UKBouldering.com

Alain Robert antics... (Read 19754 times)

magpie

• Trusted Users
  • forum hero
#25 Re: Alain Robert antics...
February 18, 2009, 12:25:21 pm
I don't dislike him, he does what he does and fills a climbing/media crossover niche. I saw a documentary on him recently, wasn't particularly endearing, but *SHRUG*.

Stop trying to be nice; the documentary was shit and he's a cunt, that's all there is to it.

Nibile

• forum hero
  • Part Animal Part Machine
    • TOTOLORE
#26 Re: Alain Robert antics...
February 18, 2009, 12:54:25 pm
i'm so fucking happy he's french!!!

DubDom

• menacing presence
#27 Re: Alain Robert antics...
February 18, 2009, 01:02:05 pm

Is this reason other than when he went soloing with his kid in a baby carrier on his back? That was enough for me.

that's just something that he said in an interview that he'd like to do, as far as I heard it's not something that he ever did (or is it???)

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
  • "There's no cure for being a c#nt"
#28 Re: Alain Robert antics...
February 18, 2009, 01:11:06 pm
I'm pretty sure he really did solo an 8a with a baby attached to him. I did a very quick search last night, but couldn't find any pics.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#29 Re: Alain Robert antics...
February 18, 2009, 01:24:09 pm
On January 18, 1982, at 19, he fell 15 metres (49 ft) when his anchor and rope gave way during training. He fractured his wrists, heels and nose and underwent three operations.

On September 29, 1982, at 20, he fell 15 metres (49 ft) when his rope came undone during rappelling, (abseiling). He was in a coma for five days and fractured both forearms, his elbow, pelvis, and nose. His elbow was also dislocated and a nerve was damaged leaving him partially paralyzed. He also suffered cerebral edema and vertigo. He underwent six operations on his hands and elbow.

In 1993, he fell 8 metres (26 ft) while showing students how to rely on their legs when climbing. He kept his hands behind his back on an easy route but lost his balance and fell headfirst shattering both wrists. He went into another coma and spent two months in the hospital.

In 2004, he fell 2 metres (6 ft 6.7 in) when climbing a traffic light whilst posing for a photo in an interview. He landed on his elbow and needed forty stitches,

The first two falls were due to the fact that he can't tie knots, the second two were due to showing off. You couldn't make it up.   ::)

SA Chris

• forum hero
    • http://groups.msn.com/ChrisClix
#30 Re: Alain Robert antics...
February 18, 2009, 01:49:32 pm
I'm pretty sure he really did solo an 8a with a baby attached to him. I did a very quick search last night, but couldn't find any pics.

I'm almost certain I have seen pics too, but googling yielded nowt.

simes

• stalker
    • http://www.simes303.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/index.htm
#31 Re: Alain Robert antics...
February 18, 2009, 02:33:39 pm

I've always disliked Alain Robert for some reason.

Is this reason other than when he went soloing with his kid in a baby carrier on his back? That was enough for me.

I was wondering why so many people seemed to dislike him. Then I read the above. What a dick.

lagerstarfish

• forum hero
  • Weapon Of Mass
#32 Re: Alain Robert antics...
February 18, 2009, 03:51:57 pm
Quote from: Lagerstarfish Media Events
Dear Mr Robert,
Further to out telephone conversation earlier today, I have noticed that you seem to have your head shoved quite firmly up your own arse. A proper front lever can only be achieved if you can extract yourself from this position and hold your whole body flat/straight. If you cannot commit to this then I see no reason in beginning our competition.
Also, I was looking for information about your solo climb that you did with a child on your back - can you send me pictures or any other information? thanks

Quote from: alainr@narcissus.fr
Dear Lagers,
it is not possible for me to get my head out of my arse - this is an affliction that makes me up to 60% disabled, but I am still able to do levers from this position. I feel sorry for you that you cannot accept my disability for the sake of our competition.
It is true that I have made the worlds most extreme free climb by climbing with my son in a bag on my back. I am no longer able to do this because instead I carry my enormous ego around with me instead which leaves little room for anyone else. I have removed all evidence of placing my children at risk from the internet to prevent social services from getting me arrested again - it is bad enough that they have found all the photos of me in handcuffs and bad Lycratm.
Yours, The Greatest
Alain

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal