UKBouldering.com

Healthy eating (Read 45230 times)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#75 Re: Healthy eating
February 26, 2009, 11:33:12 am
I know it gives me heartburn, even when it's juust right.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#76 Re: Healthy eating
February 26, 2009, 11:45:42 am
I imagine Jim on the floor, stuffed to the gunnels w/ rice crackers and rye breads, low fat cheeses, pulses of all kinds, fresh fish; fresh vegetables everywhere, fruit strewn across the deck as if his living room were an orchard...   Barrels of organic ale against the wall; and a small child contantly ferrying only the healthiest, low fat snacks to him on a near-constant basis...

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#77 Re: Healthy eating
February 26, 2009, 12:01:42 pm
One thing has always puzzled me about so many people advocating porridge - isn't porridge actually quite high fat for a cereal? I was checking packets and seeing a figure close to 10% fat  :-\
Can somebody give me the lowdown on porridge then? Is it really that great?

Some info from the British Nutrition Foundation on cereals in general.

Typical contents in 100g of porridge

Aunties take seems to be quite positive

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
#78 Re: Healthy eating
February 26, 2009, 12:17:43 pm

Hmmm looks like I need to find a better source of porridge - they are quoting it at about 2.5% fat.

rodma

• forum hero
#79 Re: Healthy eating
February 26, 2009, 01:12:30 pm
I've certainly found that cutting down on the amount of alcoholic beverages consumed has made a big difference. I do feel a little bit empty though of an evening when used to the extra calories. It's certainly help me trim down a bit, but doesn't stop my body from fighting back every couple of weeks by making me buy pork pies and then force-feeding them to me.

Houdini

• forum hero
  • Heil Mary
#80 Re: Healthy eating
February 26, 2009, 01:54:33 pm
^^ Yeah, I know what you mean, and so far, the only solution I've found is to drink mint tea one after the other non-stop all night. 

SA Chris

• forum hero
#81 Re: Healthy eating
February 26, 2009, 02:15:14 pm
It's certainly help me trim down a bit, but doesn't stop my body from fighting back every couple of weeks by making me buy pork pies and then force-feeding them to me.

Aren't you genetically preprogrammed to crave lard / deep fried products at least once a week? Wonder what a deep fried pork pie would be like? (eyes glaze over, stares into distance).

Jim

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
#82 Re: Healthy eating
February 26, 2009, 08:51:14 pm
I can't believe Jim's thread has spawned four pages of sound advice. I can just picture him sprawled on the sofa, chubby fingers scrolling over the trackpad, bottle of real ale clutched in his other hand and face smeared with doughnut grease, thinking 'So I can't just take a pill? Well fuck that Kes.'

that's not far from the truth although I am going to stop eating all the fried breakfasts at work and have wholegrain cereal instead, Also going to cut out all the toast I tend to snack on, especially with the lake of molten butter I like on the top, cut back on spuds and stodgy stuff and just have meat/fish with shit loads of green veg, eat only wholemeal rice and pasta and start eating more fruit.
Also I am going to alternate daily between beer and gin and tonic, this way I should half my beer intake.

Going to the crag yesterday having only had 3 wheatabix for breakfast and not eating all day back fired when I got home, demolished tea in under 3 minutes and then proceeded to heat up the previous nights remains, consume that in super quick time and then spend the rest of the night prowling the cupboards. Also found myself today being starving and consumed an enormous amount of food.
It certainly doesn't help working shifts either.

keen for some tasty low carb recipes:

here's one to get you going, this is very tasty and from one of Jamie Oliver's books:

Jamie's recipe for Sirloin of Beef with Pak Choy, Soy Sauce and Ginger, from his book "Happy Days with the Naked Chef" - Serves 2.

2 x 225gr / 8oz sirloin steaks
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 pak choy or bok choy (even spinach or any other greens will do)
8 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 a garlic clove, finely grated
1 thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated
1 fresh chilli, de-seeded and finely grated
juice of 1 lime
2 tablespoons olive oil

On a very hot griddle pan, cook your seasoned sirloin steaks until medium or to your liking.  Place on a plate and allow to rest for 2 minutes, then cook your greens in salted boiling water until tender.  While hot, douse the steaks with the soy sauce, and sprinkle with the garlic, ginger, chilli, lime juice and olive oil.  When the greens are cooked, simply divide on to 2 plates, slice up the sirloin steaks, place on top of the greens and drizzle with any of the infused sauce left on the resting plate.  A fantastic dish.

Duma

• forum hero
#83 Re: Healthy eating
February 26, 2009, 08:56:19 pm
It certainly doesn't help working shifts either.

So true - I eat absolute crap while on nights, but am quite good otherwise.

GCW

• forum hero
  • No longer a
#84 Re: Healthy eating
February 26, 2009, 09:03:45 pm
I used to eat shit on shifts, but then I made an effort and did myself little boxes of food to take.  It just requires some organisation and it's a lot better than a lot of the shit the NHS had to offer up.

Seriously though Jim, alcohol is a big factor in weight.  I was super dubious about reducing alcohol- I wondered what I'd do with my evenings instead of chugging 6 pints.  Now I'm drinking 1 a day, I've lost weight and gained pounds.

In fact, I've probably lost some of the weight I gained when I quite the fags.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#85 Re: Healthy eating
February 27, 2009, 12:42:33 am
I am going to stop eating all the fried breakfasts at work and have wholegrain cereal instead, Also going to cut out all the toast I tend to snack on, especially with the lake of molten butter I like on the top, cut back on spuds and stodgy stuff and just have meat/fish with shit loads of green veg, eat only wholemeal rice and pasta and start eating more fruit.

:thumbsup: Hopefully its a long-term change in lifestyle rather than a "diet" (unless of course you are only seeking short-term gains).

Also I am going to alternate daily between beer and gin and tonic, this way I should half my beer intake.
Logical +  8)

Bubba

• Global Moderator
  • forum hero
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 05:40:15 am by Bubba »

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder

SA Chris

• forum hero
#88 Re: Healthy eating
February 27, 2009, 08:25:31 am
wholegrain cereal

As a side note, I have been told that wholegrain cereals, wheatabix, bran flakes etc can harm your lower digestive tract unless you drink at least a pint of water with them. No idea how true this is, but can't do any harm drinkign more water just in case.

vivahate

• forum abuser
  • Dragonaut
#89 Re: Healthy eating
February 27, 2009, 08:59:23 am

Diets That Reduce Calories Lead to Weight Loss, Regardless of Carbohydrate, Protein or Fat Content

At last some SCIENCE to validate the bleeding obvious.

They really needed to give some descriptives regarding the weight and BMI of the participants. I suspect that as you approach lower weights (your BMI isn't over 30, or even 25) then protein-carb-fat-fibre makeup becomes more pertinent to weight loss goals. I.e. if you're really overweight, the composition of the diet is less important simply a gross reduction in calorific intake or less saturated fats. I suspect that this study was on overweight-to-obese people simply for funding reasons, you're unlikely to see this kind of long-term clinical trial being carried out on healthy people looking to lose some weight. For the average fit-but-a-bit-overweight climber, I think nutrient makeup is still more important than simply reduction in calorific intake. Although the two usually go hand in hand.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 09:04:48 am by vivahate »

webbo

• forum hero
#90 Re: Healthy eating
February 27, 2009, 09:05:44 am
a collegue of mine went to her g.p. re diet and losing weight.
"doctor i eat lots of fruit and veg and only wholemeal bread,in fact i don't eat anything unhealthy but i'm not losing weight"
"try putting less in your mouth my dear"

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#91 Re: Healthy eating
February 27, 2009, 09:35:01 am

Diets That Reduce Calories Lead to Weight Loss, Regardless of Carbohydrate, Protein or Fat Content

At last some SCIENCE to validate the bleeding obvious.

They really needed to give some descriptives regarding the weight and BMI of the participants. I suspect that as you approach lower weights (your BMI isn't over 30, or even 25) then protein-carb-fat-fibre makeup becomes more pertinent to weight loss goals. I.e. if you're really overweight, the composition of the diet is less important simply a gross reduction in calorific intake or less saturated fats. I suspect that this study was on overweight-to-obese people simply for funding reasons, you're unlikely to see this kind of long-term clinical trial being carried out on healthy people looking to lose some weight. For the average fit-but-a-bit-overweight climber, I think nutrient makeup is still more important than simply reduction in calorific intake. Although the two usually go hand in hand.

Well, that is just a blog report of a scientific paper and I'd imagine the details are in the paper, I'll see if I can get a copy from the NEJM if you're interested.

BMI isn't a particularly good index of obesity (for starters muscle is heavier than fat).  Waist-hip ratio is a stronger indicator, or an electronic measurement of your body-fat composition is ideal.  And by focusing on an extreme end of a distribution you over-emphasise the effects, but in theory they should hold true for others on the more frequent range of body morphisms.

Johnny Brown

• forum hero
#92 Re: Healthy eating
February 27, 2009, 09:51:57 am

Now that's a diet.

vivahate

• forum abuser
  • Dragonaut
#93 Re: Healthy eating
February 27, 2009, 09:54:58 am
Looked at the study and 25% were overweight and 75% obese (defined by BMI). Agreed on the limitations of BMI, mine has been over 30 whilst at under 15% body fat. Still think that the advice of 'just eat less - regardless of composition' is less applicable for people who are approaching normal weight, and even more so for people who excercise frequently.

Eddies

• forum hero
#94 Re: Healthy eating
February 27, 2009, 12:22:00 pm
A pint of Stella contains 250 calories
A pint of Gunniess contains 210 calories
A pint of Ale contains around 170-200 calories
A single measure (25ml) of gin with normal tonic contains around 120 calories
A single measure (25ml) of gin with slimline tonic contains around 56 calories

You do the math!

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#95 Re: Healthy eating
February 27, 2009, 12:37:02 pm
A pint of Stella contains 250 calories
A pint of Gunniess contains 210 calories
A pint of Ale contains around 170-200 calories
A single measure (25ml) of gin with normal tonic contains around 120 calories
A single measure (25ml) of gin with slimline tonic contains around 56 calories

You do the math!

250 > 210 > 170-200 > 120 > 56  :P

Duma

• forum hero
#96 Re: Healthy eating
February 27, 2009, 02:01:20 pm
But all the pints are at least twice the booze content of the single gins - so to get as p*ssed (and get the same taste) the normal tonic is one of the worst. Only through the magic of diet tonic can the G&T diet (tm) really deliver results!

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#97 Re: Healthy eating
February 27, 2009, 02:34:20 pm
Most of the G&T calories come from the tonic though, so the simple answer is, less tonic more gin, meaning less calories more pissed up.  A single measure of gin with a mixer is utterly pointless in every sense.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#98 Re: Healthy eating
February 27, 2009, 02:43:53 pm
Exactly. It's the Drink of Kings you want (see above).

SA Chris

• forum hero
#99 Re: Healthy eating
February 27, 2009, 02:50:52 pm
Single Malts are also a good low calorie option, unfortunately not a very cheap one though.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal