UKBouldering.com

Ailefroide (Read 2650 times)

Palomides

• forum abuser
Ailefroide
March 01, 2009, 09:16:30 pm
You may have meant to search for Alfred.

No, no I didn't.  :-\

I know a fair few people on here have been to Ailefroide, and I'd be grateful of a quick summary of the bouldering - especially regards distance from campsite, how easy it is to find the boulders, how child-friendly they are and any unmissable problems.

Thanks in advance.

Fj

• menacing presence
#1 Re: Ailefroide
March 01, 2009, 11:28:57 pm
The bouldering is great although I've only been twice in the middle of summer. 30 degree heat made anything harder than sitting in the trees drinking cheap good wine really hard.
The bouldering surrounds the campsite/car parks which makes everything really accessable and I imagine child friendly. Mini topo blocs guides are available in the gift shop at the top of the town. All the locations besides the glacial stream are much cooler but may not be child friendly.
Surprise du chef is the most famous problem in the valley at 7b/7b+, but the best problem I climbed was Fantastique an amazing 6b+ in Cahutes area.
Let me know if you have any other questions.

dom

• addict
#2 Re: Ailefroide
March 02, 2009, 12:28:22 am
I spent a couple of weeks there over the summer, it was alright.  The campsite and the whole town is very kid friendly.  Boulders are easy to find with the local topo, nearly all are within walking distance.  It'd be a fairly low-stress bouldering trip with a family, but to be honest I was a bit underwhelmed with the quantity and quality.  The Mushroom Boulder was really nice though.

My blog post about Ailefroide-
http://climb8a.blogspot.com/2008/07/ailefroide.html

dom

meatball

• menacing presence
    • Chuck Norris facts
#3 Re: Ailefroide
March 02, 2009, 09:01:03 am
but to be honest I was a bit underwhelmed with the quantity and quality.

Agreed with the quantity, but found the quality on the whole high. If you climb at the grade Suprise du Chef is a fantastic problem!

chappers

• forum hero
#4 Re: Ailefroide
March 02, 2009, 10:13:36 am

Palomides

• forum abuser
#5 Re: Ailefroide
March 02, 2009, 09:16:09 pm

Thanks everyone.

It actually looks great for a few days of family holiday with occasional bouts of bouldering fun.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal