• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
  • Mostly Injured
  • Pregnant Horse
    • Bouldering POI's for tomtom
Healthy eating
February 24, 2009, 02:28:48 pm
Trying to stop the increasing waist line by some sensible eating,
after some recommendations for some quick, easy, low carb, tasty and generally healthy meals that aren't going to bulk me out even more.
For snacks we have toasted wholemeal pitta with homous or tomato/aubergine dip as a good alternative to crisps/choclate/biscuits

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#1 Re: Healthy eating
February 24, 2009, 02:35:54 pm
Get down with some chilli action as it increases metabolism through themogenesis (note caveats about quantities though!).

Plain flour tortilla's and some decent salsa, or just some hot salsa/dipping sauce for the pitta breads.

If you can bear them Rice cakes make a very low calorie snack.  If you can't, just get the Marmite version and that'll make them just about bearable :P

Paul B

• forum hero
#2 Re: Healthy eating
February 24, 2009, 02:38:23 pm
I know you don't want to hear this but stop drinking so much beer; completely empty calories. Other changes will be a drop in the ocean compared to what this might do for you.

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
#3 Re: Healthy eating
February 24, 2009, 02:41:15 pm
I know you don't want to hear this but stop drinking so much beer; completely empty calories. Other changes will be a drop in the ocean compared to what this might do for you.

Paul B speaks sense beast, maybe try eating brown bread, instead of white with a pound of butter on as well.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#4 Re: Healthy eating
February 24, 2009, 02:57:09 pm
I remember reading that Ewan McGregor lost weight for his role in Trainspotting by switching from beer to G&T's.

Some might consider G&T's a bit but personally I love it, very refreshing, and it gets you quite sozzled, but must be accompanied with a slice (lemon, lime or both when pushing the boat out).  Second only to B%C3%A9n%C3%A9dictine and Tonic on ice.

St Hubbins

• stalker
  • Where the magic happens...
#5 Re: Healthy eating
February 24, 2009, 02:57:20 pm
Ginger is meant to speed up the metabolism too. Definatly avoid the beer.

My snacks nowadays:
Chopped veg dipped in Hummus/Salsa
Avacado on toast (Sounds weirdo but suprisingly nice) mash a ripe avacado with some fresh lime juice, pinch seasoning then spread on granary bread
Soya Nuts
Baked Aubergine slices with the yoghurt & tahini dressing (in the Ramsay Fast food book)
Tins of Fish
Medjool Dates when i want some something sweet

But avoiding beer may be good idea  ;D Mind you, there are some lagers that are better than others. Doesn't Holsten pils have fewer calories as 'all the sugar turns to alcohol'?

St Hubbins

• stalker
  • Where the magic happens...
#6 Re: Healthy eating
February 24, 2009, 02:58:48 pm
I remember reading that Ewan McGregor lost weight for his role in Trainspotting by switching from beer to G&T's.

Some might consider G&T's a bit but personally I love it, very refreshing, and it gets you quite sozzled, but must be accompanied with a slice (lemon, lime or both when pushing the boat out).  Second only to B%C3%A9n%C3%A9dictine and Tonic on ice.

Does it not need to be slimline tonic though???

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
#7 Re: Healthy eating
February 24, 2009, 03:07:15 pm

Some might consider G&T's a bit but personally I love it, very refreshing, and it gets you quite sozzled, but must be accompanied with a slice (lemon, lime or both when pushing the boat out).  Second only to B%C3%A9n%C3%A9dictine and Tonic on ice.

Gin and Tonic is the drink of champs. I always end up moving onto it later in the night, cos I feel a bit bloated after too many beers.

Try not too eat carbs after 6pm aswell, gives your body time to digest, which is doen't do when your asleep. Make sure you have a big healthy breakfast, this stops snacking in the day. And as I never tire of telling the women at work, who sit around all day eating Weight Watchers spag bol, you only really lose weight when you use more calories than you put in.

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#8 Re: Healthy eating
February 24, 2009, 03:12:07 pm
My mate (Dancing John of the bellyflop finish video fame) has lost a shed load of weight doing this. While still keeping up a healthy intake of beer.

Lagers, you've been trying this too haven't you?

It makes sense and certainly seems to work.

Gin and Tonic is the drink of champs.

Treble gin and tonic, the drink of kings. Only to be consumed with one's little finger thrust out in a posh manner.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#9 Re: Healthy eating
February 24, 2009, 03:19:14 pm

Gin and Tonic is the drink of champs.

Treble gin and tonic, the drink of kings. Only to be consumed with one's little finger thrust out in a posh manner.

I usually aim for a 50/50 mix myself.

Stubbs

#10 Re: Healthy eating
February 24, 2009, 03:20:53 pm
Make sure you have a big healthy breakfast, this stops snacking in the day.

Does this actually work for you?  The bigger the breakfacst I have the earlier I get hungry! I stopped eating porridge for breakfast before work as I always ended up being starving by about half ten!

Paul B

• forum hero
#11 Re: Healthy eating
February 24, 2009, 03:32:41 pm
porridge works well for me or did.

Rice Boy

• stalker
#12 Re: Healthy eating
February 24, 2009, 03:43:32 pm
I often find I'm not actually hungry but just thirsty and unaware of it.  A pint of water normally sorts this. 

vivahate

• forum abuser
  • Dragonaut
#13 Re: Healthy eating
February 24, 2009, 03:55:15 pm
I lost 2 stone this year by doing a few things differenty;

Porridge in the morning with maple syrup
Snacking on fruit, but trying to not snack
Not drinking as frequently (was never heavy but 1/2 bottle of wine once or twice a week)
Not eating any carb-centred meals, and if eating dinner after 6 having loads of protein and veg and almost no carb
not eating the bulls*!t sandwiches they sell in hospital/university, buying loads of precooked and cut chicken breat and making my own (with brown bread.. saved a tonne of cash too)

that was pretty much it and it made a monster difference. Feel loads better as well. Previous diet wasn't bad per se just full of carbs and funny portions.

I agree that smaller portions of porridge/breakfast make me hungry earlier. I used to have museli with yoghurt and nuts and all that jazz and was starving at 10.30, a smaller bowl of porridge is sound till about 1 now.

Zods Beard

• forum abuser
#14 Re: Healthy eating
February 24, 2009, 04:05:25 pm
I often find I'm not actually hungry but just thirsty and unaware of it.  A pint of water normally sorts this. 

Very good point this, since I stopped drinking as much water, I get a lot more hungry, drinking it whilst eating fills you up more too. Tea is also good for this.

Does this actually work for you?  The bigger the breakfacst I have the earlier I get hungry! I stopped eating porridge for breakfast before work as I always ended up being starving by about half ten!

Seems too, I have a big bowl of muesli with nuts, bananas and other schizzle, but my mate swears by porridge, don't oats boost serotonin though?

Jaspersharpe

• forum hero
  • 1B punter
  • Allez Oleeeve!
#15 Re: Healthy eating
February 24, 2009, 04:07:09 pm
I lost 2 stone this year by doing a few things differenty;

Porridge in the morning with maple syrup
Snacking on fruit, but trying to not snack
Not drinking as frequently (was never heavy but 1/2 bottle of wine once or twice a week)
Not eating any carb-centred meals, and if eating dinner after 6 having loads of protein and veg and almost no carb
not eating the bulls*!t sandwiches they sell in hospital/university, buying loads of precooked and cut chicken breat and making my own (with brown bread.. saved a tonne of cash too)

that was pretty much it and it made a monster difference. Feel loads better as well. Previous diet wasn't bad per se just full of carbs and funny portions.

I agree that smaller portions of porridge/breakfast make me hungry earlier. I used to have museli with yoghurt and nuts and all that jazz and was starving at 10.30, a smaller bowl of porridge is sound till about 1 now.

Virtually identical to what my mate has done.

tomtom

• forum hero
#16 Re: Healthy eating
February 24, 2009, 05:00:07 pm
Soup!
Works really well as a partial appetite suppressant. Keeps the stomach feeling full for a disproportionate length of time (for the amount of food). They can be grim, but a cup-a-soup or equivalent can stave off the pangs for ages. I've been told its essential locker equipment for coppers.. for those need to eat but no time keep you going type moments (e.g. when the doughnut shop is closed). Mind you, theres a massive woman at work who eats nothing but soup so maybee its not doing her much good.

I've also given up bread in the last couple of years and felt much better for it.. no need to have butter in the fridge then! I too snack on pitta's/houmus/salsa....

I find that my weight creeps up gradually over a few months by 1/2 to 1 stone, then I'm ill for a bit and it all drops off!

Or... for improving climbing.. as friend of mine pointed out, why try to loose 1/2 stone in weight, when if you use your feet better (e.g. a dab/smear) you can easily lift 1/2 stone weight from your fingers (not always but he does have a point..)

Failing that, liposuction, diuretics and laxatives. That'll do nicely  :)

Stubbs

#17 Re: Healthy eating
February 24, 2009, 05:18:01 pm

I've also given up bread in the last couple of years ..... I too snack on pitta's

:shrug:

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#18 Re: Healthy eating
February 24, 2009, 05:30:47 pm

I've also given up bread in the last couple of years ..... I too snack on pitta's

Pitta's are what is known as unleavend or flatbreads, as are roti/chappati/naan/etc.  Basically they don't contain yeast to make them rise (although confusingly the Wikipedia article on Pita's indicates that a small amount of yeast is used traditionally in Greece).

tomtom

• forum hero
#19 Re: Healthy eating
February 24, 2009, 05:48:23 pm

Pitta's are what is known as unleavend or flatbreads, as are roti/chappati/naan/etc.  Basically they don't contain yeast to make them rise (although confusingly the Wikipedia article on Pita's indicates that a small amount of yeast is used traditionally in Greece).
Thanks Slackers, thats what I meant - given up leavened bread.. I find eating anything like a sandwich makes me full (OK) but then sleepy about 30-60min after then really hungry again 2 hours later. If I have a bowl of salad/cous cous/rice type thing I'm fine... I dont get the same effect from Pittas as I do from normal bread. Its probably just me, but I dont miss bread at all.. In fact lifes quite a bit easier not having to buy fresh bread (ending the disappointment when finding the loaf in the cupboard is stale/mouldy) no butter, no crumbs and no toaster. Maybe I'm just strange!

tomtom

• forum hero
#20 Re: Healthy eating
February 24, 2009, 05:51:10 pm
OK, heres a food/diet related question...
I enjoy a good curry with fairer half every now and then, and whilst she's more than happy piling on the pounds wading through Nan's and her Chicken TIkka Massala  :'( I like to be a bit careful.

So, whats the healthy(er) curry option. I normally stick to a veggy curry of some description - which I normally find better anyway from a good curry house, and something like a saag or bombay aloo, along with some plain rice. Hmm now feeling very hungry writing this! Whats the best curry option?

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#21 Re: Healthy eating
February 24, 2009, 05:54:01 pm
Cook your own a curries and don't use Ghee.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#22 Re: Healthy eating
February 24, 2009, 06:07:12 pm
The stone that I've managed to shift in the last 2 months has been mainly due to ditching high carb foods and eating more meat, fish and green veg. It was the legendary Dancing John who inspired me to look into the Paleo/Neanderthal/Caveman diet thing.
I've paid no attention to fat content yet (I really like eating fat). The first 3 days or so of not eating many carbs gave me a little headache, but since then I don't get the strong hunger pangs that I used to get when it was time to eat
Meals have been mostly simple; piece of fish/meat/chicken with loads of veg (not potatoes). I usually cook more than I need so that I have leftovers for snacks and breakfast. Been having things like bacon and eggs, omlettes, leftover steak for breakfast - favourite quick breakfast is 3 slices of salami torn up and dropped in a nonstick frying pan, heated until the fat starts to sizzle out of it then chuck on 2 beaten eggs and cook until, well, cooked. Getting used to lunch without bread has taken some effort, but now I appear to have become a bit intollerant to it. Cans of fish and salad are my default lunch if I haven't prepared owt else. A fish from the chip shop on its own and try to eat as little of the batter as possible was today's treat.
I've been eating more eggs than ever before (12 per week) and am unsure that this is a good thing. A 2 egg omlette with bits of salami or left over meat chucked in along with veg has become a regular meal when I can't be arsed to think of anything else.
I'll post more later

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#23 Re: Healthy eating
February 24, 2009, 06:09:43 pm
Whats the best curry option?

For me its been best to have one veg curry (no potatoes) and one meat/chicken and no rice or nan. Leaves me very full and satisfied and sticks to my low carb quest.

slackline

• forum hero
    • Sheffield Boulder
#24 Re: Healthy eating
February 24, 2009, 06:14:05 pm
My other curry recommendation is Punjab, Rusholme  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal