often see. Also some birds hovering about 20 ft up making weird calls. Hard to identify, as where silhouettes, but recorder sound on camera. Anyone fancy a shot at identifying?

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#254 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
May 19, 2009, 09:19:00 am
This post should also go in pretty much exclusively for Magpie as well.
I've got fox cubs in my garden, bouncy puppy fox cubs and they chase butterflies and each others tails and everything  :bounce:

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#255 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
May 19, 2009, 09:54:12 am
Get some photos Joe!

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#256 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
May 19, 2009, 10:19:48 am
GET VIDEOS, please!!!!  :bounce:

SA Chris

• forum hero
#257 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
May 19, 2009, 10:21:37 am
Friends got video of hedgehogs shagging in their garden, but then felt vaguely voyeuristic about it.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#258 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
May 19, 2009, 10:29:34 am
I always wondered how they didn't jag each other when they were at it?  :-\

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#259 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
May 19, 2009, 10:30:53 am
Get some photos Joe!
I will try. Unfortunately I don't have one of those flickr things and therefore won't be able to post them, maybe some one else might like to host them.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#260 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
May 19, 2009, 10:32:25 am
Send me a cub as a free gift and I'll sort them for you.  ;)

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#261 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
May 19, 2009, 10:32:33 am
I always wondered how they didn't jag each other when they were at it?  :-\
Its pretty much a two track mind with you (three if you include climbing I suppose) isn't it Mags

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#262 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
May 19, 2009, 10:32:54 am
Get some photos Joe!
I will try. Unfortunately I don't have one of those flickr things and therefore won't be able to post them, maybe some one else might like to host them.

Flickr offers a free account if you don't want to fork anything out and can be arsed registering.

They have all the info on how to upload pics on their site (its pretty straight-forward though), and this will guide you through embedding them here at UKB (if you can be arsed!)

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#263 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
May 19, 2009, 10:41:18 am
Get some photos Joe!

Flickr offers a free account if you don't want to fork anything out and can be arsed registering.

They have all the info on how to upload pics on their site (its pretty straight-forward though), and this will guide you through embedding them here at UKB (if you can be arsed!)
Thanks Slack,
I'm just a bit wary of signing up to stuff like flickr. But if I get some photos I'm sure if I PM them to Mags (and no you can't have a fox cub (they wee on their food you know)) or Jas they'll have them on here or Pretty Much... asap, so that's what I'll try

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#264 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
May 19, 2009, 11:32:33 am
Its pretty much a two track mind with you (three if you include climbing I suppose) isn't it Mags
In my defense, I can also talk a lot about cake, sparkly things and make up, but there isn't much call for discussing any of that here, is there?  ;D

But if I get some photos I'm sure if I PM them to Mags (and no you can't have a fox cub (they wee on their food you know))
Ewwww, you may keep the cubs, dirty wee tikes, but yes, I'll do the pictures for you if you send them to me, no problem.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#265 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
May 19, 2009, 11:41:17 am
Where abouts in norfolk are you?

Back in the Reich now but I was staying at Gressenhall, near East Dereham.  You'll probably have visitted the old workhouse AKA Museum of Rural Life on a school trip 25 - 30 years ago (?)

Joepicalli

• forum abuser
#266 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
May 19, 2009, 02:52:14 pm
In my defense, I can also talk a lot about cake, sparkly things and make up, but there isn't much call for discussing any of that here, is there?  ;D

But if I get some photos I'm sure if I PM them to Mags (and no you can't have a fox cub (they wee on their food you know))
Ewwww, you may keep the cubs, dirty wee tikes, but yes, I'll do the pictures for you if you send them to me, no problem.
I'll have to get the photos first, its intermittently pissing down here and the cubs haven't been out all day.

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#267 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
May 19, 2009, 03:20:43 pm
Whenever, I am at your service, it's not like I have any real work to do for the rest of the week.  ;)

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#268 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
May 19, 2009, 03:39:44 pm
Yeah send em to Ms pie as I'm going to Font on Friday so might not have time. Did I also mention that I'm going to Font on Friday?
 ;D

SA Chris

• forum hero
#269 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
May 19, 2009, 03:46:44 pm
"You going on holiday then love? Anywhere nice?"

Andy B

• forum hero
  • fishie in a dishie
#270 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
May 21, 2009, 04:10:00 pm
Driving back from the Tor this afternoon, we pulled into the Three Stags Heads car park for a minute to make a phone call, when my mate Tom looks out of his side window to see a guinea pig staring up at him!

After unsuccessfully trying to entice it closer with a juicy dandelion leaf, I went across the road to ask the farmer if he had a guinea pig, but he said no-one round there has one. I'm guessing it's been abandoned there, but it looked happy as larry chomping on the greenery.

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#271 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
May 21, 2009, 04:28:34 pm

Can't imagine it'll last long poor thing - first farmyard cat will surely munch it?

Coming out of Monmouth in the wagon last night passed a whole herd of deer chewing on the verge only a foot from the road - always a bizarre sight as they appear out of the gloom. Then saw another (unfortunately dead) munjack deer the size of a dog on the hard shoulder near Birmingham.

Idol eyes

• junky
#272 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
May 23, 2009, 09:28:20 am
Bottle nosed Whale....

SamT

• forum hero
#273 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
May 25, 2009, 10:27:52 am

cool thread  :thumbsup:

Beautiful close up of a redstart at a cottage in the Dee Valley last weekend, was on a fence post 2 feet the other side of the kitchen window - dont think it could see us cause of a refelction or sommat.
RedKites above the Dee.
Sandmartins nesting in the river bank there too.

Other highlights this year - Siskins in Sharrow Cemetary
Stone Chats between Lawrencefield and Millstone Carpark (when it was bitterly cold and all the tree's / Fences had hoar frost on em this winter).
Sparrowhawk chasing tits in our back garden. Swooped up to honeysuckle right infront of our French windows behind which I was lucky enough to be sat.

Greenfinch and Goldfinch common as muck on our feeders, yet in two years at the house, I've not seen a single chaffinch.  :shrug:

Also - seeing lots of Lapwings around at the mo. Hopefully a sign that they are making a comeback. Where always resident just below millstone/higgar when I was a kid - but not seen for years. Then saw one there the other day.

Plattsy

• forum hero
#274 Re: Recent wildlife sightings
May 25, 2009, 08:58:53 pm
Saw my first Jay in the woodland next to Llyn Gwynant on the path from the campsite. Gutted I didn't have a camera on me.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal