UKBouldering.com

North Wales/Peak District recommendations (Read 2059 times)

ds

North Wales/Peak District recommendations
March 09, 2009, 11:58:08 am
Planning a wee north wales to peak district trip late april, roughly getting ferry to holyhead about 14th/15th april and back to dublin about 29th/30th april.  Have to be in peak district between 22-26 but no other plans apart from that.

Places im keen on:  the pass and slate quarries for a few classic routes, the pass for some bouldering, parisellas cave, porth ysgo, up peak district direction: ive only been to stanage and millstone.

So im looking for any must do/must try problems in the 6a-7a range, a few harder things to work on wouldnt go amiss.  Keen to get some sport climbing done aswell, in high 6 low 7 grades and again wouldnt mind trying something a bit harder.  Oh yes, what about wet weather places?  Trying not to be a pessimist but if it does pour down would there be somewhere that will stay dry?

So anyone a bit bored and want to plan a trip?  :whistle:  Anyone want to meet up aswell?  There will be two of us and a few mats/bags in my car so could squeeze someone in for a day/meet at the crag.

Cheers  :)

Pantontino

• forum hero
    • www.northwalesbouldering.com
See this thread for North Wales bouldering:

http://ukbouldering.com/board/index.php/topic,11185.msg189749.html#new

North Wales Rock guide covers all the classic routes.

Somebody else will be along soon to talk about the Peak (personally I think the bouldering and sport climbing is better in Yorkshire).

dobbin

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
  • Buoux 7a
Somebody else will be along soon to talk about the Peak (personally I think the bouldering and sport climbing is better in Yorkshire).

You're probably right to be honest. Malham and Kilnsey are both world class and although I am a fully signed up squeaky peaky, I recognise their value. Up to 7a theres only two routes at the Tor or Rubicon but Cheedale is lovely. Head across the river to two tier for some great climbing up to that level. Do pitch one of darl, I think thats 7a+ and v.good.

Base your decisions on where to go on what the weather is like. Burbage has a lot to offer but may well be too warm for anything hard by then. RHS and Cratcliffe are nice places. All grit is pretty much out in bad weather, bits of the tor and rubicon stay dry in all but the heaviest downpours, although after prolonged rain both seep.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal